IGNORED

Marlon Harewood

citylad05

If the rumours are true and Baldock goes, we will need someone else with a bit of experience for when Davies or Taylor get injured.

Harewood could be useful, but I wouldn't want to see him start ahead of our other strikers, and why would he want to drop into League 1 and then be a bench-warmer? Or that we would want to pay him much either.

If the rumours are true and Baldock goes, we will need someone else with a bit of experience for when Davies or Taylor get injured.

Harewood could be useful, but I wouldn't want to see him start ahead of our other strikers, and why would he want to drop into League 1 and then be a bench-warmer? Or that we would want to pay him much either.

What rumours?

the only rumours on baldock and davies started on here,

well davies to millwall but they've been linked to 8 other strikers including Marlon so take that as you will,

But according to recent signing who know them (Fielding for example) both are very happy here and recommended the club,

I would be suprised if both davies and baldock were not here come august 3rd

I dont see why we would be interested in Harewood especially now with him getting older at 34 and his goalscoring form behind him. The only reason I could see us getting him is if we sold Baldock and Davies and then Lansdown wouldnt let us use the funds generated to buy replacements which i cant see happening, so I would be surprised to see him next season.

If he signs it might not be too bad if we arnt paying big. If we get off to a good start he the carrot of a good season with a push for promotion might just give him some motivation.

Dont forget his experience in being a prem striker once upon a time will be just what we need. What i mean by that is he will know how to win free kicks on the edge of the box when theres nothing on,wind up the centre back etc. Something we have lacked for a very long time

I think this is exactly the sort of short-termism we are trying to get away from.

I hope so too however, some very good players have only been with us for a season or 2. Hartley and Adebola just recently.

It would be very difficult to put together a squad purely of players who have a long term future at the club. There will almost certainly be the odd exception.

I hope so too however, some very good players have only been with us for a season or 2. Hartley and Adebola just recently.

It would be very difficult to put together a squad purely of players who have a long term future at the club. There will almost certainly be the odd exception.

Totally agree, it's just about finding the right one. Kevin Phillips for example is still proving his worth.

Maybe he could play the Adebola role? We've missed someone like that for years!

The adebola role? Is that when you are having a successful season playing nice football heading for the premiership then bring in a player who encourages the rest of the team to play long ball and then the team slips down the table, is that the adebola role?

Dreadful record for a striker, truly awful. Something like 5 in his last 45. Hope this is nonsense.

Not good, but perhaps compares faviourably with our only current targetman who has a grand total of 2 goals in 34 apps. plus 16 subs.

Having said that, I'd certainly give Harewood a miss.

Was totally against this when I first read the title, then I thought a bit more deeply.

Look at the experience in our side. Now Carey has signed, we have an experienced leader at the back.

In midfield, we have Elliot who's been with the club for six years and has solid experience at Championship level, with some international games under his belt for Jamaica.

Up front, we have a relative youngster in Baldock. Davies, who may be off, is injury prone and doesn't seem to be a great role model. After that, it's the youngsters Taylor, Burns and Krans.

Adding an experienced head up front makes sense, even for a year or two. Taylor could learn a lot and his experience could be vital.

This could give us options to have a very experienced spine of the team, with Carey, Elliot and Harewood supported by youngsters around the fringes, although I suspect Carey's position will be more of a leadership role in the background.

I'm also unconvinced that Elliott is the midfield experience that SOD wants, wouldn't be surprised to see someone SOD knows well come in to the midfield role, similar to Brian Stock.

Up front, we have a relative youngster in Baldock. Davies, who may be off, is injury prone and doesn't seem to be a great role model. After that, it's the youngsters Taylor, Burns and Krans.

Taylor is no youngster, at 25 he's almost a year older than Baldock and just 6 months younger than Davies.

Archived