IGNORED

20 Reasons Why L1 Is Better

barry_mack

I quite enjoyed the seasons 2002-2003, 2003/2004. Much better better than what were seeing now!

But the standard of football, it was just dross in league 1. There were some high points, granted and we had a decent team who occasionally knocked it about... But I remember a lot of sitting back on 1-0 leads too. Hoofball, Matt Heywood, Matt Hill kicking it out of play.

I dunno, league 1 was crap, is crap and will forever be crap.

But the standard of football, it was just dross in league 1. There were some high points, granted and we had a decent team who occasionally knocked it about... But I remember a lot of sitting back on 1-0 leads too. Hoofball, Matt Heywood, Matt Hill kicking it out of play.

I dunno, league 1 was crap, is crap and will forever be crap.

Heywood joined after the Wilson era, he was a Tinman signing. At least the midfield back then put this one we have now to shame. What we would do for a fit Tommy Doc and Tinnion in the middle now.

Heywood joined after the Wilson era, he was a Tinman signing. At least the midfield back then put this one we have now to shame. What we would do for a fit Tommy Doc and Tinnion in the middle now.

I know he did, they're just my abiding memories of league 1.

I would kill to have Tinman. He would tell Adomah how to play on the wing too.

Just ask gas fans if they thought the same about getting relegated and being a good team. it is a total and utter nonsense notion, most of his 'reasons' are not even 'reasons' they are consequences.

And now some have short memories and are saying that about going into the Conference.

With the massive influence finances have on football these days, coupled with the new rules coming in and the huge wages on long contracts, relegation is never a good thing. Plenty claim it might be before rejoicing staying up like their team has won the league.

What all this does show is the utter incompetence in which The Bristol clubs have been run.

I quite enjoyed the seasons 2002-2003, 2003/2004. Much better better than what were seeing now!

03/04 was mainly pretty dreadful. The football was tidy but negative and but for a run of single-goal victories over the Xmas period we'd have been mid-table. The excitement of the playoff semi-final is the overriding memory for most and it obscures the fact that we should have done much better and the non-event which was the playoff final. Not to mention the 3-0 defeat away at Wycombe.

When we were last promoted, some fans expressed on here they had looked forward to playing "bigger teams". That season Colchester & Southend were in the Championship whilst leeds & Forest remained in L1.

The OP contained some valid points, however.

L1 = compulsory entry to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

L1 = entering the FA Cup at Round 1, not reound 3.

L1 - travelling to the likes of Hartlepool & Carlisle instead of M'boro' or Newcastle.

L1 = less sponsorship

L1= less TV revenue

L1 = lower attendances

the last three all = lower income for City.

Being relegated does not mean coming back stronger. Norwich, Soton, Coventry, Bradford & swindon have all been in the Prem and all dropped to L1 (or lower for the last two). Saints & Norwich have come back up and returned to the Prem, but they are exceptions.

And now some have short memories and are saying that about going into the Conference.

With the massive influence finances have on football these days, coupled with the new rules coming in and the huge wages on long contracts, relegation is never a good thing. Plenty claim it might be before rejoicing staying up like their team has won the league.

What all this does show is the utter incompetence in which The Bristol clubs have been run.

33 years ago and a third of a century since we were top flight division one and you Gasmen were in the second tier of English football. Indeed, you're right, what this does show is the utter incompetence with which both Bristol clubs have been run since then. I used to really enjoy the Gloucestershire Cup final games at Eastville during the 70s because we'd always win. Those were the days and I feel sorry for the current generation of young Gas and City supporters because I doubt that those happy days will return.

33 years ago and a third of a century since we were top flight division one and you Gasmen were in the second tier of English football. Indeed, you're right, what this does show is the utter incompetence with which both Bristol clubs have been run since then. I used to really enjoy the Gloucestershire Cup final games at Eastville during the 70s because we'd always win. Those were the days and I feel sorry for the current generation of young Gas and City supporters because I doubt that those happy days will return.

Absolutely spot on Gobbers, the football from both Bristol clubs is a joke, and both boards appear to have lost any control over their futures...shame on both clubs, it will be a long long time before we see either club doing well again

I posted some time ago a comparison of Bristol & Stoke as both have two League teams.

Aug 76, Stoke played City in Div 1. April 2000 the clubs met again atWembley in the cup for lower div teams.

In the 12 years since, compare & contrast Stoke City with Bristol City and Port Vale with the Rovers.

For the record, Stoke's population is only just over half of Bristol's.

We will be at our level in terms of stadia, infrastructure, fans etc.

We will be at our level in terms of the football played.

It will mean we are 1 step closer to a Bristol derby.

We will be able to celebrate goals and wins again.

It will get rid of 90% of the morons on here who are just here because they are glory supporters.

If we lose the morons, we can go back to being a nicely close knit community, as opposed to the hostile environment we have seen over the last 5 years.

We will be able to clear out the squad so that Delboy can finally put the groundwork in and create his own team.

It will finally put an end to this new stadium nonsense.

We might be able to get some momentum and do a Southampton.

Lansdown will realise it's shit or bust in this industry, probably making him want to up sticks and write off his debts.

Fontaine will leave meaning we can move on to our next scapegoat (£10 says it's Nyatanga).

Ticket prices might go down.

We will get less media coverage, so won’t lose any of our unearthed diamonds to the big boys.

We will be a less attractive proposition, so will get less of the new breed of moron fans.

We will be able to look back on our hayday of 2007-2012.

We might be able to get GJ back.

Dear oh dear wanting your own team to get relegated, oh and by the way supporting one of the worst teams in the championship isn't glory hunting, and saying that 90% of us are morons? Get a grip you fool.

They do it in the german league. Read somewhere that a Dortmund season ticket is 190 euros, shame they can't do it here. Market forces I suppose.

The owner said he prefers a full stadium to an extra £5m a season because its the fans club. wish we could do that

I posted some time ago a comparison of Bristol & Stoke as both have two League teams.

Aug 76, Stoke played City in Div 1. April 2000 the clubs met again atWembley in the cup for lower div teams.

In the 12 years since, compare & contrast Stoke City with Bristol City and Port Vale with the Rovers.

For the record, Stoke's population is only just over half of Bristol's.

OK, I'll compare and contrast Bristol and Stoke......

Bristol is a Southern city with its wealthy roots in world maritime trade and was once England's second largest city prior to the industrial revolution. Stoke is a 'former' industrial Northern city with a far larger working class population than Bristol. Stoke City FC were original members of the football league in 1888 and Port Vale FC is also an older league club than Bristol City and Rovers. The traditional 'crap' club in Bristol is Rovers just as the traditional 'crap' club in Stoke is Port Vale.

Even with Stoke having a population half that of Bristol it's more of a traditional football city because of Stoke's larger working class population and the fact that Stoke is surrounded by cities with far higher achieving football clubs than any city anywhere near the Bristol area. Stoke is very much part of football's heartland while Bristol is way out on a limb in a football wilderness. Since we met Stoke City at Wembley in 2000, Stoke City are back in the top flight of English football where they started in 1888. We're back in the second tier of English football where we started in 1901. The Gas look to be on the verge of exiting the football league while Port Vale are now debt free and on the up after emerging from bankruptcy. One team in Bristol, two in Stoke. :banana:

Absolutely spot on Gobbers, the football from both Bristol clubs is a joke, and both boards appear to have lost any control over their futures...shame on both clubs, it will be a long long time before we see either club doing well again

I wish I wasn't spot on Bucksred. Alas, my post was based on the facts and - unfortunately - I agree with you in that I can't see either us or the Gas doing well anytime soon the way things are. Bristol was also more of a fun City back in the 70s and 80s with regards to motorbikes, you used to see rows of them parked up outside some pubs and in many streets. One of the last bike pubs I knew of in North Bristol - The Fox - is now a curry house !!!! Times they are a changing - and not for the better it seems.

OK, I'll compare and contrast Bristol and Stoke......

Bristol is a Southern city with its wealthy roots in world maritime trade and was once England's second largest city prior to the industrial revolution. Stoke is a 'former' industrial Northern city with a far larger working class population than Bristol. Stoke City FC were original members of the football league in 1888 and Port Vale FC is also an older league club than Bristol City and Rovers. The traditional 'crap' club in Bristol is Rovers just as the traditional 'crap' club in Stoke is Port Vale.

Even with Stoke having a population half that of Bristol it's more of a traditional football city because of Stoke's larger working class population and the fact that Stoke is surrounded by cities with far higher achieving football clubs than any city anywhere near the Bristol area. Stoke is very much part of football's heartland while Bristol is way out on a limb in a football wilderness. Since we met Stoke City at Wembley in 2000, Stoke City are back in the top flight of English football where they started in 1888. We're back in the second tier of English football where we started in 1901. The Gas look to be on the verge of exiting the football league while Port Vale are now debt free and on the up after emerging from bankruptcy. One team in Bristol, two in Stoke. :banana:

Famous Stoke players;

Peter Shilton

Stanley Matthews

Geoff Hurst

Peter Crouch

Gordon Bamks

Jimmy Greenhoff

George Eastham

Denis Smith

Sammy McIlroy

Nicky Morgan

Famous City players;

Andy Cole

John Atyeo

Norman Hunter

Joe Jordan

Famous Stoke players;

Peter Shilton

Stanley Matthews

Geoff Hurst

Peter Crouch

Gordon Bamks

Jimmy Greenhoff

George Eastham

Denis Smith

Sammy McIlroy

Nicky Morgan

Famous City players;

Andy Cole

John Atyeo

Norman Hunter

Joe Jordan

....don't forget that Bristol City had a truely great England player before Stoke's Gordon Banks and Stanley Matthews - our very own Billy Wedlock whose pub was demolished with the complicity of the Bristol Council planning traitors !!!!!! :gaah:

....don't forget that Bristol City had a truely great England player before Stoke's Gordon Banks and Stanley Matthews - our very own Billy Wedlock whose pub was demolished with the complicity of the Bristol Council planning traitors !!!!!! :gaah:

Yes, should have been a listed building. Any idea what happened to Billy's memorabilia, England caps etc ?

Yes, should have been a listed building. Any idea what happened to Billy's memorabilia, England caps etc ?

Maybe you should have stood for Bristol Mayor and I would have encouraged my fellow Bristolian patriots to vote for you. If I had my way, those involved in the criminal act of demolishing the Wedlock's Pub would be birched on Bristol Centre. :banana:

Famous Stoke players;

Peter Shilton

Stanley Matthews

Geoff Hurst

Peter Crouch

Gordon Bamks

Jimmy Greenhoff

George Eastham

Denis Smith

Sammy McIlroy

Nicky Morgan

Famous City players;

Andy Cole

John Atyeo

Norman Hunter

Joe Jordan

Thought you could of squeezed Carl Saunders between Stan Matthews and Geoff Hurst.

Famous Stoke players;

Peter Shilton

Stanley Matthews

Geoff Hurst

Peter Crouch

Gordon Bamks

Jimmy Greenhoff

George Eastham

Denis Smith

Sammy McIlroy

Nicky Morgan

Famous City players;

Andy Cole

John Atyeo

Norman Hunter

Joe Jordan

and not forgetting Alan Hudson, Denis Violett, Lee Chapman, Garth Crooks, Lee Dixon and Jimmy Mclroy

and not forgetting Alan Hudson, Denis Violett, Lee Chapman, Garth Crooks, Lee Dixon and Jimmy Mclroy

With regard to Alan Hudson, he's treated like a demi God at Stoke but I heard that Chelsea treated him relatively badly in his retirement. Considering the fact that Alan Hudson helped Chelsea win the FA Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup during the early '70s that's rather odd. Very odd also that Alan Hudson is a London born lad not a Potteries born lad.

We are not in leauge one and I really hope we don get there. Imo its no positives to get relegated. Someone said, Southampton and Norwich. Preston and Scunny? Big game tomorrow, SW 6 without win and 2-13 goalscore. Think we have chance to take points, but the team has to fight and fight. Always believe.

I think you're right, 2-0 to us I reckon

With regard to Alan Hudson, he's treated like a demi God at Stoke but I heard that Chelsea treated him relatively badly in his retirement. Considering the fact that Alan Hudson helped Chelsea win the FA Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup during the early '70s that's rather odd. Very odd also that Alan Hudson is a London born lad not a Potteries born lad.

That's because the average modern Chelsea management, players and especially their fans no nothing about Chelsea's history, most of them believe that their history started June 2003.

That's because the average modern Chelsea management, players and especially their fans no nothing about Chelsea's history, most of them believe that their history started June 2003.

Indeed, the current Chelsea owner is not interested in history. Though, I really do think that the longstanding Chelsea fans are concerned with the lack of respect for the club's history and, in particular, with Roberto di Matteo being treated like shit in being sacked and this certainly did raise protests. The Russian Roman Abramovich really does remind me of the former Georgian leader of Russia - Joe Stalin - completely ruthless and successful.

Archived