IGNORED

Sod ,why The Support ?

Major Isewater

There is no denying SoD failed when it came to getting results.

However...he will be fondly remembered for being an engaging, thoughtful and intelligent manager.

Speak for yourself Spudski, most of us will not remember him fondly at all.

The piss in the pants strategy ( do you mean appointing Cotterill, entertaining football?) is a big improvement on the 'empty the ground' strategy we endured under that coach with 'the reputation for playing good football' who delivered almost none.

It was all fine words with O'Driscoll, he was killing the club and would likely have taken City into the basement - time you took in a game under Cotterill, Tommy, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Del did a good deal of the make over, if you remember, clearing out stacks of rotting wood long before SO'D turned up.

The board strategy was correct and continues, O'Driscoll patently showed he was not the man to implement it. By luck, judgement or desperation the board might just have appointed a man who can, while being successful and entertaining at the same time.

You're wasting your time with some on here. The SOD love in with some is embarrassing. Better Results and better football under SC by a mile

The piss in the pants strategy ( do you mean appointing Cotterill, entertaining football?) is a big improvement on the 'empty the ground' strategy we endured under that coach with 'the reputation for playing good football' who delivered almost none.

It was all fine words with O'Driscoll, he was killing the club and would likely have taken City into the basement - time you took in a game under Cotterill, Tommy, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Del did a good deal of the make over, if you remember, clearing out stacks of rotting wood long before SO'D turned up.

The board strategy was correct and continues, O'Driscoll patently showed he was not the man to implement it. By luck, judgement or desperation the board might just have appointed a man who can, while being successful and entertaining at the same time.

I'm not having a go on Cotterill Nogbad. His loan signings have been great. Wade Elliott is different class. But we have been heading in the wrong direction for so long losing an incredible amount of money. SOD said there was no money. Board said it was. Who do you believe? I believe they underrated the challenge of L1 football. We definately need a total make-over footballwise.  

I enjoyed his programme notes as well, he talked a lot more sense than Cotts but the fact of the matter is he bamboozled our players so much with his hyperbole he probably lost them after the first 2 minutes and their eyes glazed over; no wonder we could never find the net and kept letting goals in..

...I think I have just stumbled upon the reason for failure. As for Delboy.. they glazed over with him as well because his accent gave them all a headache trying to decipher it.

Simples really. Whats the next topic?

I'm not having a go on Cotterill Nogbad. His loan signings have been great. Wade Elliott is different class. But we have been heading in the wrong direction for so long losing an incredible amount of money. SOD said there was no money. Board said it was. Who do you believe? I believe they underrated the challenge of L1 football. We definately need a total make-over footballwise.  

If you agreed with the strategy put forward by the board when appointing O'Driscoll - particularly regarding predominantly aiming to sign payers ( permanent, that is) aged 24 or under with sell on value, and giving chances to Academy players, all with the aim of producing a return for the club, then you should be equally happy with Cotterill.

Only the figurehead has changed, Cotterill agreed at interview to produce a much younger team, and aim to produce an entertaining, passing, and ultimately successful young Bristol City side. He agreed with the policy that good offers should be acepted in future, to strike while the iron is hot as it were, and not be precious about keeping so-called popular players on long contracts. All this was part of his job remit, though obviously difficult to implement immediately while trying to ward off a second successive relegation.

We had the wrong man in O'Driscoll, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about that, but we are assured the strategy will continue, and I'm willing to accept that until events show otherwise.

At the moment I'm more than happy about the way things are going - the football is entertaining with plenty of goals, youngsters are being given a chance (when fit) and the likes of Burns now see a future at the club where they only saw a brick wall before. The old heads we have signed - mostly temporary - have been signed for a reason in positions they were needed and have on the whole done a superb job.

As a fan this all makes sense to me, I have renewed confidence about the future of the club, and am getting ever more confident we might well have the right man in charge to enjoy success with some style in the near future. 

I enjoyed his programme notes as well, he talked a lot more sense than Cotts but the fact of the matter is he bamboozled our players so much with his hyperbole he probably lost them after the first 2 minutes and their eyes glazed over; no wonder we could never find the net and kept letting goals in..

...I think I have just stumbled upon the reason for failure. As for Delboy.. they glazed over with him as well because his accent gave them all a headache trying to decipher it.

I agree one is a grassroots football man and footballers not the sharpest tools in the box can understand him, the other guy tried to coach as if he was lecturing a squad full of physicists, it will be interesting to see whether SOD ever gets another job and if he does at what level and whether he trys the same approach again, IMO SOD may have damaged his reputation with his BCFC stint and one thing is for sure SC even if he fails with us will always get another job.

Doesn't fit with the reality that players were disappointed to lose him does it?

And not everyone is convinced by Cotterill ...

He really was an awful manager.

Sacked by Doncaster, sacked by Forest, took us down without any fight then took us to rock bottom of L1.

Terrible style of hoof from the back, complete lack of passion on the touchline.

His record speaks for itself and it is utter dross as well.

Good riddance. We've stayed up without him.

There is no denying SoD failed when it came to getting results.

However...he will be fondly remembered for being an engaging, thoughtful and intelligent manager.

He worked his socks off behind the scenes, willingly engaged with supporters and gave a lot of time to those in the community.

On leaving he emailed people he didn't need to, to thank them for their support and help.

There is little knowledge of the amount of work carried out by him, trying to make this Club run like a football Club and put things in place behind the scenes, to create a platform from which we could spring from...for our long term future.

It was probably this, that was eventually his downfall.

Steve Coppell came in and found the same problems.

Both managers, found the same problems, tried to fix them, for the good of the Club, but eventually came to a brickwall.

Both had problems working with parts of the Board and owner.

Both came with good reputations from within football...both left the same way.

Both ultimately failed working with our club when it came to working with those in charge and getting results.

Needless to say... we have now moved on.

Hopefully we will one day,  have a Club where manager, board and owner are all singing from the same hymn sheet and it's not just empty words. A Club, that has developed it's scouting, has coach's working in co ordination with the first team and an actual plan of action for the future. Plus a budget put in place for all these elements.

GJ as Director of football... LJ as manager...the writing is already on the wall...

The highlighted bit of your post may be true, but perhaps he should have engaged better with his backroom staff!!

Thing is, the 'outcry' was pretty much only noticeable here on OTIB as far as I can see.

No one I know saw the apparent 'corner' that we were supposed to be turning, only a steep downhill slope. Reaction to the sacking of SOD and the appointment of SC from fellow fans who sit around me at the ground seemed positive.

Personally I prefer to rely on the real world as my gauge of public opinion rather than the internet. Or am I just old fashioned?

This was very much my experience. I have yet to meet a supporter who didn't back the sacking. I think the internet can distort and magnify people's opinions.

BUT this topic really has been done to death....

Doesn't fit with the reality that players were disappointed to lose him does it?

And not everyone is convinced by Cotterill ...

Love the second bit.

Wonder what more than achieve 8 wins 7 draws and 5 defeats in 20 games he could have done with a team that had won 2 in 19 to "convince" you?

I agree one is a grassroots football man and footballers not the sharpest tools in the box can understand him, the other guy tried to coach as if he was lecturing a squad full of physicists, it will be interesting to see whether SOD ever gets another job and if he does at what level and whether he trys the same approach again, IMO SOD may have damaged his reputation with his BCFC stint and one thing is for sure SC even if he fails with us will always get another job.

Blimey...you've hit an all time low with that one.

How sad, that you still think football is stuck in the 70's.

We deserve little else at this Club...no wonder we've always been crap... the majority of fans seem to welcome passion ( shown as shouting and waving arms around on the touchline ) and a style that is old hat.

Do you think the likes of Wenger, Mourinho, Garcia,De Boer, Benetiz, Gaurdiola to name a few, don't talk elaborate tactics with their players?

SoD won't have damaged his reputation being here... the only reputation that will be damaged is word getting around about how difficult it is to work with the owner and board unless you are willing to be a 'yes' man.

Managers, players, coach's generally have a dip in their career, with a few exceptions, when they sign for City...then leave and do better for themselves.

Think about it...most have a career, come here, take a decent wage, find their career go backwards, move on, and generally do better. That is the long and short of it. Not everyone...but the majority.

SoD tried something different, it didn't work straight away. Never got on with the owner and certain board members...but got on with pretty much everyone else.

Were you ever privy to SoD's coaching? Did you ever watch or listen? Have you ever spoken to any of the players and asked them whether they understood what was happening? Did the players enjoy working for him and learning about modern football? Ask them. See what answer you get.

Fans just see the results improve with the first team and have little clue about the turmoil at the rest of the club.

Short term fix again...around and around we go.

I'm glad SoD left...he deserves a Club that know a little about football...not this amateur set up.

Some fans can't see the wood for the trees it seems.

Now watch the abuse... :grr:

We deserve little else at this Club...no wonder we've always been crap... the majority of fans seem to welcome passion ( shown as shouting and waving arms around on the touchline ) and a style that is old hat.

Do you think the likes of Wenger, Mourinho, Garcia,De Boer, Benetiz, Gaurdiola to name a few, don't talk elaborate tactics with their players?

SoD won't have damaged his reputation being here... the only reputation that will be damaged is word getting around about how difficult it is to work with the owner and board unless you are willing to be a 'yes' man.

Managers, players, coach's generally have a dip in their career, with a few exceptions, when they sign for City...then leave and do better for themselves.

Think about it...most have a career, come here, take a decent wage, find their career go backwards, move on, and generally do better. That is the long and short of it. Not everyone...but the majority.

SoD tried something different, it didn't work straight away. Never got on with the owner and certain board members...but got on with pretty much everyone else.

Were you ever privy to SoD's coaching? Did you ever watch or listen? Have you ever spoken to any of the players and asked them whether they understood what was happening? Did the players enjoy working for him and learning about modern football? Ask them. See what answer you get.

Fans just see the results improve with the first team and have little clue about the turmoil at the rest of the club.

I'm glad SoD left...he deserves a Club that know a little about football...not this amateur set up.

No abuse from me.  You are so right - if a lone voice on the wilderness.

Wasn't it Davies last season that said training was painfully boring under SOD. The bit that SOD tried something different but didn't work straight away is funny though. Fair play.

Isn't it about time a thread started for McInnes to give him the obligatory OTIB pat on the back whilst forgetting how shit he was for us?

Only difference is because he wasn't 'dour' like SOD he is remembered fondly.

No because he did actually keep us up unlike the other bloke.

If Brendan Rogers says that SOD is a great coach then that will do for me.

BUT tactics and modern football? Give me a break. Home match after home match where we played one up top with no runners from midfield. Countless times where players looked up to put a cross in the box and had to hold on to it because we had one forward against four defenders. Game after game where the opposition Goalkeepers gloves were as clean at 4:50pm as they were at 3 O'Clock. Long balls from the back to the front at a 5'7" "target man" every week. The Sheffield United match which must go down as the worst fare ever seen at Ashton Gate, 70's style "football" at it's "finest" if you like. None of that reminds me of Mourinho, Rogers (two up top by the way), De Boer, Garcia, Guardiola, Pelligrini, Wenger and the like.

I don't know if Cotterill is the long term answer but at least we are starting to see some remnants of football being played at the moment. Tactically we now seem to have a clue especially when we are trying to play on the front foot and not trying to hold a lead (which Cotterill admitted he messed up). And I'm seeing players like Wes Burns being given opportunities, albeit limited at present, to express himself.

Perhaps the answer is that SOD is a great Coach but not so good a Manager?

You seem to be in the know about players thoughts, the "turmoil" and the "amateur set up" we have. Is that just rhetoric or perhaps you would care to enlighten those that, like me, cannot see the wood from the trees. From what I can see the Academy has improved significantly recently and that is a subject I do take a great interest in and have a limited knowledge of - but perhaps you can tell me better?

SoD tried something different, it didn't work straight away. Never got on with the owner and certain board members...but got on with pretty much everyone else.

It didn't work straightaway? It never worked pal. Of course players understand people like Guardiola, Mourinho et al...because they are among the best managers in the world. O'Driscoll, on the other hand, was a dour Brummy with no tactical nous. It's not about whether people like passion or not, it's about getting results. People wouldn't have minded SOD being dismal if we were winning every week, in the same way that Cotterill's passion would mean nothing if we were continually losing.

No because he did actually keep us up unlike the other bloke.

A combination of luck and heavy backing from the board contributed to that more than Derek the saviour did.

SOD didn't have the luxury that McInnes did and we tried a different route rather than chucking money at it. I don't think anyone can deny we went down with a wimper under SOD but people are quick to forget who put us there and just how bad it was under Del that season. We couldn't keep a clean sheet under him so had absolutely no chance.

A combination of luck and heavy backing from the board contributed to that more than Derek the saviour did.

SOD didn't have the luxury that McInnes did and we tried a different route rather than chucking money at it. I don't think anyone can deny we went down with a wimper under SOD but people are quick to forget who put us there and just how bad it was under Del that season. We couldn't keep a clean sheet under him so had absolutely no chance.

That is true, DEL was a nightmare.

Archived