IGNORED

Strong Comments From Woolford

Port Said Red

Yep I remember your campaign of undying support for Woolford and for DMC it started at about 5pm on saturday 25th August 2012.

Selective memory EMB. I can't be arsed to trawl though previous threads to prove you wrong because I wouldn't get any pleasure from it.

Selective memory EMB. I can't be arsed to trawl though previous threads to prove you wrong because I wouldn't get any pleasure from it.

That's your standard response RR and everybody knows that.

Your last sentence proves everything anyone needs to know about you, last week you were telling everybody that you were right about everything you have spouted on this forum regarding BCFC and i'm sure pleasuring yourself at the same time.

What don't you get?

Turning a negative into a positive? Using cruel criticism as a motivator rather that a demoraliser? Adopting 'I'll prove to you what I'm capable of on the pitch' attitude

I will ignore effected instead of affected because I understood what you meant and also he instead of he has, but "reframe that criticism around" had me puzzling what he re-framed it around.

I do agree wiith the general spirit of your comments, but for the record, has anyone actually claimed to "know he would come good"? I certainly haven't, though I have been among the many who have spoken up on his behalf. What a lot of people have said is that they could see he had ability (which is confirmed by his record at his previous club) and quite a few of us weren't being wise after the event, because we said it even when he was playing badly.

No one could have been greatly surprised if he'd been let go this summer - I wouldn't have. And I was as exasperated and disappointed as the next person by his poor form. But what I would have felt is that it was a pity that we never saw the best of a talented footballer. It would also not have surprised me to see him go on and do well elsewhere, which is why I'm glad he's still here.

Both this thread and the other one ostensibly about Woolford have not just been about him specifically, but have in fact had a more general significance. A lot of it has been about the habit of some OTIB members of slagging off individual players - and the harm it can do. The importance to the forum of Woolford's rennaisance (quite apart from its value to the team) is that it seems to have finally got through to some people the inappropriateness, unfairness and futility of abusive (as opposed to balanced or constructive) criticism, which at least as far as I'm concerned has been heartening to see.

I haven't actually seen anyone go as far as claiming outright "I told you so", so I'd respectfully suggest your irritation is misplaced.

Completely agree I only referred to the "told you so" posters as I response to the other poster and stated that I didn't think many were doing that, I'm sure there are a few who have insinuated this. Just hope that some on here may now think twice before giving unnecessary abuse. However I don't think you can ever stop and shouldn't stop criticism of players as long as its about their performance and constructive.

However I don't think you can ever stop and shouldn't stop criticism of players as long as its about their performance and constructive.

Absolutely. Got no quarrel with that at all.

I've written this so many times on OTIB, but once more won't hurt: sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it.

You really have no shame do you?, the point is regardless of how his tenure as manager ended, he is historically our 3rd most successful manager of all time and that is what you cannot stomach and for you to claim that you knew it would end in the way that it did is just a lie and you don't even have the guts to admit what many on here know to be the truth about why you really hated GJ and as for your sudden love in with DMC you should give it rest because your support has only become apparent in the past 2 games.

I wouldnt bother, youd have more luck talking to a brick wall mate, everybody knows GJ pulled Robbored up on his negative behaviour as supports club "chairman" and Robbored has shown since then what his personality is really like.

Everybody from me to you to GJ knows that Robbored cannot be taken seriously as he cant let grudges go.

Its very very sad.

I hardly think you could ever be considered to be "right" about GJ. Now towards the end of his tenure I was one of the most vocal about the need for change, but if you look at his record of league management, he took Yeovil into the league and then into league one. He then took us into the Championship and then to the play-off final in what was admittedly a poor division that year and that was his level. Since he left us he was doing well at Peterborough until Golden Bollocks Ferguson became available again and then it was just a case of his face not fitting. Sure, it didn't work out at a poor Northampton Town, but he's since taken back over at Yeovil, saved them from the drop and taken them to the top of league one.

"Conference Manager" Right about GJ? You were about as right about GJ as you were about your mate Keef! So lay off the holier than thou bullshot RR.

Spot on.

Over two years since Gary has left and RR still wont let it go. :facepalm:

Spot on.

Hand up all those hoping that GJ can get Yeovil up this season just to read what RR has to say about it! :sub:

Spot on.

Wrong there. Other people keep bringing up the name Gary Johnson, not me. When they do they remember that I was one of his fiercest critics and drag up old stuff that I'd long forgotten about.

They also bring up my support for Millen, forgetting all along that they were saying the same things about Millen that I'd said about Johnson. Hypocritical.

The good news is that City have moved on (even if some forum users haven't) and now have a smart, sophisticated young manager who will I'm sure be a success at City

Wrong there. Other people keep bringing up the name Gary Johnson, not me. When they do they remember that I was one of his fiercest critics and drag up old stuff that I'd long forgotten about.

They also bring up my support for Millen, forgetting all along that they were saying the same things about Millen that I'd said about Johnson. Hypocritical.

The good news is that City have moved on (even if some forum users haven't) and now have a smart, sophisticated young manager who will I'm sure be a success at City

Couple of points. 1. Not one forum user had the same vendetta against Millen as you had of Johnson. 2. Millen didnt have any success here. Johnson bought us a promotion, a playoff final for the PREMIER league and stability.

I've never really been much involved in this interminable slanging match involving RR and others and don't particularly want to get caught up in it now, but just feel I've got to say two things from the perspective of a relatively detached onlooker.

First, there seems to be a small group of posters who still have a continuing issue with RR over the whole GJ thing and who are at daggers drawn with him about it. Johnson's reign was not lacking in controversy and I have my own views about him that I've stated fairly forcefully in the distant past, but my main attitude towards it now is that it's history. For what it's worth, it's my perception that these days it's less Robbo banging on about it and more a case of him never being allowed to forget it by those who keep on bringing it up. On that score, at least, even if I never agreed with him about anything else, I'd have to say in all honesty he has a valid point. The rest of us are pretty much disinterested bystanders.

Secondly, I'm afraid I've got to take issue with Atticus over Millen. To be honest, I can't believe anyone really thinks there was no vendetta against Millen, though it certainly wasn't chiefly the work of one individual, more like a small army. I have reason to remember it well, because I was so disgusted about what I considered at the time to be the sickening treatment by some of a decent man who had been a very good servant of the club for over a decade that I went into a sort of self-imposed exile from OTIB and hardly particpated at all for nearly a year. I've only recently poked my head above the parapet again - and will probably now promptly get it shot off, but in the cause of balance and fairness, I think it had to be said.

I've never really been much involved in this interminable slanging match involving RR and others and don't particularly want to get caught up in it now, but just feel I've got to say two things from the perspective of a relatively detached onlooker.

First, there seems to be a small group of posters who still have a continuing issue with RR over the whole GJ thing and who are at daggers drawn with him about it. Johnson's reign was not lacking in controversy and I have my own views about him that I've stated fairly forcefully in the distant past, but my main attitude towards it now is that it's history. For what it's worth, it's my perception that these days it's less Robbo banging on about it and more a case of him never being allowed to forget it by those who keep on bringing it up. On that score, at least, even if I never agreed with him about anything else, I'd have to say in all honesty he has a valid point. The rest of us are pretty much disinterested bystanders.

Secondly, I'm afraid I've got to take issue with Atticus over Millen. To be honest, I can't believe anyone really thinks there was no vendetta against Millen, though it certainly wasn't chiefly the work of one individual, more like a small army. I have reason to remember it well, because I was so disgusted about what I considered at the time to be the sickening treatment by some of a decent man who had been a very good servant of the club for over a decade that I went into a sort of self-imposed exile from OTIB and hardly particpated at all for nearly a year. I've only recently poked my head above the parapet again - and will probably now promptly get it shot off, but in the cause of balance and fairness, I think it had to be said.

Millen was always the cheap option as was Tinnion and both were unmitigated failures. Millen was loyal, but do not forget made a good living as an average player, an average coach and a well below average manager, he could get away with it as a player and coach but was found out big time as a manager, he was not media savvy and came across as passionless.

As for RR may I suggest that actually look more closely at the little hit and runs re-GJ that he does, he is retired now and obviously gets bored and playing bowls plainly isn't enough stimulation for him, so his other hobby is forum fishing, he is the one that makes the little snide remarks about GJ and then sits back and gets a kick out the abuse he receives and usually after a City win, he finds no fun in doing so when we lose.

The incontrovertible truth is GJ is the 3rd most successful manager in our entire history and has a promotion and a Premier League play off in the plus column as well as his feats at Yeovil.

The incontrovertible truth is GJ is the 3rd most successful manager in our entire history and has a promotion and a Premier League play off in the plus column as well as his feats at Yeovil.

Can't argue with that fact and I don't give a fig about what Johnson achieved before or after his City spell. The bottom line for me is that at no time during his spell did I feel entertained when I attended AG. There were the odd exceptions, I remember a very good half against the Blades ( I think ) and of course the play-off semi against Palace but thats pretty much it in nearly 4 seasons. The football even in the play-off season was predictable,turgid and dire. City's goals difference shows that. Few goals and even fewer entertaining games.Get one up and try to hang on. It was frustrating boring to witness.

The hangover from those days was finally erased last week with those exciting games against Palace and Cardiff. What a joy it was to see such flair and attacking play. I could hardly believe that I was watching a City team and I know that very many other City fans felt exactly the same way. Long may it continue.

Can't argue with that fact and I don't give a fig about what Johnson achieved before or after his City spell. The bottom line for me is that at no time during his spell did I feel entertained when I attended AG. There were the odd exceptions, I remember a very good half against the Blades ( I think ) and of course the play-off semi against Palace but thats pretty much it in nearly 4 seasons. The football even in the play-off season was predictable,turgid and dire. City's goals difference shows that. Few goals and even fewer entertaining games.Get one up and try to hang on. It was frustrating boring to witness.

The hangover from those days was finally erased last week with those exciting games against Palace and Cardiff. What a joy it was to see such flair and attacking play. I could hardly believe that I was watching a City team and I know that very many other City fans felt exactly the same way. Long may it continue.

The point is before GJ joined us we had largely languished in the Cesspit of the lower league. Bristol City the great sleeping giant playing attractive football against Stockport, Bury and Southend etc. Whoopeedo!

It seems you would rather we were still playing the same ilk in the lower league notching up cricket scores against 3rd rate opposition.

Whereas others failed Danny Wilson included etc.....GJ won promotion and then against all the odds got us to a play-off final.

It was a mixture of some good football and some last ditched backs to the wall defending that brought us to the brink of the Premier League. We fought at times like lions.

Record season ticket sales and crowds of 17.000+ seem to also to dispel that myth of yours that the football was boring.

But hey don't let the above facts get in the way of you re-writing history.

GJ 3rd most successful manager in our history, and you favoured.............Keef! :facepalm:

I

It was a mixture of some good football and some last ditched backs to the wall defending that brought us to the brink of the Premier League. We fought at times like lions.

Record season ticket sales and crowds of 17.000+ seem to also to dispel that myth of yours that the football was boring.

No even the most fanatical Johnson disciples can say that he had the team playing expansive,attacking football such as we saw last week. It was dull and predictable. The ST sales went up simply on the back of promotion and the play-off final. It didn't take long for those sale to dip again when the fans saw what was offer on the pitch.

No even the most fanatical Johnson disciples can say that he had the team playing expansive,attacking football such as we saw last week. It was dull and predictable. The ST sales went up simply on the back of promotion and the play-off final. It didn't take long for those sale to dip again when the fans saw what was offer on the pitch.

Which was still better then under Millens tenure.

But what Gary Johnson did was to put together a team that performed and once again made us proud to be City fans

OK in the first championship season we had a few backs to the wall performances, but we were up against teams superior to us in almost every position. We might not have been the most attacking team in the division, but you make us sound like the worse team in the division. I can remember that plenty of pundits and reporters were full of praise for the way GJ's team played football the right way. What I can remember that season was the huge amount of belief that we had in the team, and I was going to games expecting us to get a result, rather than hoping for a result , or not to bad a defeat as has been the case all too often since GJ's time.

Johnson had plenty of faults and failings, and even the most ardent GJsupporter would have to admit that he lost his way in that last season and had to go when he did. However, I never cease to be amazed at the way you refer to GJ as though the man achieived absolutely nothing during his time here. I imagine you walking up Wembley Way talking to fellow City fans before the play off final, and asking, in the style of John Cleese in Life of Brian " so what has Gary Johnson ever done for us?".

But what Gary Johnson did was to put together a team that performed and once again made us proud to be City fans

OK in the first championship season we had a few backs to the wall performances, but we were up against teams superior to us in almost every position. We might not have been the most attacking team in the division, but you make us sound like the worse team in the division. I can remember that plenty of pundits and reporters were full of praise for the way GJ's team played football the right way. What I can remember that season was the huge amount of belief that we had in the team, and I was going to games expecting us to get a result, rather than hoping for a result , or not to bad a defeat as has been the case all too often since GJ's time.

Johnson had plenty of faults and failings, and even the most ardent GJsupporter would have to admit that he lost his way in that last season and had to go when he did. However, I never cease to be amazed at the way you refer to GJ as though the man achieived absolutely nothing during his time here. I imagine you walking up Wembley Way talking to fellow City fans before the play off final, and asking, in the style of John Cleese in Life of Brian " so what has Gary Johnson ever done for us?".

He made us believe, he made us bounce....strangley though he never gave us roads ! :photo:

Top post. The 2 best years of my City supporting life were under Johnson. Fantastic times and 90% of our fans would agree, even if he did lose his way towards the end.

It could easily have been different with GJ too. The follow up to the play off season was dissapointing but we still finished in an impressive 10th position and in the season he left, I remember reading that we would have been 4th at the time of his departure, if second half stoppage time didn't exist!

I'm not saying he shouldn't have gone, as most agreed at the time it was the correct decision, but it could so easily have been different!

Archived