IGNORED

Bristol sport / shirts / Brand theft (Merged)

RedZepperin

This really is pretty pathetic. It's a bus - which has Bristol City's logo on it - and a 'megastore' - which has Bristol City's logo all over it. Neither Peter Carol nor the Bristol City megastore are richly intertwined in the club's history, nor is BCFC about to be rebranded.

Christ, we kicked up enough of a fuss when villagers didn't want a stadium in their back yard, but can't deal with the prospect of a Bristol Sport bus. All of a sudden they seem reasonable folk in comparison.

I agree ... rather than a bus .... perhaps we could have a horse & cart?    Is Ernie still around?

This really is pretty pathetic. It's a bus - which has Bristol City's logo on it - and a 'megastore' - which has Bristol City's logo all over it. Neither Peter Carol nor the Bristol City megastore are richly intertwined in the club's history, nor is BCFC about to be rebranded.

Christ, we kicked up enough of a fuss when villagers didn't want a stadium in their back yard, but can't deal with the prospect of a Bristol Sport bus. All of a sudden they seem reasonable folk in comparison.

That's fine & valued opinion..

But if you have bothered to read more detailed posts, the wider picture is being 'professionally' dealt with by the ST.

Not only about 'a bus' 'a shop' ..... These were key pointers into what has developed into 'thought provoking' discussions..

As previously detailed a few posters seem to 'diss' the bigger picture and don't seem to care if BS will have any influence on the history/heritage of our great club.

If it is 'all for the good' - then great.. But really surprised that so many supporters don't really care.........

But if you have bothered to read more detailed posts, the wider picture is being 'professionally' dealt with by the ST.

Not only about 'a bus' 'a shop' ..... These were key pointers into what has developed into 'thought provoking' discussions..

As previously detailed a few posters seem to 'diss' the bigger picture and don't seem to care if BS will have any influence on the history/heritage of our great club.

If it is 'all for the good' - then great.. But really surprised that so many supporters don't really care.........

Not sure the many supporters dont really care .... after all they are on OTIB .... but they maybe do not agree?

Great to know that the Supporters Club & Trust, and David Lloyd are on the case. A few final thoughts on this:

1. If the club decided tomorrow, or whenever, to phase out "Bristol Sport" and just brand everything, except Bristol Rugby, "Bristol City" i.e. Bristol City Ladies, Bristol City Flyers, would they be happier or less happy with that situation? We could always incorporate the Community Trust logo onto the shirts if we feel underweight logo-wise. BSL would of course continue as a backroom company, but need not be branded in such an artificial manner (to avoid brand dillution/cannibalisation).

2. At some point in time, somebody, maybe a future owner, is going to want to streamline all these brands. It's only a matter of time. Would you prefer:

a) Bristol Sport Rugby, Bristol Sport Vixens, Bristol Sport Flyers and Bristol Sport Robins; or

b) Bristol City, Bristol Rugby, Bristol City Ladies and Bristol City Flyers.

[Jon Lansdown says he'll never change the name but what happens if his family sells up?]

3. Current business management is about taking lots of decisions. Inevitably, you're going to take some that will need improving later on. We've seen this happen with previous marketing issues and, of course, the ticketing, er, is it all right to call it a fiasco...? I believe that part of the role of this forum is to flag up these areas that need improving and discuss them. Others then take ideas to the decision makers and see if things can be changed/improved. I have no idea why a) some forum members pretend that all the decisions taken by the club have been and always will be correct; or b) they label people who come forward with ideas for improvement as "conspiracy theorists".

Up the Sport. Sorry, City.

Well Bristol Sport makes it very difficult to change the whole brand because, the clubs are all owned seperatly to Bristol Sport.

If lansdown sells all clubs, he'll likely not sell Bristol Sport, as this doesn't make any money anyway, therefor making all the clubs in Bristol still under his branding control.

If he sells Bristol Sport then all the seperate clubs are likely to be owned by either lansdown or all by different people.

However if he did sell Bristol Sport, and all the sporting clubs in Bristol to the same buyer. Not only would it be stupidly expensive, but would mean that the Buyer doesn't have all control over the teams, as there are other backers for the individual clubs.

It should be known that Bristol Sport does not 'own' all the clubs, but umbrellas them all and distributes the money earned in a necessary way.

Therefore Bristol Sport doesn't make any money just umbrellas all incomes

I have signed up..

http://www.whenthemoonshines.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1707

This topic may interest you. It is about how using the example of another clubs openness could help to affect the FC/BS here in a positive manner, and thus see an improvement in communication, in supporter engagement and perhaps identify commercial opportunities in a small way.

http://www.whenthemoonshines.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1707

This topic may interest you. It is about how using the example of another clubs openness could help to affect the FC/BS here in a positive manner, and thus see an improvement in communication, in supporter engagement and perhaps identify commercial opportunities in a small way.

Very interesting read..

It would be interesting to see if the ST can convince someone at the club to take ownership of a Crystal Palace type fan module.

But I fear this would never happen, as the club like the 'softly softly' approach & feel that the Fans Forum is as good as it gets...

If you care to have a look round the football league, you'll see plenty where random Q;A sessions, if that, are the best it gets. Let's not play the neglected card.

Looking around the leagues is what has been done.

Crystal Palace are an example of a form of best practice. Palace fans can ask quetions of their club and get answer in hours. An enquiry regarding communication at CPFC was made by a Bristol City fan, a club director replied in person on a sunday night!

Bristol City fans can pass on questions to the Supporters Club Trust, or Fan Liason regarding the FC and not get an answer to a question in months. Acknowledgement yes, answer no.

Questions have been asked about BS.

The Fans Parliament by its very nature only hold meetings every few months = A Limititation.

Bristol City fans have not had the opportunity to put forward questions regarding BS at a Q&A.

Bristol City DO portray themsleves as a "listening" club and a "Bristol City family". This thread highlights clearly an area where BCFC can improve i.e. communication. Communication should be linked to the clubs pillars.

Anybody want to answer the question about PULA?

• Admin

Looking around the leagues is what has been done.

Crystal Palace are an example of a form of best practice. Palace fans can ask quetions of their club and get answer in hours. An enquiry regarding communication at CPFC was made by a Bristol City fan, a club director replied in person on a sunday night!

Bristol City fans can pass on questions to the Supporters Club Trust, or Fan Liason regarding the FC and not get an answer to a question in months. Acknowledgement yes, answer no.

Questions have been asked about BS.

The Fans Parliament by its very nature only hold meetings every few months = A Limititation.

Bristol City fans have not had the opportunity to put forward questions regarding BS at a Q&A.

Bristol City DO portray themsleves as a "listening" club and a "Bristol City family". This thread highlights clearly an area where BCFC can improve i.e. communication. Communication should be linked to the clubs pillars.

Anybody want to answer the question about PULA?

It's limited in its size of replies but the question I put to Jon Lansdown on Twitter was answered within 10 mins. Try asking him about the above?

Simply not true.

Questions were asked about Bristol Sport at the last Q&A and Steve Lansdown spoke about how he saw the potential of the unified approach leading to increased commercial revenues. He spoke of how signing a multi-sport sponsor could be beneficial.

Don't forget that the RSG sponsorship of Bristol City was jointly announced as sponsorship of Bristol Flyers.

It's limited in its size of replies but the question I put to Jon Lansdown on Twitter was answered within 10 mins. Try asking him about the above?

The idea of far more open means of communication in the manner of "questions to CPFC201" has been answered this evening via the Supporters Club and Trust.

To quote " The idea of an open forum was not openly welcomed".

Simply not true.

Questions were asked about Bristol Sport at the last Q&A and Steve Lansdown spoke about how he saw the potential of the unified approach leading to increased commercial revenues. He spoke of how signing a multi-sport sponsor could be beneficial.

Don't forget that the RSG sponsorship of Bristol City was jointly announced as sponsorship of Bristol Flyers.

The post earlier should have been more specific. Andrew Billingham (Bristol Sport) was not in his role at that point, but as of an hour ago, the Supporter Club and Trust will be meeting Mr Billigham on the 31st July.

There is no wider picture to any influence on BCFC beyond the conspiracy theories in this thread. It's that simple.

Erm. People outside BCFC might fall for that one but I don't think anyone on here will. To be honest, if the Advertising Standards Authority take a look at the BS website and read: "RSG has recognized the power of the Bristol Sport family by sponsoring multiple clubs", we might have to duck. It's stretching it a bit, both from the "related party" angle and from the laughable notion that, if you sponsor BCFC, you also get the Bristol Flyers. (Not that the secon part of this would trouble any regulator of course, bullshitting in itself is not illegal.)

Steve Lansdown spoke about how he saw the potential of the unified approach leading to increased commercial revenues. He spoke of how signing a multi-sport sponsor could be beneficial.

Sure. Everyone agrees that a unified approach is needed for a lot of back-office tasks and corporate business (althought a multi-sport sponsor is not necessarily better than several single sport sponsors). But neither then nor any time after have the fans been briefed about the BS brand standing alongside/replacing/ diluting/dwarfing on buses...the BCFC brand. In fact, none of us expected a BS brand at all. Why would we?

Erm. People outside BCFC might fall for that one but I don't think anyone on here will. To be honest, if the Advertising Standards Authority take a look at the BS website and read: "RSG has recognized the power of the Bristol Sport family by sponsoring multiple clubs", we might have to duck. It's stretching it a bit, both from the "related party" angle and from the laughable notion that, if you sponsor BCFC, you also get the Bristol Flyers. (Not that the secon part of this would trouble any regulator of course, bullshitting in itself is not illegal.)

Sure. Everyone agrees that a unified approach is needed for a lot of back-office tasks and corporate business (althought a multi-sport sponsor is not necessarily better than several single sport sponsors). But neither then nor any time after have the fans been briefed about the BS brand standing alongside/replacing/ diluting/dwarfing on buses...the BCFC brand. In fact, none of us expected a BS brand at all. Why would we?

I thought people were against the BCFC "brand" as its whats wrong with modern football,

Can you explain how the brand has been diluted? as I'm not buying a bristol sport season ticket I'm buying a Bristol City one, my son isn't getting a bristol sport shirt he's getting a bristol city one,

the players don't play for bristol sport they are playing for bristol city, the scores won't be reported as Bristol Sport 0-1 Sheffield united  it will be reported as Bristol City 0-1 Shefield united,

What does this Bristol Sport Brand you go on about what does it sell? are their Bristol Sport Trainers? are ther Bristol Sport footballs? or is it simply providing a kit made in this country which is unique to the clubs of Bristol using it?

Why didn't you post this sort of stuf last season and the season before that where Adidas was plastered everywhere? where wasn't TFG or Puma diluting the BCFC brand?

Really PSR...

Why would any fan want to dream up something like this in their heads..

I for one as a fan of nearly 50 years, will always show concern for anything that shows confusion regarding the 'history/heritage' of our club.

I really do hope you understand this & embrace the concern rather than diss other posters..

As per this from RZ...

I believe that part of the role of this forum is to flag up these areas that need improving and discuss them. Others then take ideas to the decision makers and see if things can be changed/improved. I have no idea why a) some forum members pretend that all the decisions taken by the club have been and always will be correct; or b) they label people who come forward with ideas for improvement as "conspiracy theorists"

But people are creating scenarios with little or no evidence, a couple of logos and a megastore? As I said earlier in this thread, this would have happened at a new ground because we are being put under one umbrella with the other sports within the Bristol Sport portfolio. I see no difference to this than any company that has disparate brands, you don't go into USC or Lilywhites and think about the fact they are owned by Sports Direct even though there is a plaque somewhere in the stores stating this., They are still seen as a separate entity within that company and I am sure we will too.

I thought people were against the BCFC "brand" as its whats wrong with modern football,

Can you explain how the brand has been diluted? as I'm not buying a bristol sport season ticket I'm buying a Bristol City one, my son isn't getting a bristol sport shirt he's getting a bristol city one,

the players don't play for bristol sport they are playing for bristol city, the scores won't be reported as Bristol Sport 0-1 Sheffield united  it will be reported as Bristol City 0-1 Shefield united,

What does this Bristol Sport Brand you go on about what does it sell? are their Bristol Sport Trainers? are ther Bristol Sport footballs? or is it simply providing a kit made in this country which is unique to the clubs of Bristol using it?

Why didn't you post this sort of stuf last season and the season before that where Adidas was plastered everywhere? where wasn't TFG or Puma diluting the BCFC brand?

Either you don't understand what's going on or you're on a wind-up. I'll be busy most of the day, so I'll leave this to someone else if that's OK with you.

Like many others clearly doesn't understand!!

i don't  thats why i need it explaining like many others we don't see what the problem, and you've not explained in depth what you preceve the problem is which is why many are jumping to conclusions,

Pula is named after the currency of Botswana.

SL has confirmed in his interview today on YouTube that the name Bristol City will not be changing (obviously) and neither will Ashton Gate unless a company comes along with a load of money to sponsor it but SL "can't see that happening".

Also the idea of a new bus was actually SCs. I guess the opportunity presented itself and BS were chosen to sponsor it.

SL also gives a different interpretation of where BS sits amongst all the various companies. SL says BS sits between him and Bristol City, Bristol Rugby etc NOT alongside them as Milo was told. I must admit that was always my understanding of it:

Pula

BS

City, egg-chasers, basketball etc

Archived