IGNORED

Bristol City V St Johnstone Match Day Thread

class_not_gas

Too early to judge the defence, especially the CB position which we all know it isn't going to be the one that kicks off at the start of the season. Its most likely to be fontaine plus whoever Del signs. That video was like watching the defence early on last season so no shock for me at the defending, we already know without a new CB were still going to give away cheap goals. Nyatanga doesn't seem to be have made any progress since we signed him (or perhaps has gotten worse).

Too early to judge the defence, especially the CB position which we all know it isn't going to be the one that kicks off at the start of the season. Its most likely to be fontaine plus whoever Del signs. That video was like watching the defence early on last season so no shock for me at the defending, we already know without a new CB were still going to give away cheap goals. Nyatanga doesn't seem to be have made any progress since we signed him (or perhaps has gotten worse).

Where have you watched the highlights? Cant see anything on player.

Nyatanga doesn't seem to be have made any progress since we signed him (or perhaps has gotten worse).

Nyatanga generally is far better than when we first signed him. His distribution is the one thing that is still a liability.

it appeared that Nyatanga was responsible for several of the errors on show on the highlights. - i would hope of the '2 or 3' players Del is looking for , central defence is priority.

we looked sluggish, which is to be expected. their little winger looked a right handful though! but as ever we have a surfiet of wingers so dont need another!

thanks to StJohnny for posting those.

Nyatanga generally is far better than when we first signed him. His distribution is the one thing that is still a liability.

Nyatanga had a starring role in the first goal, if that was his idea of closing down an attacker, we have problems, he also had a bit part in the 2nd goal (although not the oscar quality of the 1st) he was incredibly hesitant, I know it was only the briefest of highlights but he looked a bag of nerves every time he featured, near the end he backed off and backed off allowing a totally unnecessary shot on goal, we need composure with our centre back pairing and Nyatanga will never be that. To be honest Cunningham looked lost also during the highlights, kept backing off and allowing far to many shooting opportunities and always looking to blame others, having said that with Nyatanga next to him I can understand why.

On the plus side Bolaisie looked good his crossing was dangerous, Stead was always a threat, we created quite a few chances, our free kicks looked more inventive for a change and even corners were accurate for once.

We looked rusty and put ourselves under pressure by failing to keep possession and giving the ball away in key areas, that needs to improve.

Nyatanga had a starring role in the first goal, if that was his idea of closing down an attacker, we have problems, he also had a bit part in the 2nd goal (although not the oscar quality of the 1st) he was incredibly hesitant, I know it was only the briefest of highlights but he looked a bag of nerves every time he featured, near the end he backed off and backed off allowing a totally unnecessary shot on goal, we need composure with our centre back pairing and Nyatanga will never be that. To be honest Cunningham looked lost also during the highlights, kept backing off and allowing far to many shooting opportunities and always looking to blame others, having said that with Nyatanga next to him I can understand why.

i was quite taken by the way Nyatanga was caught both flat footed AND ball watching for the first one - having watched his man lay the ball off, he then let him run through unopposed whilst staring at the feet of the other player, lovely application of his ability

i was quite taken by the way Nyatanga was caught both flat footed AND ball watching for the first one - having watched his man lay the ball off, he then let him run through unopposed whilst staring at the feet of the other player, lovely application of his ability

Still better than his performance against Ipswich opening day of last season. One of the worst I have ever witnessed from a city defender.

Lucky it is pre-season as some of that defending was shocking although the defence didn't get any help from our midfield.

Looks like there was a lot of arguing within the defensive unit and just goes to prove how desperate we are for a dominating leader at the back.

Bolasie looked good and on that form will give Albert a run for his place this season, much more end product.

What was the crowd and how many City were there?.

BCAGFC

I've never been one of those to criticise Nyatanga but his defending from that footage is woeful, left Louis on his own for the 2nd goal. He has been out injured for a long while though and it was his 1st real game back so I'm sure he'll improve.

He has improved so much since he first joined us but needs to cut out the stupid mistakes still. Crazy to think he's still only 23.

Still better than his performance against Ipswich opening day of last season. One of the worst I have ever witnessed from a city defender.

Considering Fontaine was directly at fault for what should have been two goals we conceded that day that doesn't say much for any of them. Yesterday is hardly an indictment on anyone, they created any number of chances from a combination of errors from our back line, in our first game back.

Can we make six points in eleven games this season? Doesn't look that way. Signs are the same. Lazy, half a sleep, no interest whatsoever. No pride.

Just for perspective, some of yesterday's results:

Barnsley 0-0 WBA

Cheltenham 1-0 Birmingham

Chester 2-1 Villa

Crawley 2-0 Millwall

Crewe 1-1 Bolton

Luton 2-0 Ipswich

It's not time to panic just yet!!

Archived