IGNORED

Cheltenham Vs City Jpt Official Matchday Thread

JamesBCFC

Having a great player doesn't make you a great team.

He was most successful in the first half of last season and we spent most of it propping the league up, remember?

'No I in Team' and all that....

Quite right, we would have been relegated without JET last season .

There has to be a balance here. It's not just putting in a 'shift' for the heck of it. It's closing the other side down, reducing their chances etc etc. We know what JET can do, and what he does not do. It's just a case of when he is on somebody else has to pick that side up, which as long as it is allowed for is ok. We have reduced overall the goals we have conceded a fair bit over last year. That is at least partly down to players working hard.

Also dwn o the change of manager lat season and his sorting of he defence.

I'm not saying JET should start but there's been at least 3/4 occasions when the games cried out for him, instead we've been overly negative, invited pressure and dropped points. There's nothing wrong itch striving for perfection, there's a reason we are in league one and there's a reason why SC is historically a successful lower league manager.

.....and the how many other gals and assists last season?

Last season is irrelevant. Last time I checked this season we were top of the league and one of only 4 unbeaten teams in the football league

There is also only one team in the football league who have scored more goals than we have.

So personally I'm fully behind the team selection.

Second quality save by FF

He's been very good tonight when called upon.

We get it mate you're not a fan. As JET would say, leave it yeah.

Except I've made it quite clear that I like JET. He brings a lot to the table. All I've said is that work rate isn't one of those things.

But as usual on here you you can't offer an opinion that goes against the grain without it being about scapegoating, blah blah.

Great work from JET to win the ball back. Yes he actually worked for the ball and made a tackle much to the dismay of some!

Great leap from Wes though and im so pleased for him that he's delivered tonight. Looks lively and positive. Good to see him given a chance up top.

I was watching JET for the first 30 minutes, I understand why some people think he is lazy, but I honestly believe it is like chess to him. He was changing positions looking to see where the weaknesses are and by drifting out of the game the opposition almost seem to forget he is there. Then he pops up and a 5 minute runs the game and creates real problems. 

This team set up is absolutely perfect for him, he has Pack and Smith to do the running around for him, Burns with pace as one option and Wilbs in the air for another one. I think if you have a team like this you can afford the "luxury player" (God how I hate that term) that creates the chances. 

As I have said several times before, those who think he is lazy seem to have forgotten what the object of the game is.

Great leap from Wes though and im so pleased for him that he's delivered tonight. Looks lively and positive. Good to see him given a chance up top.

Agree, very pleased to see it. Though still can't see him getting much chance this season with Agard and Wilbraham in such good form. Though it's a long season and you can't rule out injuries etc.

Not 100% sure on loan recall rules, but couldn't we loan him out with a 24 hour recall in case of emergencies/injuries etc?

What does 20 goals and 20 assists mean to you?

He's the best player at this club by a mile

Ok I get it now.

its better to have a player who can score 20 goals a season and struggle than it is having a good team working together and being top of the table... So simple when you put it like that.

Last season I said that although he was scoring a lot he was costing us more as we were playing most games with the equivalent of 10 men and everyone had to work that much harder to compensate. Think this season has proved that. There isnt one player currently in the first choice 11 you would swap JET for.

Yes he has talent but that is better used later in games against tired opposition.

I'm not saying JET should start but there's been at least 3/4 occasions when the games cried out for him, instead we've been overly negative, invited pressure and dropped points. There's nothing wrong itch striving for perfection

Orient at home was crying out for him, what is the point of having the option and not using him.

Ok I get it now.

its better to have a player who can score 20 goals a season and struggle than it is having a good team working together and being top of the table... So simple when you put it like that.

Last season I said that although he was scoring a lot he was costing us more as we were playing most games with the equivalent of 10 men and everyone had to work that much harder to compensate. Think this season has proved that. There isnt one player currently in the first choice 11 you would swap JET for.

Yes he has talent but that is better used later in games against tired opposition.

Nope you are missing the point completely, he did that in a struggling team with lower quality players, what could he be doing in this one in the formation we are looking at right now?

Interesting that this is a Cheltenham v City thread but once the match had started its an "Is JET crap or God" thread. I'm a bit of an old fashioned supporter but I'm one of those strange people who think that there are actually 22 players on the pitch.

Perhaps we should rename JET "Marmite" and give him his own section on the forum

Nope you are missing the point completely, he did that in a struggling team with lower quality players, what could he be doing in this one in the formation we are looking at right now?

Well the team played well in the latter stages of the season where JET did very little whatsoever. We picked up 2 points a game in the last 3 months of the season (automatic promotion form)

Archived