IGNORED

Best Keeper You Have Seen Play For City?

Taylor10

Basso

I agree. As a City fan since 1976 I can say he was not the most consistently skilled keeper we ever had.

For a start, his dead ball kicking skills left something wanting.

BUT - apart from making several brilliant saves in his time with us, much more importantly:

He was INSPIRATIONAL to the whole team (and the fans) and he fired up our defence.

I am a confirmed aethist, but even I loved the way he put both of those big hands upwards to his God at the start of games (and sometimes during games).

Oh Basso, Oh Basso !!

Any chance he could come back ?

I would not have a problem with that.

BASSO. Spread belief through the team. Irreplaceable man

Johnson could find people like that.

+1

We've actually been spoilt for keepers over the years... Basso, Mercer, Leaning, Deikstra, Welch, Waugh, Hooper, Moller off the top of my head.

Just thought of another one, only on loan but had a fantastic game or too for us (despite his gas routes)... The late Tim Carter.

anyone remember barry watlin? around the same time as cash,bond,shaw, i think?

im sure slartibartfast will put me right!

Yes, you're WRONG , Watling was Gibbo's understudy. Made, I believe, one appearance, last game of the season at a 5-0 defeat at Cloughies Derby (saved a pen though).

How about Jock Mahoney, saw him save a pen in a rare cameo appearance at QPR in a 2-2 draw . Memories !

Yes, you're WRONG , Watling was Gibbo's understudy. Made, I believe, one appearance, last game of the season at a 5-0 defeat at Cloughies Derby (saved a pen though).

How about Jock Mahoney, saw him save a pen in a rare cameo appearance at QPR in a 2-2 draw . Memories !

knew youd put me right! remember jock,he went to torquay from us did he not?

A bit before my time but I've heard the Rovers keeper Bernard Hall was quite good. He suffered a head injury playing against Middlesbrough and never played again. Middlesbrough at that time seemed to know how to end a players career.

I never saw him play so can't comment. Can anyone remember him?

yes thats right he was in a coma for some time after that game.

'The Joke' Basso? Remind me of the career he had before us and after us? Remind me of his attitude towards us over his departure? I remember the joke of a keeper he was against the likes of Cheltenham, Yeovil, Cardiff. Granted he was a half decent keeper for us, but he was no better than a striker who had a couple of 10+ seasons for us, like a Thorpe, Byfield etc. anyone who thinks he was our greatest ever keeper is deluded.

you sure slart he only played one game?

i cant believe i remember him from one appearance for us!

Best individual performance I ever saw was Andy Leaning away at Oxford Utd in the league cup. Bit hazy on the details but think was his first game due to injury and we won 4-2. Must have been late 80s/early 90s?? Unbelievable performance.

We have been lucky with the quality of keepers we've had but for all round charisma and feel good factor for me its Basso.

'The Joke' Basso? Remind me of the career he had before us and after us? Remind me of his attitude towards us over his departure? I remember the joke of a keeper he was against the likes of Cheltenham, Yeovil, Cardiff. Granted he was a half decent keeper for us, but he was no better than a striker who had a couple of 10+ seasons for us, like a Thorpe, Byfield etc. anyone who thinks he was our greatest ever keeper is deluded.

People are posting in their opinion the best keeper that they've seen play for city, and if you've only been going for the past 15 odd years like me (16 next season!) Basso is easily the bes I've seen.

Best individual performance I ever saw was Andy Leaning away at Oxford Utd in the league cup. Bit hazy on the details but think was his first game due to injury and we won 4-2. Must have been late 80s/early 90s?? Unbelievable performance.

We have been lucky with the quality of keepers we've had but for all round charisma and feel good factor for me its Basso.

I was there too, a great game. I just searched for him and found he is a goalkeeping coach at Leeds. What is it about all our ex players going on to coaching/management roles, seems they are better at teaching than actually playing! It says he signed November 1988, yes 1988, where did that time go. It says we had him on loan for a month before. From memory I thought it was his debut too, did he play because of injury to our first choice maybe?

I remember him making save after save, Oxford were a high profile team back then, maxwell had been chairman, but left by then but he had spent money on big name players, Dean Saunders etc, and they certainly were quite a scalp.

I remember Leaning being unlucky though, the ball went over the top of him, hit the crossbar, bounced off it and hit him on the back of the head for him to score an own goal, fluky goal.

I'm going slightly off track here, but wasn't it after that game that Man U bought Ralph Milne, he did have a blinder, but £150,000, never in a million years!

On the subject of keepers was it leaning or Waugh, I can't remember, who we're solid keepers until the back pass rule came into play then suddenly they struggled.

A bit before my time but I've heard the Rovers keeper Bernard Hall was quite good. He suffered a head injury playing against Middlesbrough and never played again. Middlesbrough at that time seemed to know how to end a players career.

I never saw him play so can't comment. Can anyone remember him?

Yes, John O'rourke "did" him . He worked at Rolls Royce when I was there in 70's as a labourer, poor guy, never the same after that injury.

Easy Mike Gibson every time, a true BCFC legend unlike some mentioned.

He was good in his day, but this was the old division 3. He was only approx 5’ 10” tall so would not have been able to compete at today’s Championship standard.

Ray Cashley

He was the only keeper I saw who scored a goal so he must be near the top of the list.

Archived