IGNORED

Liam Fontaine

Jasper Testimitanu

Always felt sorry for him.

Anyone who's played sport at any level has gone through periods of poor form when you'll make a great tackle and the ball somehow pops up to their bloke who smashes it in from nowhere, I remember one of the goals versus Coventry when the ball dropped over his head, had he got a touch it would probably have flown in the top corner!

One thing in his favour, always turned up, never hid, never feigned injury to miss games however bad his form was. That alone for me says something about his character and I wouldn't mind him having another go.

Yes you are right mate. But I would still give him another chance.I am convinced within Fonts there is still something that needs someone esle to bring out, he was made scape goat sometimes let himself down many others. Dont know why but would still give him a second chance

He had two seasons of chances here, but alas wasn't up to it.

File under: was good, but isn't any more. You'll find Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, David James and a host of other former City players there.

For some, for whatever reason, the inevitable decline sets in earlier than others.

Sad for Fonts, but he can probably have a career somewhere at L2 or lower level.  Some things he can do very well still, but unfortunately confidence is shot and the inevitable howlers cost us goals in a frightening number of matches. Our defence only started to improve when he was sidelined.

Great servant for the club but that's where it ends I'm afraid. Absolutely no room for sentiment with Liam unfortunately as he has had way too many chances.

I actually feel sorry him. I have been critical about him the last few seasons but feel a little gutted it's going to end this way. With so little appearances for Yeovil it really does seem as if there is no way back for him now. His confidence must be destroyed and I wonder if he will ever recapture his form.

McInnes certainly didn't help him out that's for sure but then we all know how incompetent Del was. I wonder if a more experienced manager or in fact any manager who could see the defensive frailties we had would have been able to help Liam salvage his City career.

Fontaine should never play for City again. Sure he's a nice guy, sure he gives 100% every time he plays for us, sure he once was decent (extremely over rated for me). He needs to move on and rediscover some confidence, something he will never do at city with all the fans on his back.

would luv to know why people blame individuals for team mistakes, fair enough you might make a mistake which might cause a goal to be conceded the game lost but think it's right unfair & wrong blaming 1 player for every game lost when you got 10 other players that should all get the blame as well, I've always felt Fonts has tried his hardest for the team yeah his form has dipped & the results have gone against us which only highlights him but I believe he should get another chance to prove he can do a job for us still & if he still can't find the form he once showed for us let him go at the end of this season.

I would not be against Liam returning to the team if he impressed SC in training,but now that we are playing with a lot more confidence,I wonder if Liam's inclusion could unsettle the team either directly or through the fans if they show any resentment to him.

No.

Next question?

None actually. I did really well for Xmas presents so will be keeping them all.

On a serious note, I can't believe anybody actually wants to see Fontaine in a City shirt again. The last 2 seasons for us the bloke was a calamity, a disaster waiting to happen.

I cannot recall any other time in my City supporting days I have seen one individual player cost us so many points, and hence contribute so much single handedly to us getting relegated.

I know he's probably a nice bloke, tried his best, was once a good player, etc. etc. but that is all irrelevant and the bloke should not be allowed within 1 mile of Ashton Gate again.

• Admin

Whether SC wants to give Fontaine another chance or not, he simply can't. 

Liam's poor play hasn't come as a result of a long term injury like some, but from a crisis of confidence, showing that he is mentally fragile. The supporters (sic) at Ashton Gate booed him onto the pitch the last time he was here. Liam isn't strong enough to overcome the type of support fans of Bristol City deliver.

Does anyone on here actually feel for him, regardless of his wage packet?! In fact he probably knows he hasn't earnt it.

I bet he's currently in a real bad place, having no confidence.

His slump in form could be affecting him on a day to day basis.

He obviously has ability, but seems to have spiraled away from him. Probably needs another loan to build back his confidence.

Does anyone on here actually feel for him, regardless of his wage packet?! In fact he probably knows he hasn't earnt it.

I bet he's currently in a real bad place, having no confidence.

His slump in form could be affecting him on a day to day basis.

He obviously has ability, but seems to have spiraled away from him. Probably needs another loan to build back his confidence.

He needs a clean break, if his agent is any good he could get him a contract at a foreign club where the climate is almost relaxing as the football. He'd be suited to a brand of football where the ball stays on the floor. He was always a decent tackler.

Said it 3 years ago that fontaine needs someone who has experience and can tell him what to do playing alongside him, IMHO he was never captain material and this was integral in his fall from grace, personally I think he still has the ability to turn his career around but I can't see it being with City, can you imagine the 1st mistake he made, he would be slaughtered by the boo boys and his confidence would be shot to pieces once again.

My son goes to school with Liam's lad and I have spoken to Liam plenty of times. His lad also plays for the local footy team too. Just to clarify some aspects here:

From speaking to him I know Liam would love to have another chance, but he is expecting his time in a City shirt are gone and he expects his return to City will be short. He says he "would love to be back in the City red".

He has said, even if he does not remain at City, his family are settled here and he will not move them. For this reason I really do not think money is the motivation here for Liam. It makes me laugh how people on here seem to know who earns the most. Does anyone actually know how much the guy earns compared to others? Besides, all though we would all love to be pro footballers, the career is short, you have to be lucky to get there and even remain there. I know of another ex City player who has less than you and I and yet had a 'successful football career'.

He does care, and I know how devastated he was at the time where he was captain and results are performances were not good. Regarding Liam being a captain, he is as he appears, quite a shy quiet chap, so never going to be a Roy Keane, Shaun Taylor type.

He has never slatted City fans (boo boys) to me and does love the club. Yes, you could argue Liam has done well out of the club, but reading some of the comments on here, you would think he had shafted us (sick note - Sean Dyche, that terrible Bolton defender Hunt and David James?). Not at all, he has given 100%, never asked for sympathy or gone to the press. How easy it would have been to slate the club or fans whilst at Yeovil (like Steve Philips for example when he went to Rovers after years at City?).

I would welcome Liam back as I know he would give 100% again.

Here here. The only people to blame for his loss of form is/was mcinnes and his back room staff. Poor bugger was so out of sorts but was given the captaincy and expected to lead. Piss poor management. He needed taking out of the firing line. In this respect SOD recognised it early on.

I feel for him confidence shot yet time after time laid bare for the vocal abusers to lower his confidence even more.

I am no fontaine lover. Met him a couple of times and actually think he is a arrogant *****, but in terms of a footballer he has been woefully left short by the club.

And you would know this? Talk about those up their own a3ses on here, he has put in some very good shifts for this club, only last Thursday some on here wanted Baldock finished here and then come Sunday?

Would know what?

I'm not in the least bit interested in what Fontaine (or any other player) has at some stage done for this club. Every dog has his day and Fontaine's day with BCFC came and went a long time ago.

He is in a privileged position that many thousands of City fans can only dream of.

A few years ago a certain Brian Tinnion was short on confidence, powder puff, vilified by many fans and even his family was subject to unfounded and unwarranted abuse.

Did he shrink away, no he didn't, he shaved his head, got a new persona, put a couple of heavy tackles in, won the fans over and got his self asteem back.

Maybe, just maybe he should take a long look at himself and do likewise.

Only he can do it.

You ask any City fan, we all know he has talent.

Yep it's not what he's done it's what he can should do I still reckon he should get another chance though & if he can't get to his best for us again or at least be of some benefit to the team then try somewhere else, he has done well before be nice if he could do it again & help us to survival but he might not have it in him as I think his confidence must be at a all time low.

He is in a privileged position that many thousands of City fans can only dream of.

A few years ago a certain Brian Tinnion was short on confidence, powder puff, vilified by many fans and even his family was subject to unfounded and unwarranted abuse.

Did he shrink away, no he didn't, he shaved his head, got a new persona, put a couple of heavy tackles in, won the fans over and got his self asteem back.

Maybe, just maybe he should take a long look at himself and do likewise.

Only he can do it.

You ask any City fan, we all know he has talent.

Not entirely true. He actually asked for a transfer. And wsdw willing to walk away from the club.. and who could blame him. Luckily for him his position in the team was not massively highlighted by goals conceded. Those wide playees often have it easier, rarely do their mistakes lead to goals. He certainly didn't have the pressure of captaincy chucked at him when going through his rough patch.

Not sure the two can be compared. Tinman didn't play in the media/Internet generation. His bad performances were often left at the gate and the odd on pavement altercation. Fontaine had all of that plus the online witch hunt.

Here here. The only people to blame for his loss of form is/was mcinnes and his back room staff. Poor bugger was so out of sorts but was given the captaincy and expected to lead. Piss poor management. He needed taking out of the firing line. In this respect SOD recognised it early on.

I feel for him confidence shot yet time after time laid bare for the vocal abusers to lower his confidence even more.

I am no fontaine lover. Met him a couple of times and actually think he is a arrogant *****, but in terms of a footballer he has been woefully left short by the club.

Agree.

McInnes couldn't have handled the situation any worse. Just showed him to be the incompetent manager he was for us I'm afraid. I'm still amazed that he escaped a lot of the blame for Fonts poor form at the time.

Archived