IGNORED

Sod ,why The Support ?

Major Isewater

That is true, DEL was a nightmare.

I'm not defending SOD as such but people have very very short memories. They were ultimately both as bad as each other and contributed to our demise but because McInnes was a 'nice bloke' and has gone on to do well for himself all is forgotten and we can all give good old Derek a pat on the back....well I'm sorry but it's bollocks.

I'm not defending SOD as such but people have very very short memories. They were ultimately both as bad as each other and contributed to our demise but because McInnes was a 'nice bloke' and has gone on to do well for himself all is forgotten and we can all give good old Derek a pat on the back....well I'm sorry but it's bollocks.

I agree just becuase he's done well in a shit league does not excuse him from the mess he left us in, or playing that shitter Foster at right back week after week after week :'(

Perhaps I prefer to take a long term view. You clearly don't.

Well at some point in the future he will almost certainly fail, as all managers eventually do. Then you can say 'I told you so'. Hopefully though it won't happen for a while, or anywhere near as spectacularly as Mr O'Driscoll. In the meantime, let's just enjoy it, yes?

Lets face it... Gary Johnson, Steve Coppell, Keith Millen, Derek McCinnes, SoD and Steve Cotterill are not bad coaches or managers.

None of them are. They've all done well at other clubs.

It doesn't matter what manager you bring here... he will eventually fail. Even SC will.

This Club is rotten to the core and it isn't until a manager gets here, that he realises it.

The Board and Owner are clueless...take things personally and let it effect their judgement.

The Scouting, Acadamy, Budgeting, Coaching staff, communication is all fragmented and no one knows who or what they are meant to be doing. It's a farse down their...and it has been for years.

No rhetoric...just ask about and speak to those who have worked their and work their now.

Don't be harsh on any manager that comes here...it is a complete shambles and run by Amateurs.

Judging on results only is futile... I feel sorry for any manager that works for BCFC in it's present state.

Believe what you want in the press and what is told on the site... it's all bull.

Well at some point in the future he will almost certainly fail, as all managers eventually do. Then you can say 'I told you so'. Hopefully though it won't happen for a while, or anywhere near as spectacularly as Mr O'Driscoll. In the meantime, let's just enjoy it, yes?

Have every intention of doing so and none at all of saying 'I told you so' as I don't want our club to fail and am not interested in point scoring on here. But I do object to posts that suggest "Cotts" has won us all over ... Fine to speak for yourself but please don't assume on my behalf because I will look for evidence of more than quick wins.

Lets face it... Gary Johnson, Steve Coppell, Keith Millen, Derek McCinnes, SoD and Steve Cotterill are not bad coaches or managers.

None of them are. They've all done well at other clubs.

It doesn't matter what manager you bring here... he will eventually fail. Even SC will.

This Club is rotten to the core and it isn't until a manager gets here, that he realises it.

The Board and Owner are clueless...take things personally and let it effect their judgement.

The Scouting, Acadamy, Budgeting, Coaching staff, communication is all fragmented and no one knows who or what they are meant to be doing. It's a farse down their...and it has been for years.

No rhetoric...just ask about and speak to those who have worked their and work their now.

Don't be harsh on any manager that comes here...it is a complete shambles and run by Amateurs.

Judging on results only is futile... I feel sorry for any manager that works for BCFC in it's present state.

Believe what you want in the press and what is told on the site... it's all bull.

You are Leroy Rosenior and I claim my five pounds!

Ah there's the Spudski we all know and love!

Why the name change? Seems almost poetic after reading that last post...!

Mate...Depths of Despair seems more appropriate at the moment.

After discussions this week, I've even less faith in those running this Club. It's even worse than before.

Results might be good in the first team...but god help our future if things aren't sorted soon...it's a complete joke and farce down their.

Did Rodgers and Wenger get to many of our games this season? No!

They are going on SOD's "past glories" - such that they are.

To me, reputation means nothing; the proof of the pudding was their for all eyes to see: The team didn't have much movement - it was static; it wasn't expressive football - the main expression was burying your face in your hands.

Why can't people see that abilities can decline, circumstances can make someone wrong for a job, reputations aren't always justified.

Your argument that everyone liked Sean apart from the chairman is utterly wrong incidentally. I know two club employees (one now departed) who couldn't stand him; said he was rude and arrogant.

As for the players, most have played better after Sean's departure, so that sort of shoots down any idea that they were devastated by the sacking of their "mentor".

Like I said... Managers and coach's are good before and after being with City. Same can be said of SoD.

'Circumstances' in this case mean coming to work for BCFC...it doesn't work for any manager or coach.

As for people not liking him... SL and 3 board members never got on with him.

As for the person you know who left...if we are thinking of the same person...no SoD didn't like him either, because he was useless at his job.

Every player I've spoken to said they wanted to play under SoD and enjoyed his time here...they learnt a lot, it just took to long to gel. They wanted it to work.

Speak to them... If you speak to them outside of work or not straight after a game, at the golf club, down the gym or Club you'll get an honest answer, as long as you don't behave like maronic fans.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/161974-first-game-since-sods-departure/

I was impressed by the first thread above you posted on your return to the forum about the PV game. Such enthusiasm and quite contrite in many ways.

Bar a little dig about the 5 pillars near the end you described the night variously as 'a comprehensive win, astonishing, very entertaining, very open.'

But it didn't last long, the next day you're back to knocking the club and preaching about O'Driscoll.

We've sat through O'Driscoll and now Cotterill while you've been abroad for the Winter and City are NOW, under Cotterill, playing exactly the sort of entertaining, and WINNING football we've craved for so long.

Your obsession with knocking the club, the board, the style of play, your continual references ( or perhaps guesses more like, to suit your agenda) of what the players thought, what people who work there think, cut no ice with me whatsoever. No one person can have as many contacts as you claim to have.

You've said you enjoyed the Port Vale game, attacking football, entertaining, goals, and the club is very obviously on the up - what more do you want for Christ's sake?

Time you stopped wasting your breath and gave the preaching a rest. There are very few, if any, converts to be had here amongst those who actually watch games.

Blimey...you've hit an all time low with that one.

How sad, that you still think football is stuck in the 70's.

We deserve little else at this Club...no wonder we've always been crap... the majority of fans seem to welcome passion ( shown as shouting and waving arms around on the touchline ) and a style that is old hat.

Do you think the likes of Wenger, Mourinho, Garcia,De Boer, Benetiz, Gaurdiola to name a few, don't talk elaborate tactics with their players?

SoD won't have damaged his reputation being here... the only reputation that will be damaged is word getting around about how difficult it is to work with the owner and board unless you are willing to be a 'yes' man.

Managers, players, coach's generally have a dip in their career, with a few exceptions, when they sign for City...then leave and do better for themselves.

Think about it...most have a career, come here, take a decent wage, find their career go backwards, move on, and generally do better. That is the long and short of it. Not everyone...but the majority.

SoD tried something different, it didn't work straight away. Never got on with the owner and certain board members...but got on with pretty much everyone else.

Were you ever privy to SoD's coaching? Did you ever watch or listen? Have you ever spoken to any of the players and asked them whether they understood what was happening? Did the players enjoy working for him and learning about modern football? Ask them. See what answer you get.

Fans just see the results improve with the first team and have little clue about the turmoil at the rest of the club.

Short term fix again...around and around we go.

I'm glad SoD left...he deserves a Club that know a little about football...not this amateur set up.

Some fans can't see the wood for the trees it seems.

Now watch the abuse... :grr:

Good post.

SC does seem to be doing a decent job at the moment. Long may it continue.

The problem I have with our club is the same as you say it,once again we have no long term plan.

SC will be here for 2-3 years and then we will do it all over again.

The main thing SOD was asked to do was to put a long term plan/structure in place,not a quick fix.

I'm quite aware it didn't work out for him!!

But we need someone sometime to do this,perhaps SC will do this himself,but I haven't seen him do it at the other clubs he's been at before.

We need a 20 year plan,not a 6 month plan every 6 months!

Like I said... Managers and coach's are good before and after being with City. Same can be said of SoD.

'Circumstances' in this case mean coming to work for BCFC...it doesn't work for any manager or coach.

As for the person you know who left...if we are thinking of the same person...no SoD didn't like him either, because he was useless at his job.

Every player I've spoken to said they wanted to play under SoD and enjoyed his time here...they learnt a lot, it just took to long to gel. They wanted it to work.

Speak to them... If you speak to them outside of work or not straight after a game, at the golf club, down the gym or Club you'll get an honest answer, as long as you don't behave like maronic fans.

Yep they certainly learnt how to lose very week. Don't kid yourself plenty said training was painfully boring under SOD, look at players like Baldock now, he was depressed under SOD having to challenge 6ft plus cb's in the air for 90minutes.

Good post.

SC does seem to be doing a decent job at the moment. Long may it continue.

The problem I have with our club is the same as you say it,once again we have no long term plan.

SC will be here for 2-3 years and then we will do it all over again.

The main thing SOD was asked to do was to put a long term plan/structure in place,not a quick fix.

I'm quite aware it didn't work out for him!!

But we need someone sometime to do this,perhaps SC will do this himself,but I haven't seen him do it at the other clubs he's been at before.

We need a 20 year plan,not a 6 month plan every 6 months!

the only plan for SC when he joined was to keep us up this season. nothing else matters for now.

Hehe, I won't be maronic I promise. Never liked marrows. ;-)

You aren't thinking of the right employee Spud and I'll be the first to admit that I haven't carried out some exhaustive poll of opinions on O'Driscoll within AG.I was just passing on two people's feedback.

I don't think you can say every manager who has come here has gone on to do better elsewhere or indeed that all have failed here: Johnson didn't, I'd argue, he just came to a logical conclusion. That's football. As a keen fan of O'Driscoll even you will have to concede that his time at Doncaster ended with a run of abject failure.

For whatever reasons - and I've given my views on this so many times I cannot be arsed to reiterate them - Sean was the wrong man at the wrong time.

Yep they certainly learnt how to lose very week. Don't kid yourself plenty said training was painfully boring under SOD, look at players like Baldock now, he was depressed under SOD having to challenge 6ft plus cb's in the air for 90minutes.

Have you ever spoken to Sam on the subject?

Certain players found certain aspects of the training laborious, because SoD was trying to ingrain it in to them, so it became second nature. Pretty much what they do at the likes of Barcelona and Ajax to name two.

A lot of English players aren't accustomed to working on technical aspects...and yes it's bloody boring...but it brings success.

Those that do embrace it...succeed.

Look at Becks for an obvious example...practicing free kicks...one after the other, until he perfected them. Boring...but essential.

Why do you think golfers spend so much time on the driving range hitting ball after ball.

It's so you can do it instinctively under pressure without having to think.

Who said training was meant to be fun...it's a job...you do things to succeed...if it means boring then so be it.

The players who are successful, embrace it because they know how important it is.

Sam was disappointed in his own performances, not on what SoD was coaching...ask him.

One particular player thought he was above it all...he's no longer here...and not scoring many either for Blackpool.

C'mon...you should know all this right...? You know about football...no?

Have you ever spoken to Sam on the subject?

Certain players found certain aspects of the training laborious, because SoD was trying to ingrain it in to them, so it became second nature. Pretty much what they do at the likes of Barcelona and Ajax to name two.

A lot of English players aren't accustomed to working on technical aspects...and yes it's bloody boring...but it brings success.

Those that do embrace it...succeed.

Look at Becks for an obvious example...practicing free kicks...one after the other, until he perfected them. Boring...but essential.

Why do you think golfers spend so much time on the driving range hitting ball after ball.

It's so you can do it instinctively under pressure without having to think.

Who said training was meant to be fun...it's a job...you do things to succeed...if it means boring then so be it.

The players who are successful, embrace it because they know how important it is.

Sam was disappointed in his own performances, not on what SoD was coaching...ask him.

One particular player thought he was above it all...he's no longer here...and not scoring many either for Blackpool.

C'mon...you should know all this right...? You know about football...no?

It hasn't taken SC long to drum it into them has it. Funny that.

It hasn't taken SC long to drum it into them has it. Funny that.

What...playing in a style they are pretty much accustomed too?

Some solid players in our squad right now, that should be doing well at this level.

Especially playing the way we are.

SoD tried changing it drastically, throughout the Club, for a long term future...it didn't work quick enough.

We'll see how many are having this type of conversation again when SC eventually fails, and we all start again from square one.

I totally agree SoD wasn't right for this Club.

On paper yes... his ideas superb...but not under this ownership or board.

Good luck to SC...he's already had a few fall outs with SL.

Do a bit of pokin and find out who sanctioned some of the recent signings!

Can't believe so many can't see the bigger picture. Forget SoD...forget SC...it's what is going to happen in the future that counts.

So many seem so happy to be just in the present, then moan in a while when it all goes Pete tong again...

If Brendan Rogers says that SOD is a great coach then that will do for me.

BUT tactics and modern football? Give me a break. Home match after home match where we played one up top with no runners from midfield. Countless times where players looked up to put a cross in the box and had to hold on to it because we had one forward against four defenders. Game after game where the opposition Goalkeepers gloves were as clean at 4:50pm as they were at 3 O'Clock. Long balls from the back to the front at a 5'7" "target man" every week. The Sheffield United match which must go down as the worst fare ever seen at Ashton Gate, 70's style "football" at it's "finest" if you like. None of that reminds me of Mourinho, Rogers (two up top by the way), De Boer, Garcia, Guardiola, Pelligrini, Wenger and the like.

I don't know if Cotterill is the long term answer but at least we are starting to see some remnants of football being played at the moment. Tactically we now seem to have a clue especially when we are trying to play on the front foot and not trying to hold a lead (which Cotterill admitted he messed up). And I'm seeing players like Wes Burns being given opportunities, albeit limited at present, to express himself.

Perhaps the answer is that SOD is a great Coach but not so good a Manager?

You seem to be in the know about players thoughts, the "turmoil" and the "amateur set up" we have. Is that just rhetoric or perhaps you would care to enlighten those that, like me, cannot see the wood from the trees. From what I can see the Academy has improved significantly recently and that is a subject I do take a great interest in and have a limited knowledge of - but perhaps you can tell me better?

Best argument against O'Driscoll I've read so far. Clearly written by someone who's seen the team play, who knows more than a little about football, and is old enough to get served in a pub without fake ID. I won't come back on it because I think the subject has been done to death, but good to read someone talking sense on the subject.

Archived