IGNORED

Old Characters And Where Are They Now?

Rich

Which pub was it that had a coach going to Middlesbro, 87, but it was stopped by OB before it left Bristol? Or they didn't get up early enough? Always thought it was the Venture. They were looking forward to us visiting up there, I can remember half bricks coming over the top of the row of terraced houses behind the away end at Ayresome Park. Don't know how they managed this. It was the day after the Zeebrugge ferry sank in the English channel

If I remember right, a well known Boro lad took a bit of a slap at AG earlier in the season, hence the welcoming committee when we went to Ayresome Park.

The 80s were the best days for away games for me! Most away days were adrenalin fuelled days out - if you know what I mean!!!

So many characters!

Dear you didn't get the irony.

I will leave it there as I know some of the chaps would not approve of names and initials being used. Anymore detail, the book will be written and there will be descriptions of their driveways.

Hope i'm in the book.

If I remember right, a well known Boro lad took a bit of a slap at AG earlier in the season, hence the welcoming committee when we went to Ayresome Park.

The 80s were the best days for away games for me! Most away days were adrenalin fuelled days out - if you know what I mean!!!

So many characters!

That sounds right IIRC.

We were on the away terrace at Ayresome that day and one of our lot got chucked out for pissing on the terrace. We saw a baying mob outside the away end and the old bill chucked this kiddie out and wouldn't let anyone else leave. He took an awful kicking yet the old bill wouldn't let anyone out to help him. It would have been carnage if they did to be fair.

The Venture coaches were mental, full of scally-wags, thieves, villains and hoolies, Leicester 1st away game of the season '77, definitely the nuttiest away coach i've ever been on.     

The trouble inside the ground involving the old bill and their helmets was nutty and the trouble outside after was very nutty. I remember it well.

Great read this thread gutted it was before my time, only person I know who use to go up was someone called Lee but he's been banned for life so doesn't attend now.

If it's the Lee I know, he still tries to go but the law always turn him away, even though his bans finished, yet another loss of liberties but he says it's not worth arguing and goes back to the BS3.

We had our tranny windows put in while we were near the ground, i grabbed hold of one of the twa@s. he told me that loads of leaflets were sent to pubs near the ground saying what the City fans were going to do. Their coach got there about half time.

Didnt Owen miss a penalty and lost 1-0

Yes, Owen missed a pen (March), then he missed one in the last game v Swindon (1:1, think, so we missed out on the play-offs), and finally, he missed one a week or two later, in the penalty shoot-out at Wembley. Then he sensibly agreed to a transfer somewhere else.

Anyone at Northampton, 82 or 83, not the 1:7, the year after? Before kick-off, about 100 City jumped on the pitch and just ran two thirds the length of it towards the Northampton end. Shepherded back onto our end by OB, they then proceeded to dismantle various parts of the crumbling open away end, long guttering pipes ripped down. And someone climbing the floodlight pylon. Loads there that day. Not sure why everyone's saying relegation will be a "disaster," we had a blast 30 years ago, made the most of it. Not that I'm condoning this sort of thing, just telling the old City stories for the younger ones on here...

Don't see Neil 'Winnie' Winstone anymore at matches but he was a great character. Thrown down a flight of stairs by bouncers leaving a metal plate in his head and ruining a promising footy career. Could be nuts at times, arrested at Walsall for an attack on a police horse/dog. Party tricks including catching wasps and then eating them!

winnes about seen him friday on his push bike loony tune of the highest order

Anyone at Northampton, 82 or 83, not the 1:7, the year after? Before kick-off, about 100 City jumped on the pitch and just ran two thirds the length of it towards the Northampton end. Shepherded back onto our end by OB, they then proceeded to dismantle various parts of the crumbling open away end, long guttering pipes ripped down. And someone climbing the floodlight pylon. Loads there that day. Not sure why everyone's saying relegation will be a "disaster," we had a blast 30 years ago, made the most of it. Not that I'm condoning this sort of thing, just telling the old City stories for the younger ones on here...

Was that the one when we untethered that massive advertising balloon ? like a small airship ? Wonder how high it is now ?

Anyone here on that Good Friday football special train to Plymouth, 85? There might have been two trains, possibly? The one I was on started slowing up, stopping for ages, police helicopter circling above, finally reached the station, about kick off time, or just after, with plod all over the platform saying we were not going anywhere, other than back to Bristol, due to the amount of crowd trouble and number of City fans already there. At which point, a couple of hundred disembark the other side, across the track, heading up the hill eventually, through a graveyard at one point, finally reaching the ground to find us 0:1 down and having missed all the "fun" started by those that didn't go by train, or at least, not the one I was on.

The old bill could ride rough shod over people's rights in the 80s, knowing (or believing back then) that there would be no comeback on them. Wonder if it's worth contacting Watchdog about this after 29 years?

remember the day well..

Was on the ' maypole flyer ' for that trip , got stopped on Lawrence hill roundabout for an hour and a half, all off and searched , and the coach. same again outside boro, got in just before kickoff. when they scored a load of boro ran at our end across the pitch. after, got on the coach and a mob of boro came out of an alley hurling bricks, dustbins and god knows what, got back off and had a word with them. all the way out of town under constant attack. Loved the 80s really did !

I was on that coach...on the way back we stripped a garage of its contents..happy days

And who was responsible for shaking up one of the Nolan sisters at Torquay in 83? Come on, own up. Having a pop at Millwall, okay, if you must; be the Nolan sister. She was not in the mood...which one was it (wasn't she Bruce Rioch's missus?)

Is that when she was in that upturned mini?

That sounds right IIRC.

We were on the away terrace at Ayresome that day and one of our lot got chucked out for pissing on the terrace. We saw a baying mob outside the away end and the old bill chucked this kiddie out and wouldn't let anyone else leave. He took an awful kicking yet the old bill wouldn't let anyone out to help him. It would have been carnage if they did to be fair.

remember it well wasnt his name phil.i thought he got cut that day

Is Acker still around? I think I remember him as a steward in the Dolman.

Pauls health has not been good and  hasn't been down for a few years, A book could be written about his exploits , most of it not printable on here, one of the original organisers in the 70s, legendary away trips , when he was on the buses , he sometimes did the 318 sodbury to town on a Saturday when the monoxide were home, he would slow the bus down approaching a stop packed with methane , stick the vs up and drive on ! that always amused me

Was it a mini? Don't know. But, yes. That incident. Made the D. Express on the Monday, and other tabs. As did a lot of these away days. So, you admitting to being part of this then, Red?

Not quite, was about 20ft away, but was funny after she gave City fans a lot of mouth before it happened.

Was it a mini? Don't know. But, yes. That incident. Made the D. Express on the Monday, and other tabs. As did a lot of these away days. So, you admitting to being part of this then, Red?

A Police van got turned over after that game,and it went off with City and the Police.

I can remember the Nolan's being mentioned in the press,just can't remember why!

Archived