IGNORED

Simon Moore

BCFC101

Means sod all with our midfield and defence. Like somebody else has put, we will still concede a shed load.

Having the confidence of a good keeper behind them can improve any defender.

I don't think Parrish is awful, but he's made a few clangers and deserves to lose his place. Having this guy step in would be a very good move IMO.

I for one was delighted when we brought in Fielding.

He had age on his side, experience at a higher level, and international recognition; I thought we'd got a real coup.

But any good qualities were counter balanced by his woeful, goal-costing mistakes. He simply looked a liability.

To be fair to Parish, he came here as second choice, and though far more consistent than Fielding, he has never looked 'sturdy', though he's not exactly had a defence worth much in front of him the majority of the time.

Right now, no player in the team can really expect to be guaranteed a place; we even dropped our top scorer last night, so Parish can hardly complain if we look to bring in someone over him.

And all this is to say; as good as this keeper might be, many were equally keen on Fielding, so perhaps give a thought to what the constant across the last three (hell, extend that to four and include Heaton, now competing at the top of the Championship) keeper has been which is our defence.

That has always, always been the major issue here.

I agree. I was delighted by the arrival of Fielding and thought it was too good to be true!

I guess my only hope is that Moore is proven at this level. Surely we can't even destroy that....can we?

Think loads of posters have missed the point here - we're bottom of the league with a woeful defence which has only one decent centre half (Williams). Even if you had Gordon Banks in goal, we would still struggle - goalkeepers need confidence in the players in front of them: our keepers have no confidence in the defence, which is hardly suprising since Flint is shite, El Abd looks to be shite, Cunningham is inconsistent and Moloney can't get anywhere near the starting 11!

Think loads of posters have missed the point here - we're bottom of the league with a woeful defence which has only one decent centre half (Williams). Even if you had Gordon Banks in goal, we would still struggle - goalkeepers need confidence in the players in front of them: our keepers have no confidence in the defence, which is hardly suprising since Flint is shite, El Abd looks to be shite, Cunningham is inconsistent and Moloney can't get anywhere near the starting 11!

I presume the hope is a good keeper will bring some confidence and organisation to the defence and will not make handling errors so regularly.It has to be a good move if we can get him.

I presume the hope is a good keeper will bring some confidence and organisation to the defence and will not make handling errors so regularly.It has to be a good move if we can get him.

Yeah his technique may be more consistent and his personal confidence will be higher than Fielding or Parish but he isn't Superman either. There's only so much that can be done with the players in front of our keeper, and to be honest I think we have used up all our cards.

I wonder if that means Fielding is off? Would be a shame if so as he hasnt been given a fair chance after those couple games at start of season where you could argue it was as much the defenses fault as his. But both SOD and Cotts has stuck with Parish since and they watch them daily on the training ground so perhaps he hasnt recovered or Parish has been developing better?

Good news, but you can't blame me for being doubtful until everything is signed and he is pictured grinning holding up a shirt on the main site, remember Metab!

So I guess we must be expecting one of the other keepers to leave or go out on loan. I guess it would be harsh if Parish went after he seems to be favoured more than Fielding, but Fielding was always meant to be the No 1 keeper. Can he step up now or has his Bristol City career turned to dust and irreparable? I was surprised he wasn't given the FA cup games to show his worth or not.

As for people saying goalkeeping is a concern but not a priority, I doubt if the club works on one deal at a time but are having less success in other areas. How many keepers do Cardiff have at any time!

Edit: just seen the article quoted above, so are we simply buying time to build and strengthen these keepers and take a look at them if they can improve, seems sensible yet a bit of a luxury to have 3 keepers here? But if Moore is only here until the summer and we let parish and/ or Fielding go we are back to having to find keepers again so best to hold on until we know where we are perhaps

Can't see either going in all honesty, Fielding & Parish need a break or competition

The defence infront of Basso was fairly good, the 4 from his best City days are competing at a higher level or have played higher than City in the league Orr, Keogh, McAllister, McCoombe.

For this season, is this the spine that some said Cotterill needed? Moore - El Abd - Elliott - Barnett

welcome simon, the only thing that is annoying me about this signing is that whatever anybody says to the contrary I am convinced that sc has been given a substantially higher budget than sod was expected to work with !

I don't think it's a personal thing.  The board are clearly now panicking that we will go down. 

Archived