IGNORED

Swindon Fans

_HSPARFITT

Proof is in the bonfire song...

Rovers and Cardiff mentioned in ours, Oxford and us mentioned in theirs.

There may be something in what Rich says, simply by the fact that those we regard as our biggest rivals are not in our league (literally, not as a figure of speech...). Although therefore a 'championship' rather than a 'premier' league rival, they are the biggest we have right now, and therefore I am sure a few more turned up for it, and it created some more discussion than normal.

I am sure they will take away from it, as we did at Peterboro, that they battled hard with 10 men, showed 'character', arguably created the best save of the game, and across the two games came away with bragging rights for the year. We will take away from it that there was a clean sheet, there was signs of progress, and right now it feels like a point closer to survival, rather than two points dropped on the 14th 'must win' game of the year.

Next year, fingers crossed, we start again, the wheel turns again and we see what happens!

across the two games came away with bragging rights for the year. 

You say that, but apart from Rich, I don't know (or ever come into contact with) any Swindon fans!  You may as well say Sheff Utd have the "bragging rights" over us.

AND, Rich wouldn't DARE brag as he'd get the rough end of Katy's tongue (ooh errr) !

You say that, but apart from Rich, I don't know (or ever come into contact with) any Swindon fans! You may as well say Sheff Utd have the "bragging rights" over us.

AND, Rich wouldn't DARE brag as he'd get the rough end of Katy's tongue (ooh errr) !

Ha! Katie and her entire clan also friends and work colleagues. Truly, I'm Swindon within a sea of City.

It's all in good fun.

I agree with cityexile.

I remember the early 90's when Swindon, City, Rovers and Oxford were all in the same division. Took it for granted as a kid though. Would be great fun now.

Teams like Reading and Cardiff were elsewhere.

I suppose it's a tricky one for you lot. What with City, Gas, Oxford, Reading and Cardiff to an extent, to choose from. Has it always been Oxford?

I remember Reading at home a few seasons ago and there was a lot of anti Swindon chants from the away end.

You say that, but apart from Rich, I don't know (or ever come into contact with) any Swindon fans!  You may as well say Sheff Utd have the "bragging rights" over us.

I suppose with a small b and r, but I agree with the jist of your comments. Have to say, when living in Bristol, did not really come across many Cardiff fans, but the rivalry still felt real enough. 

Although Swindon have clearly had more days in the sun, kind of feel like I do about Yeovil or Cheltenham. Yep, not that far away, but just no real history of a real rivalry between us. Our real one is clearly Rovers, for them its Oxford (as far as I understand it). Until that returns, which looks a long way away, we just have to get our fun where we can!

I suppose with a small b and r, but I agree with the jist of your comments. Have to say, when living in Bristol, did not really come across many Cardiff fans, but the rivalry still felt real enough. 

Although Swindon have clearly had more days in the sun, kind of feel like I do about Yeovil or Cheltenham. Yep, not that far away, but just no real history of a real rivalry between us. Our real one is clearly Rovers, for them its Oxford (as far as I understand it). Until that returns, which looks a long way away, we just have to get our fun where we can!

If Oxford came up I would imagine Swindon wouldn't be too bothered about us!

I always thought their Bristol rivalry was with the gas anyway, certainly recently?

I suppose it's a tricky one for you lot. What with City, Gas, Oxford, Reading and Cardiff to an extent, to choose from. Has it always been Oxford?

I remember Reading at home a few seasons ago and there was a lot of anti Swindon chants from the away end.

Reading hate us and still do but their rise has made the rivalry dormant. They are our oldest rivals though by a long way but Oxford is the big one.

Swindon's second oldest rival is Rovers believe it or not but that's only historically (earliest fixtures).

Nobody (Town fans) talks about City unless we're sharing divisions, we don't long to play you. In fact, it makes my life easier when we're not!

If Oxford came up I would imagine Swindon wouldn't be too bothered about us!

I always thought their Bristol rivalry was with the gas anyway, certainly recently?

Certainly since around 2006 Tim, I if I remember rightly it kicked off between them at the County Ground that year. Then there was the infamous Inn On The Green incident. Certainly no love lost between them.

Rich is spot on.  There are a lot of City fans who think we are a big time club.  In reality, other supporters compare us to the likes of Brentford, Barnsley, Plymouth etc.

Even though our away support is arguably one of the best around, its the years of mediocracy and dwindling in the lower divisions that gives us that reputation.

Our fall from grace since 2008 has been emphatic and not a single s**t has been given in the media or with other fans.  We are where we are expected to be...

Rich is spot on. There are a lot of City fans who think we are a big time club. In reality, other supporters compare us to the likes of Brentford, Barnsley, Plymouth etc.

Even though our away support is arguably one of the best around, its the years of mediocracy and dwindling in the lower divisions that gives us that reputation.

Our fall from grace since 2008 has been emphatic and not a single s**t has been given in the media or with other fans. We are where we are expected to be...

You say fans think we're big club, yet you state we have the best away support around. That's quite a statement! Which I have to disagree on.

Rich is spot on.  There are a lot of City fans who think we are a big time club.  In reality, other supporters compare us to the likes of Brentford, Barnsley, Plymouth etc.

Our fall from grace since 2008 has been emphatic and not a single s**t has been given in the media or with other fans.  We are where we are expected to be...

I think it's very hard to distinguish who is and isn't a "big" club (outside of the obvious 10 or so) How do you do it? Not that it means anything

We're not a big club.

LDV vans trophy is nothing to shout about!!

Finishing 2nd every time we get promoted is nothing to shout about!!

There isn't much apart from a runners up in the FA cup that stands out in our history.

The only thing that makes us a big club is the fact that

Bristol Rovers

Cheltenham

Torquay

Exeter

Yeovil

Newport

aren't big clubs

If we were situated in Birmingham we would look like minnows compared to WBA Villa Wolves and Brum add Coventry to that as well

Rich is spot on. There are a lot of City fans who think we are a big time club.

Really?

We are the biggest club in the Southwest but that's not like being on a par with genuinely big clubs in the Midlands, London, North West etc. every City fan I know understands this.

I don't know any City fans who think we are a massive club, it's a myth created by Gasheads.

Funnily enough I do know quite a few Gasheads who think they are a much MUCH bigger club than their league position suggests.

You say fans think we're big club, yet you state we have the best away support around. That's quite a statement! Which I have to disagree on.

Given where we are I was suprised to see over 1000+ City at the recent London games.  Granted, many of those fans probably live in and around London but I still think its impressive.  I have no doubt that if we were in the PL we would take epic numbers to away games, City trying to sit in home sections etc..

Ultimately, we are not judged on that though. It's the terrible recent history we have had which I stated above.

I asked a good friend who supports Ipswich a few months back which sides he compares us to.  When he said Brentford that hurt a bit..

Until we have a new stadium and a run in the top flight we will never be a 'big club' ala Leeds, Forest etc...

I don't think having a good away support equates to being a big club, though. City have a great hardcore support, always have done. We don't have many 'floating' fans though - they only appear when we have some degree of success. A big club in this division is Sheffield United or Wolves. They've had recent top-flight experience and have won league titles (albeit many years ago).

Until we achieve this level of success or sustain top-flight football we will not be a big club.

We are a decent medium-sized club with loyal hardcore support, and most of our history we've been floating around the middle two divisions. 

Given where we are I was suprised to see over 1000+ City at the recent London games.  Granted, many of those fans probably live in and around London but I still think its impressive.  I have no doubt that if we were in the PL we would take epic numbers to away games, City trying to sit in home sections etc..

Ultimately, we are not judged on that though. It's the terrible recent history we have had which I stated above.

I asked a good friend who supports Ipswich a few months back which sides he compares us to.  When he said Brentford that hurt a bit..

Until we have a new stadium and a run in the top flight we will never be a 'big club' ala Leeds, Forest etc...

IT'S NOT ALWAYS THE FANS SAYING "BIG" CLUB, blah blah blah. FFS.

Go back and listen to El Ab's interview on signing for us. What does he say? Go back to the 80s, and TV interviews have new signings on the edge of the pitch glancing up at the stands and blethering "big club," "potential" etc, etc. Not us, players from other clubs. Small talk to woo the punters you might say, probably so. But do we hear players saying such like on joining Rovers, or Brentford? I don't know. But it has been said by PLAYERS, from all parts, and managers too. What would Warnock say about us? Big club, potential, blah blah. Most City fans know exactly what we are, but you will always find exceptions.

Ipswich fan? We've played Ipswich rather more than we have Brentford over recent years. I would suggest we're somewhere halfway between what Ipswich and Brentford are right now (yes, even allowing for Brentford's current winning team).Try a bigger survey-sample, perhaps?

Our real hate is Oxford followed by Rovers and no one really mentions City.

The Oxford rivalry is intense when we do get to play each other.

Rovers fans were brave a couple of seasons ago and attacked a pub which was full of kids and mainly grand parents taking their kids to the game and were hitting them with lumps of wood a total bunch of morons.

Rovers fans were brave a couple of seasons ago and attacked a pub which was full of kids and mainly grand parents taking their kids to the game and were hitting them with lumps of wood a total bunch of morons.

Followed by a tweet from an ex-chairman praising them for their restraint, I wouldn't doubt.

Our real hate is Oxford followed by Rovers and no one really mentions City.

The Oxford rivalry is intense when we do get to play each other.

Agree with that one ;)

That's a good way to get liked on here

Archived