IGNORED

Warsaw Tuesday.

Taunton_City

Roy Hodgson is hamstrung by the same problem all England mangers are and forever will be. He's caught between being able to see what needs to be done, i.e. Get rid of the old guard and play the very decent kids we have coming through in a more progressive formation, and wanting to keep his job. If Roy turned round and said "I quite like Gerrard, Rooney, Cole, et al but I'm going to use the world cup qualifiers to experiment and we'll probably not qualify" even the more sensible elements of the press would string him up as soon as his youthful team lost away in Montenegro. He has to be cautious because this country won't allow him to be anything else. If we went gung-ho, played an open game and lost 4-3 last night he'd be getting just as much grief in the press. Can't win

HOWEVER, trying to counter-attack in a 442 with no pace in the team is at best an oversight and I think that for all their endeavour, Poland would have been there for the taking. Welbeck up front with Rooney, Ox on one wing and then you could afford to play Milner on the other to cover the liability that is Glen Johnson

In summary, I have some sympathy for Roy (or any England manager) but he ain't helping himself

Roy Hodgson is hamstrung by the same problem all England mangers are and forever will be. He's caught between being able to see what needs to be done, i.e. Get rid of the old guard and play the very decent kids we have coming through in a more progressive formation, and wanting to keep his job. If Roy turned round and said "I quite like Gerrard, Rooney, Cole, et al but I'm going to use the world cup qualifiers to experiment and we'll probably not qualify" even the more sensible elements of the press would string him up as soon as his youthful team lost away in Montenegro. He has to be cautious because this country won't allow him to be anything else. If we went gung-ho, played an open game and lost 4-3 last night he'd be getting just as much grief in the press. Can't win

HOWEVER, trying to counter-attack in a 442 with no pace in the team is at best an oversight and I think that for all their endeavour, Poland would have been there for the taking. Welbeck up front with Rooney, Ox on one wing and then you could afford to play Milner on the other to cover the liability that is Glen Johnson

In summary, I have some sympathy for Roy (or any England manager) but he ain't helping himself

no one expected anything at all from the euros, he could and should have used that tournament to bring through a younger generation to prepare them for 2014. the experience gained would have been invaluable for the qualifiers. instead, we were stuck with the likes of terry and even now he seems to insist on picking squads with an average age of 39.

To be fair, he's not terrible just very, very average. Suitable for lower positioned premier league clubs only. Should never have been near the England job.

He's terrible when it comes to managing England.

That's not entirely true. He didn't do to well at Liverpool although I guess he was hounded out.

no one expected anything at all from the euros, he could and should have used that tournament to bring through a younger generation to prepare them for 2014. the experience gained would have been invaluable for the qualifiers. instead, we were stuck with the likes of terry and even now he seems to insist on picking squads with an average age of 39.

And yet it is still constantly referred to as a 'disappointing campaign' in the media despite the fact that going out on penalties to the eventual runners up is a far better result than I thought we'd get

I do agree though- I'd like to see a much younger squad and those players given time to develop, but at least if you're going to pick the older chaps play them in a role that suits. Let Gerrard sit a bit deeper and play someone with more energy alongside him- Wilshere I imagine when fit, give Caulker a game or at the least Cahill. And if you can't pick te youngsters at least find some players with pace to counter attack for you Roy!!!

You know nothing. Our best spell followed Rooney coming off.

Rooney is living on borrowed time.

The last ten minutes we were under the kosh! And as for Rooney living on borrowed time...what a ridiculous statement, he is the best striker England have and i'll bet you he makes the next 2 major tournament squads unless he is injured.

Archived