IGNORED

Bristol sport / shirts / Brand theft (Merged)

RedZepperin

So, from what I could make out from SL. BS is responsible for the commercial and financial side for all sports under it but thats it, it is in no way in control of them. BCFC still operate as a seperate identity and its name, colours and ashton gate shall remain the same and nothing will change in the future. What BCFC and BRC are at the moment will stay the same the only changes being made are to the commercial and financial side of things. Hope that dismisses peoples worries about 'identity theft', I certainly feel alot more at ease now anyway.

So when we're signing a player, is it the Chairman of Bristol City or someone at Bristol Sport that has the final say as to whether we can afford it? Is the football clubs budget set by Bristol Sport if part of their remit is finance?

Can you tell I'm no businessman?

Pula is named after the currency of Botswana.

SL has confirmed in his interview today on YouTube that the name Bristol City will not be changing (obviously) and neither will Ashton Gate unless a company comes along with a load of money to sponsor it but SL "can't see that happening".

Also the idea of a new bus was actually SCs. I guess the opportunity presented itself and BS were chosen to sponsor it.

SL also gives a different interpretation of where BS sits amongst all the various companies. SL says BS sits between him and Bristol City, Bristol Rugby etc NOT alongside them as Milo was told. I must admit that was always my understanding of it:

Pula

BS

City, egg-chasers, basketball etc

there you go riccardo

So with regards to Ashton Gate..?

Do we think that it will remain this...?

Personally I read that it will become Bristol Sport Stadium... Formerly known & still remembered as Ashton Gate by the fans..

From what I gathered it will remain ashton gate unless a sponsor comes in offering lots of wonga for naming rights.

So when we're signing a player, is it the Chairman of Bristol City or someone at Bristol Sport that has the final say as to whether we can afford it? Is the football clubs budget set by Bristol Sport if part of their remit is finance?

You'd have to ask one of the Lansdowns for that, considering finance isnt black and white, excactly how much financial control they have.

No, I read it as the budget is still set by the football club and that John Pelling has an increasingly important role in this regard.

Personally I read that it will become Bristol Sport Stadium... Formerly known & still remembered as Ashton Gate by the fans..

SL said it will remain AG unless a company comes along with a large amount of money to sponsor it which SL said he can't see happening.

So, no it doesn't look like the BS Stadium is likely!

Stop shit stirring.

Even when faced with the facts from the man at the very top.....he still can help himself.

A point actually forgotten here was that when AV was very much on the table, SL stated it was more than likley that stadium naming rights would be available and I dont remember there being a big hoo-ha then. 

He is now stating its unlikely. However, if the right opportunity comes along, we would have to consider it as would any other club in the country....whether we like it or not, that's modern football 

image.jpg

Is a football clubs identity just a name and shirt colour?

What I find interesting about this picture, and assuming my calculations are correct taking into account sea levels etc, is that the back row of the new Williams will be approx 3 meters higher than the back row of Cardiff's East Stand which gives you an idea of the scale of the new Williams

I think it is a clever way for him to separate the commercial and financial aspects from the football/rugby/basketball aspects of the clubs he owns. 

So he has people who know how to run a business dealing with that side of things and then football people such as that Pelling bloke focussing on the football side of things - which puts people in roles suited to their knowledge. He mentions that Pelling has a fewer responsibilities but can now put all his efforts into the football side of things rather than worrying about financial aspects which he will with all due respect not so good at relative to business people.

What I find interesting about this picture, and assuming my calculations are correct taking into account sea levels etc, is that the back row of the new Williams will be approx 3 meters higher than the back row of Cardiff's East Stand which gives you an idea of the scale of the new Williams

...and ours won't have a dumbass 'doing the Ayatollah' pattern on the seats.

They are such a bunch of knobs!

I think it is a clever way for him to separate the commercial and financial aspects from the football/rugby/basketball aspects of the clubs he owns. 

So he has people who know how to run a business dealing with that side of things and then football people such as that Pelling bloke focussing on the football side of things - which puts people in roles suited to their knowledge. He mentions that Pelling has a fewer responsibilities but can now put all his efforts into the football side of things rather than worrying about financial aspects which he will with all due respect not so good at relative to business people.

Don't disagree & realise that sport has to have good sound financial structure behind it.

Have to accept that BCFC is now just part of a structure..

Stop shit stirring.

So asking a question on a forum...

Is now deemed 'shit stirring'

Um very interesting theory..

Well let's get back to the 'Happy Clappy' posts..

Rather than posts that generate interest with members as far flung as South Africa..

Robin1988 heard any good rumours about signings..?

Even when faced with the facts from the man at the very top.....he still can help himself.

A point actually forgotten here was that when AV was very much on the table, SL stated it was more than likley that stadium naming rights would be available and I dont remember there being a big hoo-ha then. 

He is now stating its unlikely. However, if the right opportunity comes along, we would have to consider it as would any other club in the country....whether we like it or not, that's modern football

Ignoring the attack on the poster.

Some interesting points.

And appreciate your views.

I was just interested in the event of Ashton Gate losing its name to a sponsor/BS, whether fans would still see/call it AG.

I am haven not  had the time to read this entire thread, so sorry if this has already been said, but it strikes me what we are seeing here is the French model of a "sporting club", being a single club but having involvement in various sports. This was something that Newcastle looked at some years ago, football, rugby and basketball I believe. What we are seeing is the finical integration, it remains to be seem how much more is planned.

My personal opinion ,for what it's worth, is this could be a good thing,as it helps strengthen us money wise, of which the coach is but a small example, and helps to ensure we work within a realistic budget. Being part of a greater whole also helps to protect us against the Vincent Tangs of this world. This is also a good time to be doing this as we are, currently, the only provider of professional football in the city.

No one likes change, football fans least of all, but in the real world if you stand still you go under. If change has to happen, and it does, then this strikes me as a route more likely to protect what we hold dear in the club. But, as with everything, the danger lies in the detail, who has priority over who, and who controls what ?   

I am haven not  had the time to read this entire thread, so sorry if this has already been said, but it strikes me what we are seeing here is the French model of a "sporting club", being a single club but having involvement in various sports. This was something that Newcastle looked at some years ago, football, rugby and basketball I believe. What we are seeing is the finical integration, it remains to be seem how much more is planned.

My personal opinion ,for what it's worth, is this could be a good thing,as it helps strengthen us money wise, of which the coach is but a small example, and helps to ensure we work within a realistic budget. Being part of a greater whole also helps to protect us against the Vincent Tangs of this world. This is also a good time to be doing this as we are, currently, the only provider of professional football in the city.

No one likes change, football fans least of all, but in the real world if you stand still you go under. If change has to happen, and it does, then this strikes me as a route more likely to protect what we hold dear in the club. But, as with everything, the danger lies in the detail, who has priority over who, and who controls what ?   

Nothing like Real Madrid and Barcelona football fans kicking off at the basketball matches between the two clubs

Ignoring the attack on the poster.

Some interesting points.

And appreciate your views.

I was just interested in the event of Ashton Gate losing its name to a sponsor/BS, whether fans would still see/call it AG.

Mate, there was no "attack on the poster"

• Admin

I think all of this is being done to our advantage ahead of any promotion to the Championship.

At the moment, under FFP, we are only governed by our salary expenditure. I haven't looked in detail into the difference at the next level other than we are judged on overall financial performance where we will be punished for making a loss. I believe the set up with BSL will enable us to move many of the expenses off the club's balance sheet which in theory will allow SL to spend more on the football side of the business.

I thought people were against the BCFC "brand" as its whats wrong with modern football,

Can you explain how the brand has been diluted? as I'm not buying a bristol sport season ticket I'm buying a Bristol City one, my son isn't getting a bristol sport shirt he's getting a bristol city one,

the players don't play for bristol sport they are playing for bristol city, the scores won't be reported as Bristol Sport 0-1 Sheffield united  it will be reported as Bristol City 0-1 Shefield united,

What does this Bristol Sport Brand you go on about what does it sell? are their Bristol Sport Trainers? are ther Bristol Sport footballs? or is it simply providing a kit made in this country which is unique to the clubs of Bristol using it?

Why didn't you post this sort of stuf last season and the season before that where Adidas was plastered everywhere? where wasn't TFG or Puma diluting the BCFC brand?

A clubs identity is its brand. Its one of the FC's assets. BS / Steve Lansdown could choose to extend that identity, but instead has / have opted to create their own brand to work along side it, and for other sporting clubs.

It is clear here if BS decide to plaster the ground in BS ads, use the BS brand v the FC's on bars , merchandise, signnage etc the identity of the football club becomes more peripheral. It is unclear how BS will offset this effect if it coccurs. The possibilty is also there that BS may lead to the FC's identity becoming far more prominent via BS e.g in the community but again that is a possibility, not a fact.

Adidas provided a service, a poor one. Bristol City and BS are now thoroughly entwined. That is clearly different.

Constant consultation with support and consent can be viewed as a modern part of football. Clubs like Bayern and Dortmund leave aspects of the club under the control of fans e.g the FC [rule 51%], and create seperate companies to run other elements e.g Commercials. BS cannot work in that manner as it is already seperate to the club in name and logo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bJHFw6yhfUQ

Interesting to see that this thread has led to questions of SL..

Well worth a listen..

And some interesting comments by SL..

Just listened to it. I think we need Paxman to come in and to cut him off when he goes on and on about the benefits of having a back-office team to run certain aspects of the various clubs. Yes, we got it, as they say. It's the obvious thing to do.

What he needs to be pressed on is why he has decided to "brand" this. If Man Utd bought out Salford Ping Pong Club, there might be staff coordinating the two clubs in the background, but they would not rebrand to "Manchester Sport".

He is also makes a very sweeping statement about how it's best to market Bristol City and Bristol Rugby (he also mentions in the same breath, without laughing, Bristol Flyers) in a joint manner. OK. I'm going to ignore Bristol Flyers for the moment. If you have to arrange a meeting with someone from, say, Duff Beers, Inc. to try and get them to sponsor us, do you introduce yourself as so and so from a) Bristol Sport (and hope that the person on the end of the line has seen your bus go by and memorised all the logos on it) or b) Bristol City and Bristol Rugby?

Bristol Sport does not need branding to achieve its aims as a coordinator and would be much better off using its current real brands when talking to potential sponsors.

The Bristol Sport "brand" is folly. It is as crass, amateur and vain as thinking that, just because you have a list of obvious things to do to run a football club, you have "five pillars".

Archived