IGNORED

Marlon Harewood

citylad05

For me, a journeyman striker who has scored probably 15-20 goals in the last 5 years is a massive NO THANKS.

However I don't have his stats for assists or other contributions so I'm unable to comment on what he brings to a team in terms of getting the best out of a strike partner, i.e. Baldock.

On paper, this would be a big step backwards in terms of our refreshing change of recruitment policy, but IF he comes on board, I will get behind him like I will everyone else - clean slates all round until proven otherwise.

All the people bashing him on here. How many times have you genuinly seen him play? Looked poor against us for Barnsly at the end of last season but the only other time I remember seeing him was at Newcastle away where he looked a beast and a step above anyone in our team.

Since he got back from abroad I'll admit to not having seen much of him, but what I have he was not the type of player I would see being a step up from what we possess, nor is he likely to improve tremendously any time soon. In fact, compare him to another lower league journey man in Deon Burton, who has several years on Harewood, and he's still scoring more and and playing more games, so I'd suggest Harewood is not an idea option.

Doesn't fill me with excitement, but thinking objectively Harewood might actually be the "right" type of player we need for our first (hopefully last) season in L1. Perhaps he is being looked at by SOS & Burt at because he is a player who works hard, can lift young players in a game when things are not going well, and be a positive force in the dressing room. Baldock needs someone to work off and this could produce a lot more goals. That makes up to a degree that he will not be a prolific goal scorer himself anymore. Are there any players out there who meet this criteria - and available free and for lowish wages? And who is prepared to join a first division club in the west country? Methinks perhaps not many.

4 games at Forest when Cotteril was picking team but 4 months SOD wouldve seen him every day in training. Wasn't he also one of Pemberton's Florist academy kids? If we sign Harewood it will be because 3 people who know him & have worked with him think he can offer us something that's missing not because we're desperate. Also don't buy that he'd be on big wages. SOD & SL have both said loads about FFP this summer, just don't believe we'd commit ourselves to an expensive journeyman on his last legs, can believe we'd commit ourselves to a short-term cheap. Very experienced squad player. As for comparing Harewood's career with Akinfenwa? Seriously! I'm not delighted with this prospect. But if it happens certainly prepared to give him a chance. We're in League One now. Think he could be effective in certain games.

I don't get it, your saying hes had a poor career? Based on what?

He's made a hell of a living by playing at so many clubs and not producing anything apart from 1 or 2 stints of good performances for those clubs. IMO if we want to go back up and compete at that level, then Harewood isn't the way forward.

I do not think there is anything in this. Was pure agent talk, and if one thing has been clear this summer, we do not sign that sort of player anymore.

Do think we will lose Albert, Davies and Baldock mind.

If your latter sentence turns out to be true just wait for the sort of maniacal suggestions you'll get on here for replacements!

We've already had Paddy Madden mentioned and someone saying we should be looking to spend around a million on new players....

A 1:4 goal ratio isn't that bad for a crock of shite especially as he would be a "support" striker

Especially as the vast majority (if not all) of his career has been at a higher standard than we are set to be playing at this season.

Personally, I'm not keen on the thought of this signing, but if SOD thinks that he can offer us something and will come here within our budgets, then let's go with it and see how it turns out.

If he comes in, plays 50% of games, weighs in with 10 goals and generally helps the team out, then it will have been a pretty decent siging from SOD - if he feels that our squad lacks this type of player.

If he was on a pay as you play contract I actually think he wouldnt be too bad a signing. Someone to bring on 10-20 minutes if we need a goal and to give us a plan B.

That said if we was bought in as a replacement for Davies or Baldock I would see it as a poor signing. Considering he has only scored 2 goals in the past two seasons and I think Davies and Baldock would both get at least 15 plus in this league (provided they stay fit).

I think some people have forgot we are now in league one. Showunmi and Jevons looked good and did the business in league one for us and both were far from good enough in the championship.

Harewood is the type of player who can be effective at this level. Some time the least inspirational signings turn out to be the best ones.

I think some people have forgot we are now in league one. Showunmi and Jevons looked good and did the business in league one for us and both were far from good enough in the championship.

Harewood is the type of player who can be effective at this level. Some time the least inspirational signings turn out to be the best ones.

What I would like to know is why is this type of signing is acceptable from SOD but would cause uproar if any of our previous 6 managers had signed him, re arrange the following 'arse, up, smoke, blowing, SOD's'?.

PS:- I haven't forgotten what division we are in, I think some people have forgotten how many signings like this have been a complete and utter waste of time and especially money.

What I would like to know is why is this type of signing is acceptable from SOD but would cause uproar if any of our previous 6 managers had signed him, re arrange the following 'arse, up, smoke, blowing, SOD's'?.

PS:- I haven't forgotten what division we are in, I think some people have forgotten how many signings like this have been a complete and utter waste of time and especially money.

We are now in a different league for starters.

We could be in the downs league, it dosen't stop players taking the piss, taking the money, not giving a **** and guess what most (in our case) most have been over hyped and strikers.

Why we should put him on a pay as you play contract if we do sign him?

I would also rather us sign someone else but if hes purely going to be used as an impact man to give us a Plan B and/or to play third fiddle to Baldock and Davies I dont think it would be a terrible signing at this level.

That said like I said earlier if he was bought in as a replacement for Baldock or Davies I would share others on here concerns about his signing.

Why we should put him on a pay as you play contract if we do sign him?

I would also rather us sign someone else but if hes purely going to be used as an impact man to give us a Plan B and/or to play third fiddle to Baldock and Davies I dont think it would be a terrible signing at this level.

That said like I said earlier if he was bought in as a replacement for Baldock or Davies I would share others on here concerns about his signing.

He's a footballer and far more importantly he is used to the pampered life and wages of the prem, like he'll sign a deal like that.

Can I just suggest that just because SOD is looking at him that won't automatically make him a good signing, I am sure that even St SOD has signed a few bad signings.

He's a footballer and far more importantly he is used to the pampered life and wages of the prem, like he'll sign a deal like that.

Can I just suggest that just because SOD is looking at him that won't automatically make him a good signing, I am sure that even St SOD has signed a few bad signings.

Not if he doesnt have any other options?

I dont think the board could afford/be willing to pay him silly wages.

The jury is still out on SOD. His signings so far on paper look good to me. At the end of the day he can sign whoever but what he will be judged on like all managers is results.

Dele Adebola.

Would we take him on a free if he was 5 years younger.

Same scenario.

Remember him against Wolves?

Incredible. Harewood, if we wanted him would have to be on a very low pay-as-you-play deal.

Otherwise he would join the likes of Pearson as overpaid shite.

Sign Marlon - yes

Pay him silly money - hell no.

If he wants to play in Div 1 - then he gets the Div 1 max - 3k.

Taylor would have to go though - why keep him?

I have to be honest this was by far my favourite game we had during our entire time in the championship....drinking all afternoon.....torrential rain, 2-0 down against a very good side then an utterly dominant 2nd half display led by adebola in what looked like hurricane conditions to draw 2-2, getting soaked on the walk back to the hen and chicken, more drinking finished off with a curry at the Clove....great great day

Archived