IGNORED

Retained List

Bcfc24

Doesn't mean the fella is off though, does it! He's going back up to see the family, before going on a lovely holiday I suspect - lucky bloke!

I'm sure that Stead has been offered a new deal, he'll have the usual 30 days to consider (and get other offers no doubt), then we'll find out for sure

30 days? i think the retained list is usually released during the week after the final game, and offers would have been made weeks ago for players the club wants to keep

the club dont have 30 days to wait and see if someone is staying

30 days? i think the retained list is usually released during the week after the final game, and offers would have been made weeks ago for players the club wants to keep

Believe me, this is city we're talking about, if they CAN make us wait, they WILL... I don't expect to hear anything till ATLEAST pre season training!

My worry is S'OD's love in with Kilkenny. The guy only knows how to pass it sides ways or back. Loses the ball in vital areas many times a game. And S'OD comes off the field singing his praises..

If he is going to build his team around KilKenny I think we are in for a midtable finish.

My fear is that those still in contract who need to go will still be here and likely to be in the team come August. Fontaine and Elliott need shifting but unless some mugs come in for them, they'll be part of the matchday squad as usual.

Given what SOD has said it won't be the clearout of the old guard that that people (including me) wanted, more of a cull. Disappointing, but predictable.

But how can SOD clear out contracted players?

I'm sure there's several contracted players SOD would like to go - but other clubs normally want your best players, not your worst !

Transfer listing players achieves nothing, Their agents would be (already) offering them around other clubs if they thought they could secure them a better wage somewhere else - I'm sure that's already happening with Albert.

SOD's a pragmatist - he knows he has no choice but to work with the contracted players plus whatever he can add within his budget.

It's a long standing problem, Millen couldn't get rid of Hunt or Stewart, McInnes couldn't get rid of Cklarkson etc etc & SOD will be no different.

It's a long standing problem, Millen couldn't get rid of Hunt or Stewart, McInnes couldn't get rid of Cklarkson etc etc & SOD will be no different.

Millen :grr::ranting: PLAY CISSE while we were paying him 25,000 a week, wasted money but should have been played! Missed him this year. Rock.

Does anyone know if Toby Ajala has been / or will be offered a new contract? His contract is out in the summer.

i think he will certainly get an extension

although he only came on for a minute or two on Saturday, i think that was symbolic and indicative that he will play some part

the key to this thread will be the announcement of the touring squad for Botswana

we will then see who figures and who doesn't

that will be mid June in my estimations

until then we are all guessing

All this speculation is stupid, no one knows ANYTHING YET and we won't know till the stat of next season, stop speculating, it does no one any good, just be patient and WAIT!

Some people do know things - jon atyeo is my dad has been proved correct re. Skuse for example.

Speculation is the part of the lifeblood of any forum, particularly at times like this, so if it irks you perhaps a football forum is not for you.

Could be completely wrong, but I think you'll find 30 days is pretty standard throughout the game, I'm sure that if someone isn't in touch within a week or so then the club knows they are more than likely leaving, but the offer will be open still

Could be completely wrong, but I think you'll find 30 days is pretty standard throughout the game, I'm sure that if someone isn't in touch within a week or so then the club knows they are more than likely leaving, but the offer will be open still

Our last game of the season was Sat 28th April last year, we released the list 2nd May http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17900036 - hopefully we don't have to wait too long!

There contracts don't expire until July 1st normally so if we've offered an OOC a contract they can string it along until then

Doesn't mean the fella is off though, does it! He's going back up to see the family, before going on a lovely holiday I suspect - lucky bloke! I'm sure that Stead has been offered a new deal, he'll have the usual 30 days to consider (and get other offers no doubt), then we'll find out for sure

Correct, just because he is driving north doesn't mean he is leaving us. However, he definitely is though.

Our last game of the season was Sat 28th April last year, we released the list 2nd May http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17900036 - hopefully we don't have to wait too long!

A retained list is somewhat different to the 'offered a new contract' list though. Just because a new contract has been offered, it doesn't mean they have to sign it that day! I'm sure you will see plenty of interviews with managers this summer who have given timescales for offers to be accepted by

Correct, just because he is driving north doesn't mean he is leaving us. However, he definitely is though.

An incredibly valid point there Sarge. I don't doubt for one minute that he won't leave, but tweeting he was on the M1 isn't an official confirmation from the club that he is

A retained list is somewhat different to the 'offered a new contract' list though. Just because a new contract has been offered, it doesn't mean they have to sign it that day! I'm sure you will see plenty of interviews with managers this summer who have given timescales for offers to be accepted by

An incredibly valid point there Sarge. I don't doubt for one minute that he won't leave, but tweeting he was on the M1 isn't an official confirmation from the club that he is

Stead may come down to the length of the contract we offer he's 30 now and hasn't had the best injury record, he may go for length rather then value at this stage in his career,

He does come across as a genuine footballer unlike others at this club

Stead may come down to the length of the contract we offer he's 30 now and hasn't had the best injury record, he may go for length rather then value at this stage in his career,

He does come across as a genuine footballer unlike others at this club

I think Stead does genuinely love the club, like you say, is a 2 year deal with a L1 club better than 1 with a Championship club right now? He's certainly one I'd keep if it adds up

I think Stead does genuinely love the club, like you say, is a 2 year deal with a L1 club better than 1 with a Championship club right now? He's certainly one I'd keep if it adds up

I think he's been happy at BCFC, and living in Bristol. but I don't for one second think he loves the club.

He's a personable chap, experienced and well versed at ingratiating himself to the fans by saying the right things at interviews. He's also a trier on the pitch when the chips are down which adds to his popularity and generally makes life easier for him.

BUT, he came to Bristol City for one over riding reason - we made him the best offer - and now he will leave Bristol City, no doubt with some regrets, but with his mind firmly on his next move and his next challenge.

At the end of next season we could no doubt read the forum of his next club and see similar comments of how he seems to love that club, what a nice chap he is etc. That's just the way he is, and probably the primary reason for having had such a good career as a nomadic low scorer.

When you talk of a player loving the club take a moment to compare it to the devotion of the fans, or indeed BCFC players like Geoff Merrick and Tom Ritchie who turned down a fortune by declining a move to Arsenal in their determination to bring success to BCFC.

Stead's got a big smile and a big heart, but, unlike Ritchie, Merrick, Gow, Sweeney etc., in a footballing sense that heart will forever belong to Huddersfield Town, and not Bristol City.

The relationship with BCFC has been nothing but a brief affair in the footballing love life of Jon Stead. We are one amongst many, and he'll have good and bad memories of all, but any ardour for Bristol City will soon dim when he moves on to his next temporary suitor.

I think he's been happy at BCFC, and living in Bristol. but I don't for one second think he loves the club.

He's a personable chap, experienced and well versed at ingratiating himself to the fans by saying the right things at interviews. He's also a trier on the pitch when the chips are down which adds to his popularity and generally makes life easier for him.

BUT, he came to Bristol City for one over riding reason - we made him the best offer - and now he will leave Bristol City, no doubt with some regrets, but with his mind firmly on his next move and his next challenge.

At the end of next season we could no doubt read the forum of his next club and see similar comments of how he seems to love that club, what a nice chap he is etc. That's just the way he is, and probably the primary reason for having had such a good career as a nomadic low scorer.

When you talk of a player loving the club take a moment to compare it to the devotion of the fans, or indeed BCFC players like Geoff Merrick and Tom Ritchie who turned down a fortune by declining a move to Arsenal in their determination to bring success to BCFC.

Stead's got a big smile and a big heart, but, unlike Ritchie, Merrick, Gow, Sweeney etc., in a footballing sense that heart will forever belong to Huddersfield Town, and not Bristol City.

The relationship with BCFC has been nothing but a brief affair in the footballing love life of Jon Stead. We are one amongst many, and he'll have good and bad memories of all, but any ardour for Bristol City will soon dim when he moves on to his next temporary suitor.

All sounds a bit cynical, but there's a lot of truth in there Noggers

The halcyon days of one club players are well and truly over, and the game is none the better for it

Why the excitement or even the interest in such a meaningless list?

We have already been told that none of the contracted players will be "transfer-listed" and that contracts (of sorts) will be offered (with little prospect of them being signed) to a few of the out-of-contract players (see other threads on Stead, Skuse, Heaton and Nyatanga).

Will the Retained List contain any real indication of the squad that will be here in August? - of course not - see other threads on Baldock, Davies and Albert.

Will the Retained List contain any reliable indication of SO'D's preferred outcome? - again of course not - "transfer-listing" is effectively a thing of the past and certainly does not make shifting unwanted players on good wages any easier. Does anyone imagine that the market did not know that Marcus Stewart, Lee Trundle, Nicky Hunt, JCR, LeeJ, Damion Stewart, Clarkson or Pittman were available for free (or close to it) to anyone prepared to match their absurd wages?

Once again, the players still here in August will (with perhaps only three or four exceptions) be those, whether currently under contract or not, that are unable to secure a more lucrative offer elsewhere. Bristol City will have very little control over this whether we like it or not. The exceptions are those that might attract a substantial fee (Adomah, Cunningham, Badock and Davies perhaps) who might be retained until/unless our expectations are met.

Why the excitement or even the interest in such a meaningless list?

We have already been told that none of the contracted players will be "transfer-listed" and that contracts (of sorts) will be offered (with little prospect of them being signed) to a few of the out-of-contract players (see other threads on Stead, Skuse, Heaton and Nyatanga).

Will the Retained List contain any real indication of the squad that will be here in August? - of course not - see other threads on Baldock, Davies and Albert.

Will the Retained List contain any reliable indication of SO'D's preferred outcome? - again of course not - "transfer-listing" is effectively a thing of the past and certainly does not make shifting unwanted players on good wages any easier. Does anyone imagine that the market did not know that Marcus Stewart, Lee Trundle, Nicky Hunt, JCR, LeeJ, Damion Stewart, Clarkson or Pittman were available for free (or close to it) to anyone prepared to match their absurd wages?

Once again, the players still here in August will (with perhaps only three or four exceptions) be those, whether currently under contract or not, that are unable to secure a more lucrative offer elsewhere. Bristol City will have very little control over this whether we like it or not. The exceptions are those that might attract a substantial fee (Adomah, Cunningham, Badock and Davies perhaps) who might be retained until/unless our expectations are met.

i think for some people it indicates where we're going

if it comes out that we've offered deals to a string of useless players, a lot of people may not renew or buy a ST

the club tend to also announce contraxct extensions on the same day

"Meanwhile, the club has handed new 7 year deals to Pearson and Foster, who have been named co-captains"

Archived