IGNORED

Retained List

Bcfc24

Nyatanga has been part of a struggling defence since he's been here.

In each of his 4 seasons, he's started 33 games, 20 games, 30 games and 19 games.

In 102 starts for us, I've not been convinced, and I would like to hear from anyone who has?

For some reason people are claiming he's been our best defender recently - when in fact that is no great shakes.

Since SOD arrived, Nyatanga has started in 4 victories, 4 draws and 8 defeats, conceding 23 goals.

Yes, he was part of the team that managed to convince us all they were going to put a fight in to stay up, but now I think we all know that 9 game spell was simply down to the usual new manager bounce effect. No-one will convince me that Nyatanga has played well in any more than 10 or so of his 102 starts with this club. For me, he doesn't deserve a new deal to be offered - he is one of the players we really should have taken the opportunity to move on.

As for Carey, well I must admit to being shocked by this one too. Did anyone actually see how slow he was v Charlton. Sorry, but he's had it, and we shouldn't be showing any sentiment, he should be gone. I don't think it's relevant that he's only going to be on £850 per week. With Nyatanga probably being offered anything up to £3k per week or maybe more, you could easily replace these 2 with 2 young defenders with potential from lower leagues, probably costing no more than about £1.5k each per week (i.e. less that the total spend on these 2).

This is a waste of £850 per week and a waste of a squad place.

Don't get me wrong, Carey has served BCFC well, but it ought to be time to move on - there is no time like the present.

As for Nyatanga, again, I challenge anyone to tell me that they've been convinced about the bloke over his 4 seasons with us. I've never heard a good word to say about him on here until it was leaked last week that we might offer him a deal, then all of a sudden he's everyone's favourite!!

Harry, Glyn Riley and I have been warning for a couple of weeks now that the spin coming out of AG was softening up for a disappointing clear out and so it is, only 2 back up goalkeepers have actually been shown the door, the club tried to keep 4 others out of contract and of course not forgetting our wonderful short contract signings, who mix them altogether and you couldn't make 1 fit and useful footballer out of.

In each of his 4 seasons, he's started 33 games, 20 games, 30 games and 19 games.

In 102 starts for us, I've not been convinced, and I would like to hear from anyone who has?

For some reason people are claiming he's been our best defender recently - when in fact that is no great shakes.

Since SOD arrived, Nyatanga has started in 4 victories, 4 draws and 8 defeats, conceding 23 goals.

Yes, he was part of the team that managed to convince us all they were going to put a fight in to stay up, but now I think we all know that 9 game spell was simply down to the usual new manager bounce effect. No-one will convince me that Nyatanga has played well in any more than 10 or so of his 102 starts with this club. For me, he doesn't deserve a new deal to be offered - he is one of the players we really should have taken the opportunity to move on.

As for Carey, well I must admit to being shocked by this one too. Did anyone actually see how slow he was v Charlton. Sorry, but he's had it, and we shouldn't be showing any sentiment, he should be gone. I don't think it's relevant that he's only going to be on £850 per week. With Nyatanga probably being offered anything up to £3k per week or maybe more, you could easily replace these 2 with 2 young defenders with potential from lower leagues, probably costing no more than about £1.5k each per week (i.e. less that the total spend on these 2).

Don't get me wrong, Carey has served BCFC well, but it ought to be time to move on - there is no time like the present.

As for Nyatanga, again, I challenge anyone to tell me that they've been convinced about the bloke over his 4 seasons with us. I've never heard a good word to say about him on here until it was leaked last week that we might offer him a deal, then all of a sudden he's everyone's favourite!!

He won't be on anything like as 'little' as £850 p/w - that was the young goalkeeper people were talking about.

I totally agree about Carey, I simply can't believe it and like you I genuinely don't care how much he's going to be on, I'd rather we offered that to someone from the Conference (you mentioned 2 possibles the other day) someone who might actually improve and if they don't, well, what have we lost?

I'll make this case for Nyatanga, under S O'Ds coaching I did see signs of improvement in him and if we could shift Fontaine and James Wilson on I'd have happily have kept him on. At 24 he is very experienced and whilst I accept he's been poor for a large part of his City career but next year in League One he's the best aerially of what we have and his admittedly poor distribution wouldn't be such an issue.

I could be wrong but I think the point is moot anyway because I think he's (and Heaton) going to get a better offers from elsewhere, perhaps it is best all round if he does..

I don't buy this idea that Nyatanga improved. He didn't really. He still looked like a rabbit in headlights on the ball, he still lost his marker too often and got left for dead and manhandled, and he was part of the worst defence in the division by a country mile. All the things Derby fans told us really. The only saving grace for Nyatanga was that at times Fontaine looked worse. As much as I like S. O'D I think he has this one wrong and he isn't going to suddenly turn a poor player with several hundred games under his belt into a useful one.

Here's a prediction for you: I think Nyatanga will continue to be poor next season, and we will regret offering him and Carey (through lack of availability) an extension instead of putting the resources into bringing in two centre halves of higher quality. I'd bet on Fontaine being a whole lot better next time around as well.

I agree apart from the last sentence.

Like what I hear, but hate what I see.

So SoD's new attractive, free-flowing, dynamic team is going to be based on a core of Tangs, Fonts, Killa, plus Skuse, if he would've signed.

What?!!!?

Jesz, I know we're dropping down a level but we'd need to (and will) drop a few more before those lot become quality 'impact' players.

Frightening.

I have no reason to believe the numbers quoted on this thread are correct but we did manage to burn £17M on wages in 2011-12 which suggests that >£10K/week was the norm rather than the exception among first-team regulars!

The Baldock figure is somewhat higher than we might have hoped but still certainly lower than Stead, Maynard and James and quite possibly lower than Stewart and Hunt - therefore DMcI could rightly claim as he did.

Given that Marvin has been a first-team regular since his arrival in 2008 there is no reason to be surprised that his salary increased in line with Skuse and hence £11K/wk, although staggering, is believable.

None of us know what reductions are in place for relegation. On one hand they must be significant if Sean's 88% is to be believed but on the other hand I find it hard to believe any established Championship player would have agreed to more than 25%. In any event we can be pretty sure that if Baldock and Elliott started at £16K and £11K their 3rd division rate will be well in excess of £5K - probably more like £12K and £8K I would have thought. The thing is if they are still here in August we will need them to earn it next season!

Straight from the horses mouth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22313358

Can't argue with a word of that Harry.

I've not commented on yesterdays announcement yet , I was hoping to wake up this morning and find out it wasn't true !!

Unfortunately it is , and as Esmond said , what I've been worrying about for the last couple of weeks has come to pass.

I can only hope , if Carey and Nyatanga accept the contracts on offer , that Fontaine and Wilson are sold during the summer and we can bring in 2 new CB's , because they are desperately required.

I can only assume if we don't move those 2 on that the management team have given up on promotion next season , as if we were to achieve it , we would surely be looking to bring in 4 new CB's next season ?

Archived