IGNORED

Best Keeper You Have Seen Play For City?

Taylor10

Apologies if this has been done before. As we don't currently have any senior keepers under contract at the club at present I was just wondering who everyone consider's to be the best keeper they have ever seen play for City? Thoughts?

I have been watching City since 1993. I would say Basso is easily the best keeper I have seen in my time.

Sieb Dykstra for me. Only on loan, but didn't put a foot wrong. He was huge.

That said I'm not sure he was thstt consistent for most of his career. But for us he was pretty damn good.

I have been watching since mid 80's and for me would have to be Keith Waugh or Andy Leaning. Keith Welch was up there as well, just for his 'tache!

Don't forget the sideburns!

Mercer was tidy. Basso certainly had character and probably the best shot stopper but still somewhat of a liability at times.

Basso was as southvilekiddy said was more than a player. Always believe was an ethos that defined the Johnson era. He helped carry the team when the chips were down, and it was no surprise we struggled when he left. Phillips was a good, reliable (great trait for a keeper) keeper, no fuss, and his save vs everton remains the best save I've ever seen live.

Basso was as southvilekiddy said was more than a player. Always believe was an ethos that defined the Johnson era. He helped carry the team when the chips were down, and it was no surprise we struggled when he left. Phillips was a good, reliable (great trait for a keeper) keeper, no fuss, and his save vs everton remains the best save I've ever seen live.

That's why for me I would go for Basso over Mercer.

Mercer was a quality keeper that's for sure and I rated him highly. However, Basso really had everything. It wasn't just his ability as a player, but the way in which he excited and engaged the crowd as well as being the huge personality that this club needs.

Basso for me, The way he held onto the ball instead of these fancy tips around the post, If he could catch it he did, Great trait for a keeper as you don't need to worry about defending after that

I saw Phillips a couple of times but not up there with Basso,

For me it goes

1.Basso

2.Heaton

3.Phillips

-James

4.Gerken

5.Weale

6.Federici

7.Henderson

8.Mairehofer

Basso for me, The way he held onto the ball instead of these fancy tips around the post, If he could catch it he did, Great trait for a keeper as you don't need to worry about defending after that

I saw Phillips a couple of times but not up there with Basso,

For me it goes

1.Basso

2.Heaton

3.Phillips

-James

4.Gerken

5.Weale

6.Federici

7.Henderson

8.Mairehofer

No Fontaine? ;)

Ray Cashley simply because he did it the old first division and didn't look out of place.

Although he was small for a keeper, he was fearless and had a great understanding with the defenders and the supporters, ask anyone who was in Platform one that famous night that bloke caught his face on ray's glass!!!!

Couldn't agree more, arrived injured and left injured 4 years and 30 games later, not BCFC's greatest moment, how did he ever get through a medical?.

Also Ronnie Sinclair!

Played about 40 games for us over 3 seasons and was sold for about 20k to stoke I think.

Have people been on the sherry today!

Mercer would have kept phil lips out easily if he had not had a career ending injury. My top 3 would be moller. Gibson bass in that order. But shew cashley mercer sinclair weigh wench leaning phillips weale were all good keepers. Its one position weve consistently had quality in. Let's hope the new signing whoever he may be carries on the trend!

Archived