IGNORED

Luke Ayling - Now Signed (See Page 10 Onwards!)

Shaftesburyred

Friend of mine lives in the same village as Ayling just outside Yeovil. He is one of the three "better" players who are leaving along with Webster and Stech. Apparently he has said he has three offers on the table, Ipswich, Rotherham and Bristol City. Played right back most of last season and would cost a fee because of his age.

we dont need a right back

You need depth to a squad. Currently we only have one out and out right back (Maloney) and it's questionable as to whether SC even rates him. Nevertheless, if he's not fit the next in line would Osbourne who's first and foremost a centre-back. We have the same problem on the left side with Cunningham being backed up by Williams shifting over out of his strongest position.

All in all we have 1 RB (Maloney), 1 LB (Cunningham) and 4 CB's (Flint, Osbourne, El-Abd, Williams).

6 senior defenders is not enough for the whole season. I believe we will sign at least one (if not 2) more defenders. The question is in which position? Do you sign a full-back to add depth there or sign another centre-half (thus releasing Osbourne and Williams to fill in as full backs when needed)?

From hearing cotterils latest interview it seems he likes a  3 - 5 -2. Osborne Williams and if we can sign nosworthy would be perfect for that. But as others have said we still need right back and left back cover, were not going to stick with the same formation all season.

From hearing cotterils latest interview it seems he likes a  3 - 5 -2. Osborne Williams and if we can sign nosworthy would be perfect for that. But as others have said we still need right back and left back cover, were not going to stick with the same formation all season.

If that's the way he sees us playing then a CB (like Nosworthy) is prob what he should sign to give us more depth at the heart of the defence.

Either way we need to sign another defender.

probably shouldnt have said we dont need a right back but it is not a priority. Osbourne can play there in a defensive side or waggy can cover if we play 3-5-2

I think a right back is a priority.

3-5-2 is not something I want to see long-term.  It did ok last year at times, but I don't really like it.

Moloney, for me, is not a top level League 1 full back, and it's clear SC doesn't rate him (one of the things me and SC actually agree on!!)

If we want to progress this season, we need to upgrade massively at right back.  Ayling would be an excellent choice.

Saw him a couple of times last season, was very consistent. Probably an hour away from Bristol so perhaps the location might work in our favour. Ex Arsenal so Brentford would be attractive.

There's a contradiction in there ;)

But yea, I'd be surprised if he signed for us - seems to be of a Championship quality.

I think a right back is a priority.

3-5-2 is not something I want to see long-term.  It did ok last year at times, but I don't really like it.

Moloney, for me, is not a top level League 1 full back, and it's clear SC doesn't rate him (one of the things me and SC actually agree on!!)

If we want to progress this season, we need to upgrade massively at right back.  Ayling would be an excellent choice.

Wigan were in the top flight for a decade playing mostly 3-5-2. If you have two high stamina players as wing backs and good discipline and organisation in the back three it can give you an extra man in attack.

The problem is that when JET is not on song it results in Sammy getting isolated and long ball ensues. The advantage of 3-5-2 is it allows us to play two strikers and JET. Unless JET can improve his consistency and fitness then we should play with a front three to compensate. 

I totally agree... I actually like the  3 5 2 we've played last season...it actually plays more like 3 1 2 2 1 1...it's quiet free flowing and like you say, doesn't lead to Sam getting isolated. 3 defenders, 1 holding player, 2 wing backs, 2 midfield, Roaming forward ( JET ) or a holding forward, and 1 striker. It's very versatile.

I think this is the reason SC has come out and said he wants to sign midfielders that can score as well...as we can't rely just on Sam and Jet for goals.

Definitely need two quality wing backs brought in, especially on the right as well.

why do people still feel you have to play one formation?

You don't and over the course of a season we will use many different formations to counter teams

Hell we'll change formations during game

If you stick with a rigid 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 for 46 games then you are never going to win anything long term you have to be adaptable and have to have players able to adapt,

I totally agree... I actually like the  3 5 2 we've played last season...it actually plays more like 3 1 2 2 1 1...it's quiet free flowing and like you say, doesn't lead to Sam getting isolated. 3 defenders, 1 holding player, 2 wing backs, 2 midfield, Roaming forward ( JET ) or a holding forward, and 1 striker. It's very versatile.

I think this is the reason SC has come out and said he wants to sign midfielders that can score as well...as we can't rely just on Sam and Jet for goals.

Definitely need two quality wing backs brought in, especially on the right as well.

Another striker I'd say is top priority. Baldock is our only striker (JET is sort of a striker I suppose but more midfielder for me)

why do people still feel you have to play one formation?

You don't and over the course of a season we will use many different formations to counter teams

Hell we'll change formations during game

If you stick with a rigid 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 for 46 games then you are never going to win anything long term you have to be adaptable and have to have players able to adapt,

People don't think that...that's you putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

However... Clubs set out to play to their strongest formation and tactics, depending on the strengths of the Clubs personel and how the manager wants to play...of course you adjust accordingly depending on the game...that's a given. :rolleyes:

Another striker I'd say is top priority. Baldock is our only striker (JET is sort of a striker I suppose but more midfielder for me)

I agree... JET is more like a roaming playmaker...

probably shouldnt have said we dont need a right back but it is not a priority. Osbourne can play there in a defensive side or waggy can cover if we play 3-5-2

I don't want players that can play in a position, I want players who DO play there. Far too often we've seen square pegs in round holes and wondered why things don't work!

Let's play right backs at right back please, not centre backs or midfielders who can "do a job"

I don't want players that can play in a position, I want players who DO play there. Far too often we've seen square pegs in round holes and wondered why things don't work!

Let's play right backs at right back please, not centre backs or midfielders who can "do a job"

Absolutely spot on. Let's play players in their proper positions please.

Archived