IGNORED

Steve Cotterill [Merged + Poll]

KeepUpLino

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

I'm not anti SC in anyway, but will admit I was uncomfortable with how his appointment came about.

He has certainly changed the side for the better. But as posted on another topic by "Myolman" http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2013-2014/table/2013-10-19

This table is from a year ago, look at the two at the top back then, and look where they are playing this season

But am convinced if S'OD had stayed in charge we would be in the basement by now

Really? We had lost one in eight at the time of his sacking. Things were beginning to improve.

And in those 8 games a few of them were in the cup and we won something like 3 games, and don't forget that one loss was at home to Sheffield United, a contender for one of the worst games at Ashton gate in our history

Really? We had lost one in eight at the time of his sacking. Things were beginning to improve.

Indeed. It wasn't amazing but things were beginning to turn around. I personally felt it was the wrong decision at the time. 

You can't knock what SC has done so far though it is early days. The squad assembled is very good and should be in the top two with Freeman, Agard and Korey as those are Championship standard players.

Not to mention the one loss was because of an own goal, hardly comprehensively beaten - and thus it could easily have been eight games unbeaten.

I was against SOD's sacking and only wish him well - he's now in a job that suits him to a great extent imo. I was also against Cotterill's appointment but the same can now be said of him. I didn't get carried away with what Cotterill did last season and said I'd judge him on this season. 12 games in and I can't have any complaints, let's just hope we can continue it in the next 34 games. I see no reason why we can't.

And in those 8 games a few of them were in the cup and we won something like 3 games, and don't forget that one loss was at home to Sheffield United, a contender for one of the worst games at Ashton gate in our history

7 were league games, 1 was a cup tie against Dagenham... Cotterill was at the helm for his first game which was round 2.

Not to mention the one loss was because of an own goal, hardly comprehensively beaten - and thus it could easily have been eight games unbeaten.

I was against SOD's sacking and only wish him well - he's now in a job that suits him to a great extent imo. I was also against Cotterill's appointment but the same can now be said of him. I didn't get carried away with what Cotterill did last season and said I'd judge him on this season. 12 games in and I can't have any complaints, let's just hope we can continue it in the next 34 games. I see no reason why we can't.

The whole thing was a disgrace, the boards backing of SOD saying its a long term project then a week later sacking him and the appointment of SC, not the appointment but the manner of how it was handled (although I was against it and thought the board rushed it).

Clearly its worked out which is great and we are doing well but we haven't won nothing yet which is why its best to remain neutral and support the team. I still cant stand his interviews but now I just either put it on mute or ignore it altogether ;)

The whole thing was a disgrace, the boards backing of SOD saying its a long term project then a week later sacking him and the appointment of SC, not the appointment but the manner of how it was handled (although I was against it and thought the board rushed it).

Clearly its worked out which is great and we are doing well but we haven't won nothing yet which is why its best to remain neutral and support the team. I still cant stand his interviews but now I just either put it on mute or ignore it altogether ;)

Conversely, I like his interviews. Just says what he thinks, no bollocks.

Talking of people being banned, has Tim Bird been culled also?

Would you come on here after spouting all the rubbish he did about cotterill being a puppet manager, how cotterill will ruin this club, he also championed the phrase cotterillball and how we would just lump it long....how anyone in favour of cotterill is clueless, after the shelf Utd defeat he was running his mouth off on here telling everyone he told them all that cotterill was rubbish....he is also someone I believe who will never swallow his pride and come on here and admit he was wrong about cotterill and sadly I also think he would still love cotterill to fail.

Really it took us till 5th Nov to win at home last season under the boring one.

Would you come on here after spouting all the rubbish he did about cotterill being a puppet manager, how cotterill will ruin this club, he also championed the phrase cotterillball and how we would just lump it long....how anyone in favour of cotterill is clueless, after the shelf Utd defeat he was running his mouth off on here telling everyone he told them all that cotterill was rubbish....he is also someone I believe who will never swallow his pride and come on here and admit he was wrong about cotterill and sadly I also think he would still love cotterill to fail.

Give Tim credit, he hasn't changed his tune..

I don't agree with the last part, I've spoken to Tim a few times in the past and he does rub a lot of people the wrong way but he is a City fan and wants the club to do well so wouldn't agree with that he would want Cotterill to ultimately fail as in some respects the club would fail.

• Admin

I'm not anti SC in anyway, but will admit I was uncomfortable with how his appointment came about.

He has certainly changed the side for the better. But as posted on another topic by "Myolman" http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2013-2014/table/2013-10-19

This table is from a year ago, look at the two at the top back then, and look where they are playing this season

But am convinced if S'OD had stayed in charge we would be in the basement by now

If calling up past tables, take a gander at the one on the day of Cotterill's arrival. I'd say he's been a success even if we haven't actually achieved anything yet.

The whole thing was a disgrace, the boards backing of SOD saying its a long term project then a week later sacking him and the appointment of SC, not the appointment but the manner of how it was handled (although I was against it and thought the board rushed it).

Ah yes, the "long-term project" which would have seen us in L2 with attendances that even the Gas could laugh at.

As SOD's reign progressed, I watched the seats empty around me. Guys who held S/Ts and had been going for years were staying home. The row behind me - hitherto full - had 9 empty consecutive seats. I was starting to feel agraphobic in the Dolman! Guys from my local who were casual attenders just stopped coming.

The board had to act. Imagine the S/T sales for our first season in L2 with laughing boy at the helm? When the right man became available and they'd sorted contractual matters out, SOD had to go.

But tbf, how much did the board really know? Like I say, I very much doubt that his appointment was part of any masterplan.

I believe it was Keith Dawe that had been championing SC throughout our last few managerial appointments but was overruled each time.

He eventually got his man and must be more entitled to a 'told you so' than pretty much anyone else living right now.

Absolutely this... we have won nothing on the grander scheme

of things, best to reserve judgement till the end of the

season.

While that is absolutely true, in our case I think we can cut SC a

bit of slack and measure his "achievement" against what the recent past has given us.

The last 5 seasons have given us an almost ubrelenting spiral downwards. With dismal

failure, relegation and being within hair's breath of the basement division. Worse, throughout this period there has

been an air of despondancy around the club and apart from the odd, and all to brief, false dawn, the feeling that we should

expect the worst.

Measured against that SC has achieved a great deal. Yes, he

hasn't won anthing yet, but no manager has ever won anything before November ( apart from manager of the month). However he has put us in a positition where there is genuine belief and optimism that the club is going in the right direction. He has confounded his critics (how many recent managers managed that?) With sone astute signings and buildibg a teaM that do not rely on hoofball he has got supporters behind - but without daggers in their hands.

its a long way to go, but would I rather be where we are now with Cotterrill than where we were a year ago with SOD? .......

Football boards always back the manager publicly until the last moment, hardly unique to City.

Leaving aside any sympathy for the individual - of which I have precisely none by the way - the removal of SO'D was anything but a disgrace, it was overdue and absolutely essential.

Of all the diverse people I know who support City - many of whom I only know through being fellow City supporters and our only thing in common is love of the club - many had lost interest in City altogether and had stopped attending, despite being STH's, and those still dragging themselves miserably to AG were completely despondent.

Not ONE of them had a good word to say about O'Driscoll or was anything but delighted when we were all put out of our misery and he was finally sent packing.

We didn't know what to expect from SC, all we could be certain of was he couldn't possibly be worse than SO'D and we had at least restored some chance of stopping the SO'D rot that was killing the club.

As it turned out the decisions taken by the board have been entirely vindicated - the sacking, the timing of it, and crucially the inspired choice of replacement, and despite some on here still being put out on SO'D's behalf all I see around Bristol are enthusiastic and reinvigorated Bristol City fans who were very relieved and totally supportive of the decisions taken.

An Emphatic NO

Yup... I was dead against it.. but I have not hidden away perhaps because, as far as i can see and as is my usual, I try always to be respectful even if my opinions might be strong. I am delighted to have been proved wrong.. but bear in mind my 'NO' was in large part because i thought it too early to sack SOD which was not an entirely unique view. 

Some people went a little too far in my humble opinion.. not a unique view either and apologies to Nibor in advance in singling him out as this was very much indicative of many but that, equally, does not take anything away in how it was worded:-....

I guess all those idiots who suggested it couldn't get any worse are happy now.

Steve Cotterill, hasn't done anything useful in football since Cheltenham over a decade ago and advocates a brand of long ball football from a bygone era.

What a ******* mess. Jon Lansdown is a total ballbag.

Many eggs on faces here, but no reason to drag it up again imo more important things going on atm;

Ideal locking material and needs dropping of the page.

He's back but has changed his tune.........

Many eggs on faces here, but no reason to drag it up again imo more important things going on atm;

Ideal locking material and needs dropping of the page.

This!..

Time to look forward now lads, not back. All this thread teaches you is that football and its fans can be fickle, so lets enjoy what we have while we have it as we all know how quick things can change.

STEVIE COTTERILL WALKS ON CIDER

Yup... I was dead against it.. but I have not hidden away perhaps because, as far as i can see and as is my usual, I try always to be respectful even if my opinions might be strong. I am delighted to have been proved wrong.. but bear in mind my 'NO' was in large part because i thought it too early to sack SOD which was not an entirely unique view. 

Some people went a little too far in my humble opinion.. not a unique view either and apologies to Nibor in advance in singling him out as this was very much indicative of many but that, equally, does not take anything away in how it was worded:-....

You may want to revisit some of your comments. Wishing us to lose the first two games 20-0 so that Cotterill would get the sack, wanting a Cotterill out banner at the first home game?!!!

Bit rich digging Nibor out when you came out with shit like that.

You may want to revisit some of your comments. Wishing us to lose the first two games 20-0 so that Cotterill would get the sack, wanting a Cotterill out banner at the first home game?!!!

Bit rich digging Nibor out when you came out with shit like that.

Ouch.

This!..

Time to look forward now lads, not back. All this thread teaches you is that football and its fans can be fickle, so lets enjoy what we have while we have it as we all know how quick things can change.

STEVIE COTTERILL WALKS ON CIDER

Good banner/flag material - unless there is already one (apologies haven't seen it)

Archived