IGNORED

Old Characters And Where Are They Now?

Rich

Who is the guy, must be in his 50s I'd guess, very distinctive look, 5'8, curly reddish, longish hair, always wears biker style clothes usually with a sleeveless denim jacket. I've seen him at just about every home and away game I've been to over the last thirty odd years. A really passionate City fan, in more recent times he has been accompanied by a girlfriend/wife.

Anyone remember Elmer, usually wore a light brown three piece suit to games (certainly away) Went on the original Western Roadways coach.

Remember Merv the swerve, a driver on Western Roadways?, he used to let us jump off the coach

to take issue with our rivals.

Who is the guy, must be in his 50s I'd guess, very distinctive look, 5'8, curly reddish, longish hair, always wears biker style clothes usually with a sleeveless denim jacket. I've seen him at just about every home and away game I've been to over the last thirty odd years. A really passionate City fan, in more recent times he has been accompanied by a girlfriend/wife.

Springhead? Kevin H.

Remember Merv the swerve, a driver on Western Roadways?, he used to let us jump off the coach

to take issue with our rivals.

I never actually traveled on WR, used other  (what they used to call ) "pirate" coaches.

I do remember being overtaken by WR on the way to QPR  ,the night match where it pissed down all night ,we won 1-0. The funny thing was as the coach sped past us the entrance door was wide open with  old D***y (in this PC age  shall we just call him Hard of hearing) leaning out the door, getting soaked waving his scarf at all and sundry, mental  ! 

That Hereford game was mental, loads in fancy dress.

Neil ate a goldfish in the stand as well!

Now I don't know if my memory is playing tricks with me,but I seem to recall a piano leaving a pub via an upstairs window.

Neil Winstone, still about. Lives on Fishponds main rd. See him quite often on his push bike.

Could write a book about this maniac.

Remember up the Jolly Cobbler taking all the legs off a daddy long legs then dropping it in his cider before he drunk it!!!

Remember him up at Blackpool picking up live Woodlices from under stones, putting them on his tounge before eating!!!

Remember him jumping out of our mini bus just outside of Leciester for a pee. Jumped over someones wall. Dog in the garden and went for him. Winnie grabbed it and bit it and it ran off yelping!!!

Bloke was an absolute madman.

Gloucester rd lads really were a mixture of areas. Pringles was a hangout where a lot of young lads hung out. Alongside the names already mentioned names such as half caste Clive Edwards and brother Russell tim bryers. Tim now dead. Dunk Morrison the selman brothers Kevin and rob. great times. Remember travelling on a coach run by a guy called taffy to west brom in the 1st division when all other games called off. Due to heavy snow. Proper day out. Phillip maki was collecting the fares as we went on to coach. Philip later went on to be a name at the gate.

Gloucester rd lads really were from a mixture of areas. Pringles was a hangout where a lot of young lads hung out. Alongside the names already mentioned names such as half caste Clive Edwards and brother Russell. tim bryers. Tim now dead. Dunk Morrison the selman brothers Kevin and rob. great times. Remember travelling on a coach run by a guy called taffy to west brom in the 1st division when all other games called off. Due to heavy snow. Proper day out. Phillip maki was collecting the fares as we went on to coach. Philip later went on to be a name at the gate.

Wasn't it Winnie who jumped out of a mini bus in Torquay as he wanted the giant plastic ice cream outside a newsagents? They wouldn't sell it to him so he nicked it anyway. All the way back from Torquay with a bloody 5 foot plastic ice cream! Lunatic, very funny but an absolute barking mad lunatic!

As for the '50 year old biker', that's Springer, a top man he is.

Wasn't it Winnie who jumped out of a mini bus in Torquay as he wanted the giant plastic ice cream outside a newsagents? They wouldn't sell it to him so he nicked it anyway. All the way back from Torquay with a bloody 5 foot plastic ice cream! Lunatic, very funny but an absolute barking mad lunatic!

As for the '50 year old biker', that's Springer, a top man he is.

surely that was ronnie who nicked the ice cream thing wasnt it

Woody is right, Winnie DID change his name by deed poll to Neil Down. He always drank up the Cobbler and rode his push bike everywhere. I think it was Lourdes where he was thrown down the stairs BTW.

I remember he was nicked at Reading in the early 80's (the riot) and was interviewed by HTV after the court hearing (they tried to interview him anyway). Every other word was ****, ****, **** so the news team gave up!

Great character Winnie!

Manshead was another Cobbler lad who I haven't seen for ages.

It was the Top Rank opposite Bridewell in '72.

Gloucester rd lads really were a mixture of areas. Pringles was a hangout where a lot of young lads hung out. Alongside the names already mentioned names such as half caste Clive Edwards and brother Russell tim bryers. Tim now dead. Dunk Morrison the selman brothers Kevin and rob. great times. Remember travelling on a coach run by a guy called taffy to west brom in the 1st division when all other games called off. Due to heavy snow. Proper day out. Phillip maki was collecting the fares as we went on to coach. Philip later went on to be a name at the gate.

Saw Duncan in the Assembly on Saturday dinnertime, loads of City old boys there for Divvy,

Had a chat with Maggsy and Lloyd R amongst many others!

Anyone enjoy Acker's lovely coach tours?  I remember Oldham away in the 70's when we all rolled up and piled into their supporters club which, at the time, overlooked the terrace.  Come ten to three and the windows opened outwards, followed by a great number of Bristol's finest climbing through and straight into the Oldham end!  I love the North!

Anyone enjoy Acker's lovely coach tours?  I remember Oldham away in the 70's when we all rolled up and piled into their supporters club which, at the time, overlooked the terrace.  Come ten to three and the windows opened outwards, followed by a great number of Bristol's finest climbing through and straight into the Oldham end!  I love the North!

Is Acker still around? I think I remember him as a steward in the Dolman.

remember tuba -a sizeable gent shall we say ,havent seen him in ages.

people would say "tuba never runs " which was obvious really ;-)

Tuba was a top man! Used to go away a lot. Never ran! Andy Morph/John Morph/ Leggsy, John Dodds/ Ricky M(Bath)/ Chinner/ Mad Mike/Craig/Stu- Guss and Crook crew.

Others I respected - Geoff & Womble (Kingswood)/ Dougie from Donnie/ Angus/ Taunton Lamps lads (Muttley top lad), Roger/Paddy and many others. Good memories, Regards if anybody reads this --- Rich from Bath

Maki --- nutter!

Neil Winstone, still about. Lives on Fishponds main rd. See him quite often on his push bike.

Could write a book about this maniac.

Remember up the Jolly Cobbler taking all the legs off a daddy long legs then dropping it in his cider before he drunk it!!!

Remember him up at Blackpool picking up live Woodlices from under stones, putting them on his tounge before eating!!!

Remember him jumping out of our mini bus just outside of Leciester for a pee. Jumped over someones wall. Dog in the garden and went for him. Winnie grabbed it and bit it and it ran off yelping!!!

Bloke was an absolute madman.

My lasting memory of Neeeeeeil was away at sheffield utd yonks ago, there was a bit of trouble after the game, two sheffield

lads from their crew hefted a kerb stone recently liberated from a building site, over a line of queued traffic into our mob,

said kerb stone missed everyone and upon hitting the pavement broke into two...Neil picked up half in each hand 

and casually launched them from whence they came, the look on the two lads faces was priceless.......strong as an ox 

Upon reaching the station we all walked in, when someone asked where Neil was.

On hearing a commotion outside we all turned to see Neil running up the street balancing a sheffield fan on his head, 

when Neil reached a wall he threw his cargo over it, he was nicked just after....strange

As a side note Neil was probably the person who invented "the gas" since the early seventies he always referred to rovers fans as "cylinders" or "gas cylinders" and the rest is history !

Gloucester rd lads really were from a mixture of areas. Pringles was a hangout where a lot of young lads hung out. Alongside the names already mentioned names such as half caste Clive Edwards and brother Russell. tim bryers. Tim now dead. Dunk Morrison the selman brothers Kevin and rob. great times. Remember travelling on a coach run by a guy called taffy to west brom in the 1st division when all other games called off. Due to heavy snow. Proper day out. Phillip maki was collecting the fares as we went on to coach. Philip later went on to be a name at the gate.

Not forgetting Rob Burr,Gary Wright and Summerhayes.Clive and Russell used to smoke the biggest joints I've ever seen,about 6" inches long.As for Tim,in the middle of the Florist fans on the open end clubbing them with a walking stick.

Anyone here on that Good Friday football special train to Plymouth, 85? There might have been two trains, possibly? The one I was on started slowing up, stopping for ages, police helicopter circling above, finally reached the station, about kick off time, or just after, with plod all over the platform saying we were not going anywhere, other than back to Bristol, due to the amount of crowd trouble and number of City fans already there. At which point, a couple of hundred disembark the other side, across the track, heading up the hill eventually, through a graveyard at one point, finally reaching the ground to find us 0:1 down and having missed all the "fun" started by those that didn't go by train, or at least, not the one I was on.

The old bill could ride rough shod over people's rights in the 80s, knowing (or believing back then) that there would be no comeback on them. Wonder if it's worth contacting Watchdog about this after 29 years?

Anyone here on that Good Friday football special train to Plymouth, 85? There might have been two trains, possibly? The one I was on started slowing up, stopping for ages, police helicopter circling above, finally reached the station, about kick off time, or just after, with plod all over the platform saying we were not going anywhere, other than back to Bristol, due to the amount of crowd trouble and number of City fans already there. At which point, a couple of hundred disembark the other side, across the track, heading up the hill eventually, through a graveyard at one point, finally reaching the ground to find us 0:1 down and having missed all the "fun" started by those that didn't go by train, or at least, not the one I was on.

The old bill could ride rough shod over people's rights in the 80s, knowing (or believing back then) that there would be no comeback on them. Wonder if it's worth contacting Watchdog about this after 29 years?

Hired our own coach,probably the most mental coach I have ever been on,lads from Henbury,L Dub ,Shire and a few from Glos rd.When we arrivedwe were beckoned over to the away end by Dolly from Knowle, he and a load of other Westers were already in there and we were only too willing to join them,anyway it kicked right off and even got mentioned on radio Bristol apparently.After the game I seem to remember a double decker bus getting rocked back and forth,the mouthy gobshites on the top deck looked truley petrified. Out of 53 on the coach I believe only 26 returned on it,I didn,t.

Archived