IGNORED

Bristol sport / shirts / Brand theft (Merged)

RedZepperin

Going back to Milo's marketing conundrum, one of the things I would ask myself is whether this idea of looking for one sponsor for several or all of your teams is the most viable or lucrative option.

FC Barcelona are no novices in this marketing game and their football team, basketball team and futsal team (probably the handball team too) -which are the main teams under their "umbrella"- are all sponsored by different companies.

Whether to leverage your brand or build a new one: Atletico Madrid - whenever they've bought out a team (a handball team and a rugby team in recent years), there's been no farting around with new brands. Straight in there. Atletico de Madrid Rugby, etc.

How cool would it be to be able to stroll into Ashton Gate Megastore and buy yourself a Bristol City football shirt, a Bristol City basketball shirt (hairy armpit-related complications here) and a Bristol City Ladies something or other.

But we're sponsored by RSG, not Bristol Sport. I suspect though, that all of the affiliate teams under the Barca umbrella share commercial and back room facilities, while you can acquire merchandise from all the teams in a shared retail facility. It's not a great analogy though; Barcelona's basketball team probably generates far greater revenue than we do already. If we were setting up new teams I'm sure they'd already have the 'City' tag, but SL is just financing other teams through one organisation. Perhaps one day they'll all be City

No doubt there will come a time in the future when the Bristol Sport branding takes a step too far. It is at this point that the fans of Bristol City will need to band together and make sure their displeasure is fully voiced. It may even be worth someone like the Supporters Trust defining what a step too far may be, and making it plain that we would not tolerate anything beyond that before it happens.

Excellent post Squire.

A possible scene.

Thousands of fans enter a football ground.

Behind a goal there is a building site.

That building site is hidden by a vinyl sign sixty yards wide stating "BRISTOL SPORT SOUTH STAND DEVELOPMENT."

Around the ground there is further "BRISTOL SPORT MAKING BRISTOL PROUD!"

Do you suck it up and savour the progress

Or

Get vexed as the Martians have landed ...

people might take your points more seriously

If it's OK with you, RedRaw, I'll continue to ignore any personal attacks or criticism of my debating skills. (And that's my last on the word subject.) I think this issue warrants a bit more serious attention. Why not counter my arguments rather than criticise how they've been worded?

I'm glad this board wasn't around when they changed marathon to snickers or opal fruits to starburst it would of blew the server room.......

What I find strange that such a topic can be treated with such disregard..

Could well be that certain sections don't really care what happens or they are ITK when it comes to the 'branding strategy'.

And it seems that it's the same fans that crucify other teams when various changes are made to branding.

We have many interesting changes happening within & around our Football club.

Revamped stadium.. Rugby club..

Bristol Sport are having a BIG influence on everything Bristol City........

I think it would just be right that the club identified the vision for the club under the new BS remit....

I don't for a second see Bristol City FC being renamed to anything to do with the Bristol Sport brand, but what I can quite easily imagine happening is the Bristol Sport logo becoming more and more omnipresent around Ashton Gate, and a higher prevalence of slogans such as "Ashton Gate - The Home Of Bristol Sport" for example.

The branding has been gaining a foothold for a couple of years now, starting very small but slowly gaining momentum to the position now where it's becoming fairly obvious to most people.

I don't have too much of a problem with any of this. It may over time come to be a well known brand representing all sport within the Bristol area worth worrying about, and it's a comforting thought to know that NLBR1653 will never be a part of that. It would also mean that the vast majority of any funding or required council support may well go behind Bristol Sport teams and projects above other things around the city.

The only part that does worry me would be if Bristol City Football Club began to have it's identity diluted with the Bristol Sport brand somehow. To this end I still believe space within the rebuilt ground for a Bristol City museum would be a good start. I would also like to see the traditional Bristol City names for the stands around the ground being retained as this is an important part of the clubs culture and heritage. The colour of the kit and Football Club name are, of course, sacrosanct.

Thankfully, these are things that can be helped by right minded fans, hopefully led by the Supporters Trust. We need to ensure that the soul of the club is not sold out for the sake of chasing modern football success, whilst embracing the parts of Bristol Sport that do help whilst not threatening the club as a separate entity. We can not, and must not, roll over and have our tummies tickled the way that Cardiff did. I don't believe we will.

No doubt there will come a time in the future when the Bristol Sport branding takes a step too far. It is at this point that the fans of Bristol City will need to band together and make sure their displeasure is fully voiced. It may even be worth someone like the Supporters Trust defining what a step too far may be, and making it plain that we would not tolerate anything beyond that before it happens.

Excellent post Squire.

A possible scene.

Thousands of fans enter a football ground.

Behind a goal there is a building site.

That building site is hidden by a vinyl sign sixty yards wide stating "BRISTOL SPORT SOUTH STAND DEVELOPMENT."

Around the ground there is further "BRISTOL SPORT MAKING BRISTOL PROUD!"

Do you suck it up and savour the progress

Or

Get vexed as the Martians have landed ...

Excellent posts..

I agree that the Supporters Trust should be asking these questions now..

What I find strange that such a topic can be treated with such disregard..

Could well be that certain sections don't really care what happens or they are ITK when it comes to the 'branding strategy'.

And it seems that it's the same fans that crucify other teams when various changes are made to branding.

We have many interesting changes happening within & around our Football club.

Revamped stadium.. Rugby club..

Bristol Sport are having a BIG influence on everything Bristol City........

I think it would just be right that the club identified the vision for the club under the new BS remit....

I have enough trust in the owner not to do anything stupid with the club 

Excellent posts..

I agree that the Supporters Trust should be asking these questions now..

If you are interested there are topics on WTMS about BS and points related going back months. To be fair to the Supporters Club and Trust their Chairman has replied, and attempted to set up a meeting with BS. From the outside it looks like BS have been sending the Supporters Club and Trust round the buildings.

• Admin

I asked Jon Lansdown straight out on Twitter if he would allow Bristol City's name to be changed whilst he is at the club.

@JonLansdown would you ever allow BCFC's name to be changed to something centred around the Bristol Sport brand whilst you are at the club?

@madger76 no, Bristol Sport is all about inspiring sport and participation in Bristol and to drive the Commercials and Brands of the.....

@madger76 .....individual clubs it sits alongside.

If you are interested there are topics on WTMS about BS and points related going back months. To be fair to the Supporters Club and Trust their Chairman has replied, and attempted to set up a meeting with BS. From the outside it looks like BS have been sending the Supporters Club and Trust round the buildings.

Interesting..

I have signed up..

I asked Jon Lansdown straight out on Twitter if he would allow Bristol City's name to be changed whilst he is at the club.

@JonLansdown would you ever allow BCFC's name to be changed to something centred around the Bristol Sport brand whilst you are at the club?

@madger76 no, Bristol Sport is all about inspiring sport and participation in Bristol and to drive the Commercials and Brands of the.....

@madger76 .....individual clubs it sits alongside.

Well that's not unexpected..

And I am sure the club name change is not even on the agenda..

It's more to do with how BS will be introduced to inspire sport within BS3..

If it's OK with you, RedRaw, I'll continue to ignore any personal attacks or criticism of my debating skills. (And that's my last on the word subject.) I think this issue warrants a bit more serious attention. Why not counter my arguments rather than criticise how they've been worded?

Personal attacks? Please feel free to quote where I've personally attacked you.

If you care to read back through this thread, I and others have been debating your arguments but it's difficult when your initial main gripe is about a coach......the rest appears to be purely conjecture and speculation with no actual basis.

BSL is about promoting sport, creating a 'Bristol' brand with several individual clubs under its umbrella, it's a holding company driving commercials and efficiencies.

Although they make the odd mistake and bad decision, whilst the lansdowns are in the middle of this, I believe bcfc and the other clubs are in good hands

• Admin

Well that's not unexpected..

And I am sure the club name change is not even on the agenda..

It's more to do with how BS will be introduced to inspire sport within BS3..

But that hasn't stopped it being debated on this thread.

I now have it on record that JL will not allow a name change but some things never change.

Personal attacks? Please feel free to quote where I've personally attacked you.

If you care to read back through this thread, I and others have been debating your arguments but it's difficult when your initial main gripe is about a coach......the rest appears to be purely conjecture and speculation with no actual basis.

BSL is about promoting sport, creating a 'Bristol' brand with several individual clubs under its umbrella, it's a holding company driving commercials and efficiencies.

Although they make the odd mistake and bad decision, whilst the lansdowns are in the middle of this, I believe bcfc and the other clubs are in good hands

I see that you have used the words from @jonlansdown.

But I don't think the Lansdown's are in question - what has been questioned is the strategy behind the BS campaign and how it fits within Ashton Gate & BCFC..

Archived