IGNORED

Fan Involvement And Bs - Bcfc

Cowshed

Why does it have to be kept a secret....is it to stop the Chinese pumping out cheap copies 

This was exactly my first thought. Maybe someone can offer a genuine reason I am missing other than copying and potential snides but I can't see that happening OR people buying knock-offs. Lets be honest, it isn't a Barcelona kit is it? Why it can't be a supporter chosen design as the season progresses I don't know. It could even be quite fun doing a bit at the time. Oh well.

It's insane, I really don't understand why all football clubs lower down the leagues don't let their paying customers vote for what they will buy.

Provide say 5 designs and everyone on the BCFC database has one vote, thus avoiding rival fans taking the piss.

I am unable to post into that forum, but could someone please ask what the consequences are of details of an upcoming kit being, as Dave calls it, "leaked"?

I don't mean to be facetious in asking that, by the way, but I just don't see what impact it has on anything or anyone.

Perhaps I speak out of turn, but I imagine for most fans if they like the shirt they'll buy it, and if they don't like the shirt they won't. How, when or where they find out what that shirt is like is completely irrelevant.

I hope someone can convince me that there's more to this than a handful of people working in marketing and commercial being a bit precious, because I really don't see it.

It's insane, I really don't understand why all football clubs lower down the leagues don't let their paying customers vote for what they will buy.

Provide say 5 designs and everyone on the BCFC database has one vote, thus avoiding rival fans taking the piss.

I think they did this with Everton's new crest. Two options were dogshit, I mean, they were actually an image of a dog taking a shit and the third was what 95% of people voted for - the one they've got.

Don't know why the secrecy, though. Just seems like silly authoritarianism.

I hope someone can convince me that there's more to this than a handful of people working in marketing and commercial being a bit precious, because I really don't see it.

I didn't really follow it all, but wasn't this year's shirt the time they drip fed spoiler photos of parts of the shirt?  If so I suspect they were a bit peed that someone gave details of it up front.

Although that has its merits as a launch, if you have gone through a City style consultation process and shown designs/pre-production stuff to a self selecting group of fans then it is unlikely it will stay confidential.

Better to accept it will leak and think of a promotional campaign around that if it is what you want to do.

I would have been more pissed off that the purple & lime theme was leaked so early.  Think of the impact if it wasn't known about until the team came out onto the pitch at Sheffield.

My take is that some fans were consulted / shown potential shirts and this info was put out on social media, meaning the club couldn't reveal as an exclusive when final design was decided.

From my point of view, I wouldn't buy a shirt if they were giving them away(?)

Those who do buy deserve a say in what they are buying, otherwise the club is failing to exploite their potential market fully.

Or am I wrong?

My take is that some fans were consulted / shown potential shirts and this info was put out on social media, meaning the club couldn't reveal as an exclusive when final design was decided.

From my point of view, I wouldn't buy a shirt if they were giving them away(?)

Those who do buy deserve a say in what they are buying, otherwise the club is failing to exploite their potential market fully.

Or am I wrong?

Having been in the football business for over a hundred years and having sold replica shirts for many of the last decades, I am amazed they don't know what will sell and that they need to consult at all. 

However if it was me I would consult someone in the fashion industry, as they are essentially fashion items, and find out where the market was heading - retro? tight fit? loose fit? etc.

Dave L did himself instigate a thread discusing the gap between fans and club. One of the conclusions was that supporters of the FC, the reason the FC exists should be consulted on kit selection.

BS, or BCFC now disagree.

The decision there highights why that gulf exists between the FC and sections of fans.

Fans should be the club, not faceless suits who often are only here for the salary.

And they can sell all five shirts. Who cares what "shirt" the team play in?

Dave L did himself instigate a thread discusing the gap between fans and club. One of the conclusions was that supporters of the FC, the reason the FC exists should be consulted on kit selection.

BS, or BCFC now disagree.

The decision there highights why that gulf exists between the FC and sections of fans.

Fans should be the club, not faceless suits who often are only here for the salary.

:city:  :city: 51% :city:  :city:

DaveL in another pr gaffe. Surely not.

He has indicated he thought fans should be involved in kit selection. As the club liaison he may have been instructed to provide only the clubs view. That view itself is uneven. If the fans on the fans network cannot be trusted the purpose of FAN is more than questionable.

As for BS. Moving away from Adidas was being sold as offering more flexibilty on kit design. That flexibilty offers an opportunity to do what other clubs cannot and turn the team kit into a true fans kit. An opportunity that BS - BCFC don't think fans are worthy of.

Having been in the football business for over a hundred years and having sold replica shirts for many of the last decades, I am amazed they don't know what will sell and that they need to consult at all. 

However if it was me I would consult someone in the fashion industry, as they are essentially fashion items, and find out where the market was heading - retro? tight fit? loose fit? etc.

Are you saying I don't have any fashion sense?

Not sure of this myself,just say on average they sell as Sweden said 2000....would a better or poorer design make that much difference to sales

only a certain fan will buy and wear a shirt. As long as it's red & white and not too horrendous i imagine sales are pretty much the same (purple&lime aside)

Not sure of this myself,just say on average they sell as Sweden said 2000....would a better or poorer design make that much difference to sales

only a certain fan will buy and wear a shirt. As long as it's red & white and not too horrendous i imagine sales are pretty much the same (purple&lime aside)

I would suspect that if  it was an unfashionable design then people wouldn't buy, but would stick to their favourite design from previous seasons.

Not that I am a fashion junkie, but vintage/retro seems to be a trend at the moment so our shirt having that feel would seem to have been the right way to go to encourage people to buy the latest shirt.  I seem to remember quite a few comments dissing the offerings from the major manufacturers as being a bit last year and ordinary and they weren't going to buy them.

I would suspect that if  it was an unfashionable design then people wouldn't buy, but would stick to their favourite design from previous seasons.

Not that I am a fashion junkie, but vintage/retro seems to be a trend at the moment so our shirt having that feel would seem to have been the right way to go to encourage people to buy the latest shirt.  I seem to remember quite a few comments dissing the offerings from the major manufacturers as being a bit last year and ordinary and they weren't going to buy them.

Take your point

Archived