IGNORED

Willem Friendly

Barrs Court Red

I know plenty of people who have zero affiliation with any group who would enjoy closer ties and regular friendlies with Willem. Whats the harm? I can't see any downside to this arrangement and only positives. Something that many fans would have enjoyed from both sides but hey **** the fans lets go to Botswana because our owner wants a jolly.

It seems Willem have gone out of there way to organise this friendly twice and form closer ties at the request of there fans yet we show little interest and respect, this I find very disappointing, but nothing this club/board surprises me anymore.

Think I might have travelled over.

Most of the very best things we do as a Club are fan-inspired. It is those things that make us unique and proud to be a City supporter ( far more than the last few decades on-the-field efforts). Maybe someone will realise that one day and enthusiastically facilitate rather than frustrate delivery.

Disappointing.

Not going back on anything - the vast majority are not interested as the vast majority either do not read this forum or have no knowledge of its existence.

Why do people take things so literally ? It aint hard to grasp is it ?

Regardless of whether a friendly against Willy 2 is a good idea or not, this is a valid point usually forgotten. Interesting as it is, the forum doesn't represent the views of the majority of the supporters, who don't know it exists.

• Admin

Regardless of whether a friendly against Willy 2 is a good idea or not, this is a valid point usually forgotten. Interesting as it is, the forum doesn't represent the views of the majority of the supporters, who don't know it exists.

Very true , I know of many people from a variety of bars around Bedminster that don't use OTIB who were really looking forward to this fixture

I know plenty of people who have zero affiliation with any group who would enjoy closer ties and regular friendlies with Willem. Whats the harm? I can't see any downside to this arrangement and only positives. Something that many fans would have enjoyed from both sides but hey **** the fans lets go to Botswana because our owner wants a jolly.

It seems Willem have gone out of there way to organise this friendly twice and form closer ties at the request of there fans yet we show little interest and respect, this I find very disappointing, but nothing this club/board surprises me anymore.

I'm guessing that the 'harm' will be if the first team manager doesn't think the game will offer anything in terms of a pre-season fixture. But equally, we have pre-season games that are early enough in the pre-season programme that offer nothing more than a fitness exercise to 30 players, so if he doesn't think the opposition are 'worthy' then maybe in the future there will be a chance to have this as a pre-pre-season warm up game.

If you all want a piss up for a weekend I recommend Butlins.

Numerous families would have travelled to Tilburg as you will be aware. You will also be aware of a South Bristol kids team that has expressed an interest in playing games in the Netherlands and combining that with watching City if a friendly is arranged.

None of which will occur in East Africa unless you know of a kids team in South Bristol whose parents are all affluent and numerous rich families going to Gaberone.

• Admin

I'm guessing that the 'harm' will be if the first team manager doesn't think the game will offer anything in terms of a pre-season fixture. But equally, we have pre-season games that are early enough in the pre-season programme that offer nothing more than a fitness exercise to 30 players, so if he doesn't think the opposition are 'worthy' then maybe in the future there will be a chance to have this as a pre-pre-season warm up game.

True, why would we want to play against a side that will be a top division Dutch side next season, when we can travel over 5000 miles to play someone no better than Mangotsfield

Not sure it's bad PR.

It's a few supporters who have a relationship with Willem, not the club, board or the balance sheet.

1500+ on Facebook, that's a decent amount for a pre-season friendly and many more in Holland and here.

It would be good PR to have the friendly, shows the club are listening to the fans and what they want, I don't know how you can dispute that?

1500+ on Facebook, that's a decent amount for a pre-season friendly and many more in Holland and here.

It would be good PR to have the friendly, shows the club are listening to the fans and what they want, I don't know how you can dispute that?

So if the 1500 all bunged in between thirteen and fourteen quid, it would cover the twenty grand fee that's been suggested.

So if the 1500 all bunged in between thirteen and fourteen quid, it would cover the twenty grand fee that's been suggested.

In this instance I think the club should be prepared to make a loss to cover it. In the scheme of things it's not much for a football club and shows the club are listening to fans. If that 20,000 figure is true and these fixtures become a success perhaps it would make a profit over a few years.

That's what I would do anyway..

It will do nothing to promote good vibes amongst hundreds who would have bought the ticket took the ride ... Which is entirely reasonable to think = Its crap.

I work with a Spanish lad. Do you think the club should play Real Madrid as it'll make him happy? I wouldn't be surprised if more supporters were eager to see such a fixture.

I work with a Spanish lad. Do you think the club should play Real Madrid as it'll make him happy? I wouldn't be surprised if more supporters were eager to see such a fixture.

Even if I got locked in an attic with all of Stokes Crofts drug collection I would not suggest Real Madrid want Wurzel at the Bernabeu.

Meanwhile on planet earth.

Willem II want to play Bristol City. Hundreds of Bristol City fans want to play Willem II.

You can smell the good PR.

Not all are from Bristol, it's a mixture of fans.

Also will they all go? Probably not, probably only a third will. It's easy to click like on Facebook.

In this instance I think the club should be prepared to make a loss to cover it. In the scheme of things it's not much for a football club and shows the club are listening to fans. If that 20,000 figure is true and these fixtures become a success perhaps it would make a profit over a few years.

That's what I would do anyway..

Its not only that, Willem II are keen on an official link with BCFC, why arent we? I see nothing but benefits for this link. Swap scouting notes, do a player link, send our kids over there for European experience and vice versa. Its just not making, say 500, fans happy as i would of gone over, but the professional side of things we could of gained a hell of a lot from a club who are going to be playing top flight football and are trying to bend over backwards to get an official link with us. Its a damn shame BCFC arent listening though and making this extremely hard.

To say they cant play a friendly due to 'lack of notice' is a complete joke as this has been in the pipeline for almost 18 months now!

Not all are from Bristol, it's a mixture of fans.

Also will they all go? Probably not, probably only a third will. It's easy to click like on Facebook.

If 500 went which would include non users of facebook that is more than at any friendly abroad in decades. It would also be more than the anglo Italian cups games years ago. Placing "more" in a social context which football has, more, a lot more people participating in support of a club, and a club is what City is meant to be is an improvement.

Its not only that, Willem II are keen on an official link with BCFC, why arent we? I see nothing but benefits for this link. Swap scouting notes, do a player link, send our kids over there for European experience and vice versa. Its just not making, say 500, fans happy as i would of gone over, but the professional side of things we could of gained a hell of a lot from a club who are going to be playing top flight football and are trying to bend over backwards to get an official link with us. Its a damn shame BCFC arent listening though and making this extremely hard.

To say they cant play a friendly due to 'lack of notice' is a complete joke as this has been in the pipeline for almost 18 months now!

Agreed, very disappointing and a bit disrespectful to willem who may rightly feel a bit cheesed off with city's attitude.

As for the cost, how much is the owners flight of fancy to Gaborone costing? A pr exercise for sure and as much use for pre season as playing Clifton rockets on the downs

Thing is all the signs seemed positive and Dave L said the club were in talks with Willem. Keith Burt already had contacts at Willem. The only thing I can see that's changed in the last few months is SC coming in...

Thing is all the signs seemed positive and Dave L said the club were in talks with Willem. Keith Burt already had contacts at Willem. The only thing I can see that's changed in the last few months is SC coming in...

I have a feeling that all that from Dave L back in October or whenever it was, happened to be nothing more than pillow talk. Massive shame as the benefits for us would be huge. If i remember rightly, Swansea based alot of there early success on imports from Holland

Archived