IGNORED

Fergie To Call It A Day?

Brizzle Jordan

Nowhere near the biggest job in football.

Of course it is. What other teams have had the level of dominance that United have over a strong domestic league? They have been the team in England for the past 2 decades.. no one can compete. In Italy there are rises and falls between Milan, Inter and Juventus - and the league there isn't the greates. Bayern maybe - but are they such a global brand? no. Then you have Real. Big big team no doubt, but do they have the unrivalled recent success? No. And do they have the stability which will make United the best club for managers looking for work? No. Then Barca. They have the recent success, but look at their turnover and attendances compared to United. Simply put United are the best. Oh but Liverpool are bigger, I forgot, 5 times and all.

Man U have won more than half their titles in the same period...,,

Fair point, but they've always been a relatively big club. Prior to the 1990's Barcelona were considerably off of Real Madrid. Fact is, Man Utd are considerably more valuable, have many more fans, and have been a bigger club for longer.

Regardless, it's a pretty close argument, but even if Barcelona are bigger than Utd, it's only them and Real Madrid that are. No other jobs are even close to United/Barca/Real. The suggestions of PSG, AC Milan and Juventus are laughable.

The Germans are starting to get on my tits with their arrogance. Bayern get to two finals and suddenly they're claiming the Bundasliga is the bedt in the world? Yes thst league does alot right especially for fans, but aside from Bayern and this season Dortmund theyve been a joke in europe for years.

Yeah, just like the Premier League's arrogance calling itself the 'best league in the world' when it's the same top 4 every season.

I'm certainly not, never have been and never will be a Man U fan and despise their so called supporters that have never seen them play but I have to admire the job Ferguson has done there. It's an impossible task to follow him but nobody could deny the bloke a chance to enjoy his retirement and vast wealth, especially if his health is on the wane.

Wether he could actually retire is another question? I know he is well into his horse racing etc but life after football could be the end of him, it's all he's ever known I would guess!

I can only think of one man who has an ego big enough to follow Sir Alex and we all know who that is!

Good on him if he decides to pack it in and enjoy his retirement.

Who would you say has been the biggest club in England since the start of their history? Obviously Utd have been for a while now but before Fergie, they weren't nothing special were they?

I'd go for Liverpool

Yeah, just like the Premier League's arrogance calling itself the 'best league in the world' when it's the same top 4 every season.

Hardly same top 4 every season, a few seasons ago it was, but since then Everton, Man City and Spurs have challenged a lot!

Spain only has a top 2

Who would you say has been the biggest club in England since the start of their history? Obviously Utd have been for a while now but before Fergie, they weren't nothing special were they?

I'd go for Liverpool

Surely it's Barcelona r**ers isn't it? The way their fan (yes, I did that on purpose) bangs on about our demise, they must be huuuge!!

In al seriousness, I would probably say it's Man U now.

I'd go for Liverpool

They have always been a huge club. Some great teams in the 50's and 60's some of the best players to play on these shores. It's between Man Utd and Liverpool for the biggest in England. I think they share the exact number of trophies won.

They have always been a huge club. Some great teams in the 50's and 60's some of the best players to play on these shores. It's between Man Utd and Liverpool for the biggest in England. I think they share the exact number of trophies won.

I think Liverpool edge it on European trophies though. After them two I'll probably say Arse or Villa

I'd go for Liverpool

The premier league was made for Man United and they've been on top in the filthy lucre era. Before that Liverpool, but they weren't up to much before the 70s, Leeds before that. It was shared around a bit before that, mores the pity it isn't today. Spurs, Preston, Blackpool, Bolton, Wolves all had their day. For consistent performers I'd have to go for Everton or Arsenal.

The premier league was made for Man United and they've been on top in the filthy lucre era. Before that Liverpool, but they weren't up to much before the 70s, Leeds before that. It was shared around a bit before that, mores the pity it isn't today. Spurs, Preston, Blackpool, Bolton, Wolves all had their day. For consistent performers I'd have to go for Everton or Arsenal.

Didn't Burnley also have a stint of success in the 50s?

I'd go for Liverpool

If United 'weren't anything special' before Ferguson with 7 championships and a European Cup than surely you would apply the same logic and say that Liverpool weren't anything special before Shankly as their haul before him read only 5 championships.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with the question of who has been the biggest club since the start of their history, but the most successful clubs when the football league was originally formed were Preston, Sunderland and Aston Villa.

As much as I hate them, by any worthwile measurement you would have to say United are the biggest club in England.

About as much as we did in the 70s!

Yeah but we didn't win the first division. Would of much preferred it then with all different teams having the chance to win the league! No parachute payments and all this crap, no money grabbing agents, no sky! I was definitely born in the wrong era.

If United 'weren't anything special' before Ferguson with 7 championships and a European Cup than surely you would apply the same logic and say that Liverpool weren't anything special before Shankly as their haul before him read only 5 championships.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with the question of who has been the biggest club since the start of their history, but the most successful clubs when the football league was originally formed were Preston, Sunderland and Aston Villa.

As much as I hate them, by any worthwile measurement you would have to say United are the biggest club in England.

Well they weren't the biggest club in England before Fergie? Leeds or Liverpool were at that time. Just interested to hear other people's views that's all.

Yeah but we didn't win the first division. Would of much preferred it then with all different teams having the chance to win the league! No parachute payments and all this crap, no money grabbing agents, no sky! I was definitely born in the wrong era.

It wasn't so long ago that the likes of Norwich and Southampton could finish in the top four, Forest could win the league. Then Sky came along and killed it.

Well they weren't the biggest club in England before Fergie? Leeds or Liverpool were at that time. Just interested to hear other people's views that's all.

First English team to win the European cup, with Charlton, Law & Best. That would have made them fairly big I'd expect.

Why Leeds?

If you are looking to play down the size of United because they had only won 7 titles before Ferguson then surely Leeds standing at 3 wouldn't make them bigger...

Size of club is an almost impossible thing to decide as everybody will have different criteria for how they decide a size of any club. For example for me, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland and maybe even Wolves are bigger clubs than Chelsea due to their history, but I fully accept people would disagree strongly with me over this.

If you are basing it purely on league titles than going into the Premier League era United would have been the joint fourth biggest team in England with Aston Villa behind Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton.

Archived