IGNORED

Block E/f

mightyreds89

The longer heels are dragged the less time those fans will get to react could be the explanation for the inexplicable delay, delay and delays of renders of the South stand. That may be a silly conspiracy, but the secrecy around this stand is also beyond silly.

Exactly. Where the hell are they going to build it?

I find it a bit worrying that a minority think they should have the right to pick a section of a stand of their choosing to have en masse at discounted prices. If it had been the Dolman I guess this would have been block b (as block a was going to be closed). Bit unfortunate for all the long term season ticket holders who would have to move on.

There was also a mention of a dedicated section in the new south stand for next season. Sounds fine but can someone explain why it should be at a discounted rate? Is that a cheap rate for life? While the EastEnders was a crap view in a crap stand, next season it will be the premium stand in the ground.

I find it a bit worrying that a minority think they should have the right to pick a section of a stand of their choosing to have en masse at discounted prices. If it had been the Dolman I guess this would have been block b (as block a was going to be closed). Bit unfortunate for all the long term season ticket holders who would have to move on.

There was also a mention of a dedicated section in the new south stand for next season. Sounds fine but can someone explain why it should be at a discounted rate? Is that a cheap rate for life? While the EastEnders was a crap view in a crap stand, next season it will be the premium stand in the ground.

If that were correct I would agree, however I have only seen requests for consultation, not cheap tickets.

SO, am I right in thinking that part of the issue that this small group have is the fear that we will be subsumed into the Bristol Sport brand? 

Having listened to the SL interview on Youtube the other day, I would have no worries on this score at all. He said that Barcelona were the model for the way he has approached the Barcelona and I don't think anyone thinks of, or is worried that Barcelona football club are part of a huge sporting brand covering numerous sports. 

Having seen the issues that have arisen at other clubs around branding, such as Cardiff and the Hull Tigers fiasco, I can't imagine that he would court controversy by trying to do away with the City part of the only league club in Bristol.

I find it a bit worrying that a minority think they should have the right to pick a section of a stand of their choosing to have en masse at discounted prices.

A perfectly reasonable view. It also did not happen at the Williams relocation meeting. No demands where made for discounted rates, no talk about rights, or en masse moves for all from the Eastend.

If it had been the Dolman I guess this would have been block b (as block a was going to be closed). Bit unfortunate for all the long term season ticket holders who would have to move on.

That almost certainly was not discussed by any group of fans.

There was also a mention of a dedicated section in the new south stand for next season. Sounds fine but can someone explain why it should be at a discounted rate? Is that a cheap rate for life?

Check with the Supporters Trust, others are obliviously asking to see the design images first then any ideas can be discussed more thoroughly.

Oh come on, you'll have us back playing in the park next, what is it with people and progress? I am nearly 53 years old and probably in the generation that is usually considered to be stuck in their ways, but I find this kind of nostalgia for the "good old days" depressing in the extreme. I lived through the 60's and 70's at this club and I remember that Harry Dolman hardly listened to the board let alone the fans.

In comparison SL and his son are comparatively democratic, it seems people are happy to take his money as long as they can tell him how to spend it, but if you asked every fan at the game on Saturday how they wanted it spent, you would probably get 10,000 different answers. Never mind whether it's a business or a club, you can't run anything like that.

Correct, HD did it his way because he was paying the bill.

SL and Bristol Sport are building two new stands at Ashton Gate which are designed to accommodate as many paying spectators as possible AND to provide the supporters with sufficient toilets, food and drink outlets and safe passage into and out of the stadium.

Unlike HD who built the monstrosity called the Dolman Stand. 5,000 seats with only two entrances/exits and only two toilets also at each end.

It was built to house two very large indoor bowling rinks with seats added on the top, almost as an afterthought. A building without any thought for City fans. No consultation with supporters whatsoever.

And that is why the other piece of reconstruction in the next two years will be to put sufficient toilets, entrances and exits to make it the same as the rest of the stadium.

And your nostalgia for the East End or Covered End as it was when I first went to City in 1950. A bank of terracing built in 1920's with toilets only at the Winterstoke entrance. The entrances and toilets at the Dolman end were added in 1970's ( I think).

Can you imagine what it was like with around 20,000 stood there? A urine sodden hell hole is probably the best description. And latterly a 6,000 seat area with minimal toilets and refreshment facilities.

Move on or go back to living in caves!

Bring back the days of having to piss into a rolled up newspaper on the terraces, because it was impossible to move ;)  :facepalm:

I witnessed that (although in duffle-coat pockets rather than rolled-up newspapers!) in the East End (amongst Liverpool fans) during the 1970's cup game prior to the next 'Match of the Round' loudly promoted by the late Bill Shankly.

Don't stands behind the goal at any football ground cost less than those on the side?Assume that this is what the request relates to?

I think there may be an awful lot of people from all parts of the ground who would want to move to the shiny new stand with the best facilities next season. That number may be higher still if it were cheaper than other parts of the ground. Many but not all of these potential buyers would not require detailed advance plans of said facilities in November of the previous season.

I respect those who would like to see these plans but I am not so sure the club should be condemned if it does not provide those plans as yet.

I am also happy for people to offer thoughts and opinions on some of the details (many of us will have completed the surveys so far). If any one individual claims a greater right to decide changes to those plans though I would be interested to understand their qualifications for that role. Failing that I remain happy leaving the decisions to those that pay for the build and their professional advisors.

Don't stands behind the goal at any football ground cost less than those on the side? Assume that this is what the request relates to?

Pretty much. It was part of several suggestions in response to the request from the club for input about the stand. It doesn't mean that it will happen of course.

Archived