IGNORED

Old Characters And Where Are They Now?

Rich

Some really good names for these old characters. Current fans and players don't seem to have such good games. I was listening to a programme about the Vikings yesterday and one of them was called Ragnar Hairy Pants. It got me thinking - if only some of the current team had similar names it might frighten the opposition a bit. The best we can offer might be Bobby Ballet Skirt. Not quite the same.

I think black Jack was a sag but came over to City

And dint he have a Brother.

I was brought up in Southmead and have no recollection of the blackjack brothers ever being gas.As for old characters,a few names come to mind,Terry and Ricky Blake,Paul Brown,Miles and Claude,the Morfista brothers(spelling?),and does anyone remember Dog,from Barton Hill as l remember.

Who was the big bloke ( fattish) who wore a black berry on his head, late 70's early 80's.

I remember seeing him front up to about 30 West Ham youth outside the East End,none of those 30 would go near him!!

Wasn't that Milton?

Don't think he goes now but I saw him in North St about a year ago.

Whatever happened to Tuba, one of the Parkenders who used to hang around with Ronnie Thomas?

Another one was a lad who used to hang around with them, always wore a Harrington, black hair, moustache, used to see him at every game..

I was brought up in Southmead and have no recollection of the blackjack brothers ever being gas.As for old characters,a few names come to mind,Terry and Ricky Blake,Paul Brown,Miles and Claude,the Morfista brothers(spelling?),and does anyone remember Dog,from Barton Hill as l remember.

Dog from Barton Hill sadly passed away about two years ago from liver cancer.

Anyone remember Shaun the punk ? He was with a mob of us who all got nicked up a Derby in the 80's. I can remember him stood in the dock with his dark sunglasses on looking like Captain sensible.

I'm sure I would recognize him if I saw him,can still picture Miles and Claude in their leather jackets with PIL written in studs on the back.

I'm sure I would recognize him if I saw him,can still picture Miles and Claude in their leather jackets with PIL written in studs on the back.

I still keep in touch with Miles. He's living in New York and doing fine. He still looks the same, a little less hair and a few wrinkles. I mentioned that jacket to him a while ago and asked him if he still had it.

I still keep in touch with Miles. He's living in New York and doing fine. He still looks the same, a little less hair and a few wrinkles. I mentioned that jacket to him a while ago and asked him if he still had it.

He was never quite the same after doing the time without doing the crime(it was brooster that did it).You must know Andy Thomas,Chicco and the rest of the Gloucester Rd lads.

He was never quite the same after doing the time without doing the crime(it was brooster that did it).You must know Andy Thomas,Chicco and the rest of the Gloucester Rd lads.

Don't recognize the names but I can remember Brooster. Yea, that was a bit naughty, the gass, running to the old bill, stitching Miles up and getting him four and a half years. Talk about low life's !

Great to see some of the old boys remembered.

Here's a few more that spring to mind...

Annie Walsh and her brothers; The McCrossans, The Feeneys (Elmer and John) - late 60s early 70s

Big Arthur, Martin and "Marney" (drank at the House That Jack Built) - mid 70s

Jack Bellaera -and his two brothers Beano and Savvy - late 60s early 70s

Chrissy Saunders (Kingswood)

Heavy Duty - fat, ginger skinhead

There was another Tank (from Southville) - early 70s (I think he hung around with Cosher)

Don't recognize the names but I can remember Brooster. Yea, that was a bit naughty, the gass, running to the old bill, stitching Miles up and getting him four and a half years. Talk about low life's !

You just don't grass,never.

I remember a lad who used to go in the Park End when everyone used to wear Pringle Jumpers in the casual days.

He didn't have a Pringle so wrote "PRINGLE" in chalk across the front of the top he was wearing.:)

He was a 1st class nut case, saw him get battened across the face by a copper on horse back once in the park,he came to the next game with about 50 stitches all over his face.

Don't see Neil 'Winnie' Winstone anymore at matches but he was a great character. Thrown down a flight of stairs by bouncers leaving a metal plate in his head and ruining a promising footy career. Could be nuts at times, arrested at Walsall for an attack on a police horse/dog. Party tricks including catching wasps and then eating them!

Don't see Neil 'Winnie' Winstone anymore at matches but he was a great character. Thrown down a flight of stairs by bouncers leaving a metal plate in his head and ruining a promising footy career. Could be nuts at times, arrested at Walsall for an attack on a police horse/dog. Party tricks including catching wasps and then eating them!

The last I heard he was living in Stapleton,remember him at a game in Hereford,Neil,Neil eat the fish,Neil,Neil eat the fish,the pubs gold fish that is and he did.

The last I heard he was living in Stapleton,remember him at a game in Hereford,Neil,Neil eat the fish,Neil,Neil eat the fish,the pubs gold fish that is and he did.

:laugh:, yep that sort of thing was his party trick. He was a very good footballer, even in his late 30s early 40s being a long haired Danny De Vito he would amaze the opposition with his touch and passing ability.

:laugh:, yep that sort of thing was his party trick. He was a very good footballer, even in his late 30s early 40s being a long haired Danny De Vito he would amaze the opposition with his touch and passing ability.

Amazing at footy, even better at out madding the opposition fans....he changed his name by deed poll to...Neil Down...love him to bits,

That Hereford game was mental, loads in fancy dress.

Neil ate a goldfish in the stand as well!

He was definitely Neil Winstone when he used to come into my former place of work

Woody is right, Winnie DID change his name by deed poll to Neil Down. He always drank up the Cobbler and rode his push bike everywhere. I think it was Lourdes where he was thrown down the stairs BTW.

I remember he was nicked at Reading in the early 80's (the riot) and was interviewed by HTV after the court hearing (they tried to interview him anyway). Every other word was ****, ****, **** so the news team gave up!

Great character Winnie!

Manshead was another Cobbler lad who I haven't seen for ages.

Dog, died a couple of years back. My lad boxes at Barton Hill ABC, and there is a plaque in his honour there. (Dog's, not my sons!)

Archived