IGNORED

Best Keeper You Have Seen Play For City?

Taylor10

He was good in his day, but this was the old division 3. He was only approx 5’ 10” tall so would not have been able to compete at today’s Championship standard.

He was the only keeper I saw who scored a goal so he must be near the top of the list.

gibson kept goal in div 2 for a few years.

He was good in his day, but this was the old division 3. He was only approx 5’ 10” tall so would not have been able to compete at today’s Championship standard.

2 seasons in the old 3rd division the rest (8 years) in the old 2nd division, so please with all of the respect that I can muster, but I and a few others who actually know about our clubs history and about true BCFC legends, will totally ignore you're factually incorrect and inaccurate assessment of Mike Gibson.

'The Joke' Basso? Remind me of the career he had before us and after us? Remind me of his attitude towards us over his departure? I remember the joke of a keeper he was against the likes of Cheltenham, Yeovil, Cardiff. Granted he was a half decent keeper for us, but he was no better than a striker who had a couple of 10+ seasons for us, like a Thorpe, Byfield etc. anyone who thinks he was our greatest ever keeper is deluded.

For us, he was great Rich. One thing about him was that if he did make errors in games he would invariably make up for them with some fantastic saves.

I remember at Huish Park he made a ridiculous blunder but made amends for it seconds later with an incredible point blank save...

Don't forget he was known as Mr Magoo by his them mates.

aye didn't he use to play wit contacts, I'm sure he lost one in a game at the gate and had to get a spare lot from the changing room, against brentford or someone like that....

aye didn't he use to play wit contacts, I'm sure he lost one in a game at the gate and had to get a spare lot from the changing room, against brentford or someone like that....

Yes he did wear contacts,not sure what the game was,I'm sure some statto will let us know.

Yes he did wear contacts,not sure what the game was,I'm sure some statto will let us know.

'The Joke' Basso? Remind me of the career he had before us and after us? Remind me of his attitude towards us over his departure? I remember the joke of a keeper he was against the likes of Cheltenham, Yeovil, Cardiff. Granted he was a half decent keeper for us, but he was no better than a striker who had a couple of 10+ seasons for us, like a Thorpe, Byfield etc. anyone who thinks he was our greatest ever keeper is deluded.

You're wrong mate. Did you see his penalty save from Henderson? Talk about Superman flying through the air horizontally.

And all of that is without his tremendous ability to bring a team together and make them believe in themselves. Without him no promotion in my opinion.

We'll never know the truth about his departure. I'm not the only fan to think that the Club worked him over.

It's virtually impossible for a player to put his side of the story.

I know who I would believe on this one and it's not Gary Johnson.

2 seasons in the old 3rd division the rest (8 years) in the old 2nd division, so please with all of the respect that I can muster, but I and a few others who actually know about our clubs history and about true BCFC legends, will totally ignore you're factually incorrect and inaccurate assessment of Mike Gibson.

With all the respect that I can muster, I do know something about the history of Bristol City as I’ve been watching them since the 1950s. O.K. I got the Mike Gibson division 3 bit wrong, but he was only 5’ 10” tall. (He’s probably a bit shorter now as people do get shorter as they age).

A 5’ 10” goalkeeper would not be successful in todays Championship (an accurate assessment). I can’t find a site that gives the average height of Championship goalkeepers, but the one below (slightly out of date) shows that it’s 6’ 3” for the Premier league.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7556517_average-goalkeeper-height.html

You're wrong mate. Did you see his penalty save from Henderson? Talk about Superman flying through the air horizontally.

And all of that is without his tremendous ability to bring a team together and make them believe in themselves. Without him no promotion in my opinion.

We'll never know the truth about his departure. I'm not the only fan to think that the Club worked him over.

It's virtually impossible for a player to put his side of the story.

I know who I would believe on this one and it's not Gary Johnson.

He was offered a contract that would of made him our highest paid player like Maynard was he turned it down thinking he could get better

As for te Johnson comment I think the seasons since he has left has proven that he was right to be tough on the over paid little darlings

I was told that it was personal differences between gj +basso. Basso couldn't handle gj, s constant mocking of his faith!--back to bullying again!

Yet no witnesses for the alleged bullying

Which is doubtful because most of the players fb signs end up signing for him multiple times

Mcindoe, Fontaine, nYatanga, Edwards, Williams, Mcallister weale jevons Johnson jr and countless others have all signed for him more the once

If he was such a bully they wouldn't do that

I suppose we were worried they'd sign elsewhere so made them offers they couldn't refuse ?

If that is the case, have lessons not been learned, or are we back on a vicious cycle of failure?!

If that is the case, have lessons not been learned, or are we back on a vicious cycle of failure?!

I believe lessions have been learnt,

Our longest contract we handed out was to Cunningham which was a 5 year and a good investment

The next longest was handed out to davies and Baldock which were 3 years and is sensable due to the amount we paid for the both of them,

The rest get 2 years to 18 months,

Wages are now becoming sustainable thanks to the new board putting clauses in the new players contracts

So yes we have learnt our lession, We will be in a better postion then most championship clubs who "went for it" this season and failed (Brighton, Leicester etc...) because we embraced FFP early,

He was offered a contract that would of made him our highest paid player like Maynard was he turned it down thinking he could get better

As for te Johnson comment I think the seasons since he has left has proven that he was right to be tough on the over paid little darlings

Like I said that's the Club's version of events.

As for Gary Johnson, I'll always love him for the 4 magical years he gave us but eventually he undid himself, mainly with Nepotism, not with bullying.

Like I said that's the Club's version of events.

As for Gary Johnson, I'll always love him for the 4 magical years he gave us but eventually he undid himself, mainly with Nepotism, not with bullying.

That was also Basso's agents version of events who recommending him to sign the contract

Can't believe anyone would put Waugh on the list, I reckon his eyesight wasn't all that, if someone shot from 20+ yards it would fly in

Dykstra was a total animal, and his kicks were mahoosive IIRC

But I'd go for Ronnie Sinclair

Has to be Jan Moller. A Man Mountain.

Mike Gibson behind him. I was only young when he was number one,

Also remember Mark Prudhoe, who came on loan from Carlisle I think(?). Seemed to bring the ball out almost to the half way line before chipping up field.

Probably memories playing tricks with my mind.

Was it Walsall? I remember a loanee from Walsall.

Keith Waugh for me. Although he once tipped a ball onto my head.

Phillips is up there. Despite his judgement on crosses he pulled off a lot of cracking saves.

Billy Mercer was solid but out too long.

But for me my favourite has to be Adriano Basso

The penalty save and follow up save v Everton in the cup was one of the best bits of goalkeeping I've seen for a while at Ashton Gate.

Who's to say, I think it was a similar scenario to when we nearly went bust in '82, so has happened previousy. Difference this time is we had someone who could bankroll it in SL.

Archived