IGNORED

Bristol sport / shirts / Brand theft (Merged)

RedZepperin

I see that you have used the words from @jonlansdown.

Well, it's my understanding of BS based on the information provided, it just so happens to come out of the same school of marketing as JL!

Admittedly, some further updates on BS and it's overall plan wouldn't go amiss, however, the decisions made so far e.g. the coach, the logo, the shared shop etc are good, prudent business decisions and should not be taken as some form of dastardly plan by SL/BS to erase the name and identity of BCFC

As far as I can see this is something being made out of nothing, we now have a team coach with the bristol sport logo as well as our and the ruggers and other teams under the sport umbrella, ok i can understand people not liking the other teams names being on it but as Bristol city wasnt on the previous coach then even this is an improvement.

The club shop having bristol sport logo is no different to the Adidas logos there before, i think some have used this to try and fit into their agenda against SL

Again the bristol sport logo on the kit is no different to having the Adidas logo on there.

As far as i understand, although i admit i havent read up all the information, bristol sport is simply a way to get around the ffp/scmp through extra money.

I agree the club have boldly shown an initiative here, and I don't seriously consider the club's heritage or future to be under any kind threat of being diminishined by BS.

It has, however, kinda crept in under the radar since it's creation, and now is starting to throw it's weight around much more ebbs is inevitably raising some eyebrows.

Perhaps a bit more transparency is in order here.

Cheers Milo, this really clarifies things, but that wont stop the conspiracy theorists on here, worrying about something that they have dreamt up in their heads.

It does clarify things Milo, and thank you. But I think that there is also a place for conspiracy theorists. It is right to question the actions of organisational bodies; it is what keeps them accountable for their actions.

Cheers Milo, this really clarifies things, but that wont stop the conspiracy theorists on here, worrying about something that they have dreamt up in their heads.

If that structure was true, why is Bristol Sport the headline of both the coach and the shop? With the five others quite clearly dependants of Bristol Sport?

Plus my main issue is not knowing how far this is going to go, a blue away kit for example, or somebody else mentioned the "Bristol Sport South Stand" the latter not having been mentioned yet but people or merely concerned as there is no visibility of BS plans, it's also very hush hush, some people know a bit others nothing, BS or BCFC need to make a clear statement on where this is going, not some business jargon BS which is the type of sentence you palm off in business every day of the week.

I've got no conspiracy theory, but I do have suspicions and until the future is clarifyied I will continue to.

If that structure was true, why is Bristol Sport the headline of both the coach and the shop? With the five others quite clearly dependants of Bristol Sport?

Plus my main issue is not knowing how far this is going to go, a blue away kit for example, or somebody else mentioned the "Bristol Sport South Stand" the latter not having been mentioned yet but people or merely concerned as there is no visibility of BS plans, it's also very hush hush, some people know a bit others nothing, BS or BCFC need to make a clear statement on where this is going, not some business jargon BS which is the type of sentence you palm off in business every day of the week.

I've got no conspiracy theory, but I do have suspicions and until the future is clarifyied I will continue to.

Why was Adidas and Peter Carroll the headline of both the shop and the coach beforehand?

As far as I can tell BS provide services to 5 other sporting entities within Bristol but non (including us) are under obligation to use the service, BS has no power to dictate to any of the sporting entities. In the relationship between the football club and BS the football club is the customer of BS not the subordinate.

We're basically outsourcing the back office to BS who have branded a few things they are now running for us.

Some will have already understand the structure, but not what FC identity assests may be re-branded, how revenue will be shared and that is what is not being explained. The word may was used there, the mays should be cleared up.

Bristol Sport could lead to Bristol City fans having input into Commercial decions that directly affcet them. It may lead to something much worse. Could and a may there again.

I don't know much about branding, structure etc but is it just a simple case of gathering sports with Bristol connections and lumping them together under/alongside a heading - Bristol Sports. A sort of strength in numbers, reaching out to more people. The more components the potentially the bigger the brand.

Of course SL wants success for all the components, but say for example the basketball team closes, are failures or there is some scandal, well that part of Bristol Sports can easily be removed or standalone. Other sports can easily be brought in. Say he sponsors a golfer, darts player, ice hockey team etc, the components can just be under/alongside the Bristol Sports banner.

Nobody outside of Bristol ( and many in Bristol) will really ever know what Bristol Sports covers unless they seek the information, but the name looks strong. For example if I saw Nottingham Sports on a team I would think it covered all or a lot of sports teams or individuals in Nottingham, therefore quite big and important in that field.

I don't know much about branding, structure etc but is it just a simple case of gathering sports with Bristol connections and lumping them together under/alongside a heading - Bristol Sports. A sort of strength in numbers, reaching out to more people. The more components the potentially the bigger the brand.

Of course SL wants success for all the components, but say for example the basketball team closes, are failures or there is some scandal, well that part of Bristol Sports can easily be removed or standalone. Other sports can easily be brought in. Say he sponsors a golfer, darts player, ice hockey team etc, the components can just be under/alongside the Bristol Sports banner.

Nobody outside of Bristol ( and many in Bristol) will really ever know what Bristol Sports covers unless they seek the information, but the name looks strong. For example if I saw Nottingham Sports on a team I would think it covered all or a lot of sports teams or individuals in Nottingham, therefore quite big and important in that field.

You are attempting to explain with opinion something the decision makers alrrady could have with facts.

Within that theory I can see scenarios which could dumb down Bristol City and alter / devalue its identity. Similar could be achieved by linking the sporting bodies to Bristol City FC in name and colours, avoiding the rugby club as it has a strong identity of its own.

• Admin

PULA_Organisation_Chart_zps47010360.png

I have to admit from the impression I had on the above I would have expected to see PULA then BS then the rest below.

The way Bristol sport have been reporting and tweeting about all things Bristol City recently, they don't appear to be on a level par with all the others listed

Great to know that the Supporters Club & Trust, and David Lloyd are on the case. A few final thoughts on this:

1. If the club decided tomorrow, or whenever, to phase out "Bristol Sport" and just brand everything, except Bristol Rugby, "Bristol City" i.e. Bristol City Ladies, Bristol City Flyers, would they be happier or less happy with that situation? We could always incorporate the Community Trust logo onto the shirts if we feel underweight logo-wise. BSL would of course continue as a backroom company, but need not be branded in such an artificial manner (to avoid brand dillution/cannibalisation).

2. At some point in time, somebody, maybe a future owner, is going to want to streamline all these brands. It's only a matter of time. Would you prefer:

a) Bristol Sport Rugby, Bristol Sport Vixens, Bristol Sport Flyers and Bristol Sport Robins; or

b) Bristol City, Bristol Rugby, Bristol City Ladies and Bristol City Flyers.

[Jon Lansdown says he'll never change the name but what happens if his family sells up?]

3. Current business management is about taking lots of decisions. Inevitably, you're going to take some that will need improving later on. We've seen this happen with previous marketing issues and, of course, the ticketing, er, is it all right to call it a fiasco...? I believe that part of the role of this forum is to flag up these areas that need improving and discuss them. Others then take ideas to the decision makers and see if things can be changed/improved. I have no idea why a) some forum members pretend that all the decisions taken by the club have been and always will be correct; or b) they label people who come forward with ideas for improvement as "conspiracy theorists".

Up the Sport. Sorry, City.

Hi

Was just looking at this and from a purely business point of view this looks to me as if Bristol Sport will provide a backoffice or shared service centre model to the Bristol clubs.   So Bristol Sport can process 100 invoices per week just as cheaply as 200 a week ... rather than the cost of each club processing them.   So its all about cost saving:   Economies of scale for Brizz Sport and headcount reduction for the clubs (no need to employ accountants etc).     Kind of like out-sourcing, but on a local level.

And if you look at that over all structure.   It is quite similar to Barcelona.   Anyone thats ever done the ground tour will have seens the campus for the other Barca clubs (ice hockey and basketball if memory serves).

I agree that without all the facts, it could look as if Bristol Sport are some entity to be feared.   But from what Ive seen above it looks very similar to how many modern companies are now structured.    

Really PSR...

Why would any fan want to dream up something like this in their heads..

I for one as a fan of nearly 50 years, will always show concern for anything that shows confusion regarding the 'history/heritage' of our club.

I really do hope you understand this & embrace the concern rather than diss other posters..

As per this from RZ...

I believe that part of the role of this forum is to flag up these areas that need improving and discuss them. Others then take ideas to the decision makers and see if things can be changed/improved. I have no idea why a) some forum members pretend that all the decisions taken by the club have been and always will be correct; or b) they label people who come forward with ideas for improvement as "conspiracy theorists"

This really is pretty pathetic. It's a bus - which has Bristol City's logo on it - and a 'megastore' - which has Bristol City's logo all over it. Neither Peter Carol nor the Bristol City megastore are richly intertwined in the club's history, nor is BCFC about to be rebranded.

Christ, we kicked up enough of a fuss when villagers didn't want a stadium in their back yard, but can't deal with the prospect of a Bristol Sport bus. All of a sudden they seem reasonable folk in comparison.

Archived