IGNORED

Started About Season Tickets - Now A Cotts Vs Sod Thread

Lew-T

No there weren't. That was the worst single football match I have seen at the Gate for years. Carlisle at home under Johnson before that. Fifty passes along the back four then lump it long to the 5'7" bloke up front and then scratch your head as their Centre Halves win everything. Total filth that was and I would have sacked him there and then if I had been Chairman..

You tripping?

There have been plenty of dire games dating back towards the end of Johnsons tenure right through to last season...

Cardiff, Doncaster, Leeds a few times, Wolves, Charlton, Birmingham, Leicester (twice) Millwall and the list goes on.

I don't dislike McInnes super but its his failure to strengthern the back which had been a problem for the previous 4 years is the reason I say he's one of the worst, he couldn't see the galring problems in the squad nether could SoD

SC is the first manager since Wilson who could see the weakness and addressed it almost right away,

Finbar is just a WUM by the tones of his post

Why is he a WUM, just because he has a differing opinion to yours??

By that logic, everyone who participates in forum discussion are WUMs as everyone has a differing opinions on different subjects, next they'll be accusations he is a Sag :facepalm:

One thing though how could he have identified the strengths and weaknesses right away? After the Sheffield United game we looked almost certain for the trapdoor... that was 3 months into his tenure, he sorted it eventually and fair play to him. I didn't think we played particularly well in the majority of games last under both SOD or SC.. in fact it was pretty mediocre all season.

Why is he a WUM, just because he has a differing opinion to yours??

By that logic, everyone who participates in forum discussion are WUMs as everyone has a differing opinions on different subjects, next they'll be accusations he is a Sag :facepalm:

One thing though how could he have identified the strengths and weaknesses right away? After the Sheffield United game we looked almost certain for the trapdoor... that was 3 months into his tenure, he sorted it eventually and fair play to him. I didn't think we played particularly well in the majority of games last under both SOD or SC.. in fact it was pretty mediocre all season.

I agree that there were poor performances under both managers last season, I believe the difference between the 2 was that SC tried to win games whereas SOD tried not to lose a game. The Sheff Utd home game was the worst for me.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26202099

Post-match: Bristol City's Cotterill

"Unfortunately, we were poor today. I don't know why that happened. We trained well this week but we didn't put anything into practice."Consequently, just before half-time we have given away a soft throw-in, given away a corner from it, not defended the corner and gone in 1-0 down at half-time

Notts County, Carlisle and Tranmere were pretty rotten under SC, Oldham, Brentford and Colchester were pretty rotten SOD.

We also played crap against Wallsall and Notts County and we won, for about 80% of last season we were crap, luckily though SC found a way of winning

I agree that there were poor performances under both managers last season, I believe the difference between the 2 was that SC tried to win games whereas SOD tried not to lose a game. The Sheff Utd home game was the worst for me.

And that was SOD's downfall by trying not to lose a game, SC was more positive in trying to get a result... I'm still under the belief that the players should shoulder most of the blame for last season though, Plenty will disagree but that was a squad fully capable of performing much better under both managers

I wouldnt say SOD was the worst manager we ever had. His win rate was shocking and he had us at the bottom of League 1 which practically and in essence is awful for us. However, in my eyes he was the best philosopher the club has ever had and one of the most intelligent managers out there, he was at the club at the wrong time and could not stop the downward spiral by changing us into a team of youngsters trying to play pretty football, that simply only works with a team or a club on the up.

He was rightly sacked as he wasnt doing the job and we would have eventually gone down under him, people say we lost 2 in 8 but the Sheffield Utd game was terrible vs bad we were going nowhere fast.

Cottss came in and everyone had their knives out and he galvanised the entire club, the feelgood factor was back and added that he is positive. Have to say Cotts suits the club a hell of a lot more than SOD and he is a fighter whereas SOD is not.

Both are incomparable as they have completely different styles of management. Cotts was the right man at the time but SOD wasnt, SOD would have been the right man 4/5 years ago

I wouldnt say SOD was the worst manager we ever had. His win rate was shocking and he had us at the bottom of League 1 which practically and in essence is awful for us. However, in my eyes he was the best philosopher the club has ever had and one of the most intelligent managers out there, he was at the club at the wrong time and could not stop the downward spiral by changing us into a team of youngsters trying to play pretty football, that simply only works with a team or a club on the up.

He was rightly sacked as he wasnt doing the job and we would have eventually gone down under him, people say we lost 2 in 8 but the Sheffield Utd game was terrible vs bad we were going nowhere fast.

Cottss came in and everyone had their knives out and he galvanised the entire club, the feelgood factor was back and added that he is positive. Have to say Cotts suits the club a hell of a lot more than SOD and he is a fighter whereas SOD is not.

Both are incomparable as they have completely different styles of management. Cotts was the right man at the time but SOD wasnt, SOD would have been the right man 4/5 years ago

Which says a lot about this club... If SL and the board keep rambling on about a stable, successful club they need a blend of both styles, on and off the pitch.

And there in lies the problem.

Too many managers...too many players...to many ways of playing football...each new manager trying to create his own style and own team...it's always short term.

Each manager we've had since GJ has done well in parts... It makes me laugh how managers get slagged off on here.

I remember people saying how good McCinnes was and he was going to end up at Aston Villa.

People jumping for joy when Coppell was signed up.

People being very happy when SoD was chosen.

I hope SC gets us promotion... I hope we kick on and learn from our mistakes.

But if history does repeat itself...then the law of averages with our Club in recent years say's that SC will get sacked before his contract is up.

It will be interesting to see what people say if we end up mid table again next season and have shown no improvement.

Will it be SC's fault? Personally... I won't be blaming him if that happens.

What difference does the day make?

A big one. They probably trained for 1-2 days between SC'S arrival and the Rotherham game.. That's a short time to try and bring across your thoughts and ideas to a team that's got failure embedded into them thanks to the old manager

A big one. They probably trained for 1-2 days between SC'S arrival and the Rotherham game.. That's a short time to try and bring across your thoughts and ideas to a team that's got failure embedded into them thanks to the old manager

Come on they are professional footballers surly they can not be this dim.

A big one. They probably trained for 1-2 days between SC'S arrival and the Rotherham game.. That's a short time to try and bring across your thoughts and ideas to a team that's got failure embedded into them thanks to the old manager

Can you not see that SoD was under a directive from the board and SL to try and change things drastically from what we have done before?

You can't blame SoD for doing what he was asked.

Like someone else has eluded to...trying to do it with a team spiralling, and with players still on long contracts, it was a thankless task.

He said from day one, that if it were to work, it would take a long time to change, to what they the board and owner want.

He said he would put things in place for the next manager to take on...he knew his job would be gone...he knew it was a thankless task...he was honest from day one.

Sc was brought in with an immediate directive to stave off relegation. He achieved that, mainly with the good use of experienced loans.

As for what directive and which way we are going now... I haven't got the foggiest.

From what I read into SC's latest quotes...he's going to do it his way and bring in who he wants...and that they the board will 'get used to it'.

For me...if that is the case...we haven't moved on.

If not...then great. Lets see who he brings in and how we do this season.

My guess is, it will be the same old City...nothing new.

Can you not see that SoD was under a directive from the board and SL to try and change things drastically from what we have done before?

You can't blame SoD for doing what he was asked.

Like someone else has eluded to...trying to do it with a team spiralling, and with players still on long contracts, it was a thankless task.

He said from day one, that if it were to work, it would take a long time to change, to what they the board and owner want.

He said he would put things in place for the next manager to take on...he knew his job would be gone...he knew it was a thankless task...he was honest from day one.

Sc was brought in with an immediate directive to stave off relegation. He achieved that, mainly with the good use of experienced loans.

As for what directive and which way we are going now... I haven't got the foggiest.

From what I read into SC's latest quotes...he's going to do it his way and bring in who he wants...and that they the board will 'get used to it'.

For me...if that is the case...we haven't moved on.

If not...then great. Lets see who he brings in and how we do this season.

My guess is, it will be the same old City...nothing new.

Do you remember that the 40 mill got written off and Cotterell come out saying that only 40-50 of the budget was being used?

My humble opinion, for what its worth, is that in the short term SC has done a better job results wise that SOD managed, although SOD was faced with the task of cutting our budget dramatically. Honestly I was slightly underwhelmed when SC was appointed but I was happy to give him time, however i personally believe that if SOD wasn't sacked then we would have still stayed up, it just wouldn't have been as comfortable.

And for all the mistakes SOD made, we had our best run in the cup for quite a while, and he also signed the core of the squad that SC used to keep us up, we were just missing a few experienced players, which is something SC addressed quite quickly.

Archived