IGNORED

Bristol sport / shirts / Brand theft (Merged)

RedZepperin

The Bristol Sports Stadium, Ashton Gate ??

Perfect. The marketing people would call it "The Bristol Sports Stadium" and everyone else would call it "Ashton Gate."

Let's hope it will never be called this. The gas lot will be calling it the bulls**t stadium at trashton gate.

Let's hope it will never be called this. The gas lot will be calling it the bulls**t stadium at trashton gate.

..... and so would be substituting "Brisol Sport" with "Bulls**t" thus disassociating themselves with both Bristol and sport? Mission accomplished.

• Admin

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Where is the economic benefit in devaluing your 'brands' when your 'brands' are essentially the only value you have? I could understand if AG was renamed the 'WeBuyAnyCar.Com Arena' but Bristol Sports in itself has no value. I can see the benefit in combining back office and commercial work between the different clubs and I can see the benefit in having a shares coach, but after that where is the 'product'? What would be the gain the Steve Lansdown or anyone else from BCFC becoming BSFC? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I just want one of the business geniuses on here to explain it to me

Agree with your sentiments, but if there is nothing to gain, why is their logo so large on the first team shirts etc?

Is there a need to advertise it?

Throw this out there to someone else to explain

Hang on, have I missed something here.

We still play at Ashton Gate, we are still called Bristol City, we haven't changed our badge, we still play in red but we have welcomed Bristol Rugby to play on our pitch and have a new kit.

Holy shit, pass me the pitch fork, the natives are restless.

Assume that is a typo and you meant naivety, but one thing for sure if it was a foreign owner putting all these changes in place (taking the club away pre season to make business benefit) there would have been a different vibe around the place. Imagine if Vincent Tan was doing all this across at Cardiff, I'm sure that we would have been poking fun at them by now

I would assume that is why there is such a split on this topic, some are happy to let Steve Lansdown make these changes, but others are more sceptical.

Only in time will we see who was right and wrong

how the **** is that any different then us going to portugal, spain sweden and latvia all places we went away recently pre-season,

The team are training at one of the best training facilites for a week (the one used by england) and then going to have two friendlys, if it wasn't botswana it would of been somewhere else in europe but people wouldn't be having a hissy fit about it

Agree with your sentiments, but if there is nothing to gain, why is their logo so large on the first team shirts etc?

because they are making the shirts, how is it any different then adidas puma and TFG all being on previous shirts?

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Where is the economic benefit in devaluing your 'brands' when your 'brands' are essentially the only value you have? I could understand if AG was renamed the 'WeBuyAnyCar.Com Arena' but Bristol Sports in itself has no value. I can see the benefit in combining back office and commercial work between the different clubs and I can see the benefit in having a shares coach, but after that where is the 'product'? What would be the gain the Steve Lansdown or anyone else from BCFC becoming BSFC? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I just want one of the business geniuses on here to explain it to me

Yes ... The business geniuses are thse BS suits.

I make no predictions, or claims but others are that it is all good. Nobody has explained what all and good is from the BS or BCFC top table.

One , two ... Five years later, I /you /we may be up that little steep hill in BS3 looking down at something I /you /we really feel uneasy about.

Less not leap into bed with the lube, without pulling back the sheets to inspect the beast in the dark first.

There is plenty to gain. We want people (companies) to associate Bristol Sport with their teams (City, the rugby, academy, that racing bloke) and they will know that this is a good opportunity for sponsorship etc... 

If they see Bristol Sport linked to City and the rugby its a better deal than trying to deal with it's individual parts.

Its a case of Bristol Sport linking themselves to the (successful) brands of city and rugby. It wouldn't make sense to destroy these brands, no one will be paying to sponsor Bristol Sport, they will be paying Bristol Sport to sponsor the Teams that Bristol Sport owns.

Of course I'd rather that we had a System similar to Galatasaray where each team involved is "Bristol City" Bristol City FC, Bristol City Ladies, Bristol City Basketball... etc where we could all support (by association) both the brand and the teams... 

But the fact that the Ladies team and the basketball team haven't been branded "Bristol Sport ___" (And I can't see either of them kicking up a fuss over any rebrand) Suggests to me there is no plan for this now or in the future, I won't be losing sleep over it anyway.

Hang on, have I missed something here.

We still play at Ashton Gate, we are still called Bristol City, we haven't changed our badge, we still play in red but we have welcomed Bristol Rugby to play on our pitch and have a new kit.

Holy shit, pass me the pitch fork, the natives are restless.

some people get bored in the summer and their imaginations run wild and worry about what might happen?

Of course I'd rather that we had a System similar to Galatasaray where each team involved is "Bristol City" Bristol City FC, Bristol City Ladies, Bristol City Basketball... etc where we could all support (by association) both the brand and the teams... 

How difficult would it have been to rebrand to Bristol City Ladies and Bristol City Flyers and to have kept Bristol Rugby?

Why was this option rejected?

If Lansdown (or anyone else) ever changes the club name or the club colours then I will be up in arms & campaign against it & if it came in I'd likely walk away from the club I have supported for 29 years.

If (or when) Ashton Gate follows other clubs & is branded with a sponser I will undoubtedly be disappointed but will understand the need for it (after all, AV would have be known by a sponsers name from the start) & unlike a new stadium football fans would refer to it as Ashton Gate.

The shop being rebranded is inevitable as Bristol will be using it. We don't have room for two shops on site & once the Williams is rebuilt with a larger store it's gonna be tightly packed with both clubs merchandise. I'd rather it was just our gear as I've little interest in rugby but I don't see the problem.

The BS bus seems like good Finacial sense to me & bothers me even less.

As for those annoyed by the kit manufacter daring to have their logo on the shirt? You really need to get out more.

I don't for a second see Bristol City FC being renamed to anything to do with the Bristol Sport brand, but what I can quite easily imagine happening is the Bristol Sport logo becoming more and more omnipresent around Ashton Gate, and a higher prevalence of slogans such as "Ashton Gate - The Home Of Bristol Sport" for example.

The branding has been gaining a foothold for a couple of years now, starting very small but slowly gaining momentum to the position now where it's becoming fairly obvious to most people.

I don't have too much of a problem with any of this. It may over time come to be a well known brand representing all sport within the Bristol area worth worrying about, and it's a comforting thought to know that NLBR1653 will never be a part of that. It would also mean that the vast majority of any funding or required council support may well go behind Bristol Sport teams and projects above other things around the city.

The only part that does worry me would be if Bristol City Football Club began to have it's identity diluted with the Bristol Sport brand somehow. To this end I still believe space within the rebuilt ground for a Bristol City museum would be a good start. I would also like to see the traditional Bristol City names for the stands around the ground being retained as this is an important part of the clubs culture and heritage. The colour of the kit and Football Club name are, of course, sacrosanct.

Thankfully, these are things that can be helped by right minded fans, hopefully led by the Supporters Trust. We need to ensure that the soul of the club is not sold out for the sake of chasing modern football success, whilst embracing the parts of Bristol Sport that do help whilst not threatening the club as a separate entity. We can not, and must not, roll over and have our tummies tickled the way that Cardiff did. I don't believe we will.

No doubt there will come a time in the future when the Bristol Sport branding takes a step too far. It is at this point that the fans of Bristol City will need to band together and make sure their displeasure is fully voiced. It may even be worth someone like the Supporters Trust defining what a step too far may be, and making it plain that we would not tolerate anything beyond that before it happens.

How difficult would it have been to rebrand to Bristol City Ladies and Bristol City Flyers and to have kept Bristol Rugby?

I wouldn't imagine it would have been difficult, but I don't think it was even considered. so not rejected just not an option I assume.

The Galatasaray example is different because I believe they are linked to a univeristy first and foremost, not a company.

Don't you think "Ashton Gate Megastore" would have been a better name than "Bristol Sport Megastore"?

A pretty bloody obvious idea. Again, why was it rejected?

No I don't.  Bristol Sport Megastore tells what exactly is inside, or should do.  I assume it will be the place where you get all your Bristol City, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Ladies, that racing driver, basketball and all the rest of the umbrella'd sports souvenirs and mementoes.

Opportunities for cross selling and increased awareness of the other teams.

No I don't. Bristol Sport Megastore tells what exactly is inside, or should do. I assume it will be the place where you get all your Bristol City, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Ladies, that racing driver, basketball and all the rest of the umbrella'd sports souvenirs and mementoes.

Opportunities for cross selling and increased awareness of the other teams.

Opportunities for cross selling and increased awareness of the other teams do not require a name change and re-branding, or put it this way they have not at other football club stadiums that accommodate rugby.

We are just copying Man City in the way they have got around FFP rules by getting sponsorship effectively from their owners. If we get promoted to the Championship there is no way we can compete with the bigger clubs based on match-day income without falling fould of the FFP rules. The way SL has set this up we can get almost unlimited income through sponsorship from Bristol Sport so it solves the old problem of how to make ends meet financially which we've had for a long time now. It all makes perfect sense and supporters shouldn't be worried abour it, we'll be overtaking a lot of clubs in four or five years time tthat have traditionally been 'bigger' tha us (eg Blackpool, Leeds).

Going back to Milo's marketing conundrum, one of the things I would ask myself is whether this idea of looking for one sponsor for several or all of your teams is the most viable or lucrative option.

FC Barcelona are no novices in this marketing game and their football team, basketball team and futsal team (probably the handball team too) -which are the main teams under their "umbrella"- are all sponsored by different companies.

Whether to leverage your brand or build a new one: Atletico Madrid - whenever they've bought out a team (a handball team and a rugby team in recent years), there's been no farting around with new brands. Straight in there. Atletico de Madrid Rugby, etc.

How cool would it be to be able to stroll into Ashton Gate Megastore and buy yourself a Bristol City football shirt, a Bristol City basketball shirt (hairy armpit-related complications here) and a Bristol City Ladies something or other.

So, you seem fine with the idea of other clubs having to change their name but have a hissy fit about any possibility of any change that may involve BCFC

Don't you think "Ashton Gate Megastore" would have been a better name than "Bristol Sport Megastore"?

A pretty bloody obvious idea. Again, why was it rejected?

I presume you have been in attendance at BSL board meetings to be able to confirm that a) these ideas were even floated and b) they were subsequently rejected?

No?......thought not.

So, you seem fine with the idea of other clubs having to change their name but have a hissy fit about any possibility of any change that may involve BCFC

I presume you have been in attendance at BSL board meetings to be able to confirm that a) these ideas were even floated and b) they were subsequently rejected?

No?......thought not.

Hissy fit? Oh dear. When a team has a minimal brand value / number of supporters, you change the name. This is not the case for, say, Bristol Rugby.

Yes. You're right, I haven't been attending Board meetings. What's your point? Does it invalidate the arguments I'm putting forward?

Hissy fit? Oh dear. When a team has a minimal brand value / number of supporters, you change the name. This is not the case for, say, Bristol Rugby.

Yes. You're right, I haven't been attending Board meetings. What's your point? Does it invalidate the arguments I'm putting forward?

I'm glad this board wasn't around when they changed marathon to snickers or opal fruits to starburst it would of blew the server room.......

I'm glad this board wasn't around when they changed marathon to snickers or opal fruits to starburst it would of blew the server room.......

Excellent examples, Monkeh. Both Marathon and Opal Fruits were phased out, to be replaced by the dominant brands (in the world marketplace), Snickers and Starburst.

Which is like Bristol Academy and Bristol Flyers having their names changed to Bristol City.

Keep it simple, no new brands, leverage your strongest ones. Onwards and upwards.

Yes quite cleary when you keep on stating as fact that BSL have rejected certain proposals when you have no idea whether they were even on the table

rebranding other clubs..............."Why was this option rejected?"

naming the shop 'Ashton Gate Megastore' .............."A pretty bloody obvious idea. Again, why was it rejected?"

Now if you would have started your sentence with "I wonder if BSL have considered......" people might take your points more seriously

Archived