IGNORED

Ched Evans (Again)

thephat1

No doubt he will end up firing them to promotion at our cost.

I wonder if people would be so forgiving then?

Personally I think he's used his "status" to allow him to commit a crime that he believed wouldn't ever come to what it did, regardless of him serving his time, some crimes are unforgivable, his is one of those.

I don't believe that he should get a second chance, simply because I don't believe that he should be given the opportunity to be a hero, or idolised and that is what exactly will happen if he fires UTD to glory (IF they offer him a contract).

I think the opposite actually. I would write them off.

Surely if this were to happen at City we'd all be going bananas and the thing would prove untenable?

Why would Sheffield United supporters be any different?

I'm well aware of the Brooker/Orr/Keogh incident but this is a whole different scale. Keogh's, the ring leader, career came to an all but end anyway. The judge made an example of the other two, they were remorseful, their 'victims' were hardly innocent, and it was a good old fashioned punch up in town (not defending it but it is a common pass time for many young man) - not rape.

Surely if this were to happen at City we'd all be going bananas and the thing would prove untenable?

Why would Sheffield United supporters be any different?

I'm well aware of the Brooker/Orr/Keogh incident but this is a whole different scale. Keogh's, the ring leader, career came to an all but end anyway. The judge made an example of the other two, they were remorseful, their 'victims' were hardly innocent, and it was a good old fashioned punch up in town (not defending it but it is a common pass time for many young man) - not rape.

Keogh?! Wasn't it Partridge & Brown who were the others involved?!

Thing is it's one thing saying someone should have the right to gain employment - which of course they do - but still it's a club actively deciding to employ him.  I accept his right to employment in so far as that I don't think any club should be banned from employing him but I'd still give short shrift to any club that actively decides to appoint a convicted rapist who has not only shown a spectacular lack of remorse or awareness of what he has done but also he and his supporters have created a website that shows utter contempt for the court and jury's decision and for the rights or dignity of the woman involved.

Yes, Sheffield United have every right to employ him but it's nonetheless utterly shameful that they are choosing to exercise that right.

• Admin

I recently read something, where he reasoning for not publicly apologising is because he is convinced he will win his appeal, and if he had apologised it would show an admission of guilt !

Dirty scum regardles of whether he "raped" the girl, still a vile situation he was involved in

Quick question for those of you laying into Evans, if his conviction is overturned what will your thoughts be of him then?

If his conviction was overturned then clearly he would not be a convicted rapist.  I would think he was a a reprehensible oik who cheated on his girlfriend and let his mates film him having sex with a drunk and vulnerable woman but ultimately his private life would be his business.

That said, from what I've read and understand of the case, I can't see that happening.   He has had two appeals refused - the fact that the new one is being fastracked does not by any means mean it will be accepted - and, when you read the reasons for appeal, it seems the judge directed the jury appropriately and their decision was consistent with the judge's directions and the evidence presented at the trial.  Unless there is significant new evidence - which I strongly suspect there is not as I don't really see what form that evidence that could take - I would be amazed if the conviction was not upheld.

Keogh?! Wasn't it Partridge & Brown who were the others involved?!

Slip of the tongue, Partridge, Brooker and Orr.

As to your other question, IF my aunt had bollocks she'd be my Uncle. 'Laying into' a convicted rapist who is back in the public eye seems reasonable enough to me.

I recently read something, where he reasoning for not publicly apologising is because he is convinced he will win his appeal, and if he had apologised it would show an admission of guilt !

Dirty scum regardles of whether he "raped" the girl, still a vile situation he was involved in

if he wins an appeal, he simply took advantage of a girl who was so drunk she couldn't talk, most right think people wouldn't do that so my views of him won't change

Report to a police station every 3 months - oh no what a huge inconvienience, where will he find the time? Christ, people with football banning orders usually have to report to a police station EVERY TIME their team or England plays football.

Welcome to OTIB anyway, Ched.

Oh so because I disagree with blocking his path back into football, I must be him or a rapist ? Unbelievable !

To be honest, most people with football banning orders aren't football fans they are scum and low lives who go out looking for trouble and a fight, or a chance to have a dig at the old Bill and use football as an excuse! I also wouldn't have a clue how often a "fan" (term used loosely) would have to report to the old bill regarding a banning order, as I am not a hooligan and go to football to watch football. Personally agree with anyone causing trouble at a football match should be banned from all grounds for life, they are not football fans they are thugs.

Oh so because I disagree with blocking his path back into football, I must be him or a rapist ? Unbelievable !

To be honest, most people with football banning orders aren't football fans they are scum and low lives who go out looking for trouble and a fight, or a chance to have a dig at the old Bill and use football as an excuse! I also wouldn't have a clue how often a "fan" (term used loosely) would have to report to the old bill regarding a banning order, as I am not a hooligan and go to football to watch football. Personally agree with anyone causing trouble at a football match should be banned from all grounds for life, they are not football fans they are thugs.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm an idiot, got confused reading so many posts and got crossed wires!

Quick question for those of you laying into Evans, if his conviction is overturned what will your thoughts be of him then?

Really the quick question is for you my friend, this is a guy who with a co accused went through the British legal system, where 12 independent people with no connection to him or his co accused, found him guilty and his co accused not guilty, having heard every single shred of evidence that was available. Which at least proves that the jury must have listened intently to the evidence or both would have been found guilty or not guilty.

He immediately appealed and that appeal was turned down, the turning down of that appeal was upheld by 3 further judges.

What more could the system do to prove or disprove the case?.

Now, the implication by Evans is that there is new evidence of 'sorts', if his original defence team were so crap/complacent that they didn't investigate their clients case thoroughly enough in the first place and missed so called vital evidence, surely there will have been no miscarriage of justice, it's the original defence team fault he was found guilty. 

But I wonder who his wrath will be taken out against?.

Causing trouble at football, ban for life?

Rape someone, back into society after a couple of years?

OK, got it.

He has served his sentence , and is allowed back into society as the Parole board see him as no danger to the public and that he has served the majority to his sentence and they are happy to release him on remand, should he step out of line he would go back to prison for 2 and a half years.

However fans who cause trouble at football aren't going to football for footballing reason's and if they weren't banned they would continue to cause trouble, There is no need to fight with anyone at football matches or start fighting the old bill. If I decked someone in my local, I would probably get 12-18 months inside, I **** someone at a football ground, I get a banning order and ejected from the ground. There should be stricter policing that anyone caught causing trouble fighting at football matches, and trying to fight the old bill, should be treated the same way any other assault case is. Hooligans spoil football for real fans, that's a fact. Quite right they should be banned from the grounds for life, after all they aren't there to watch football anyway !

He has served his sentence , and is allowed back into society as the Parole board see him as no danger to the public and that he has served the majority to his sentence and they are happy to release him on remand, should he step out of line he would go back to prison for 2 and a half years.

However fans who cause trouble at football aren't going to football for footballing reason's and if they weren't banned they would continue to cause trouble, There is no need to fight with anyone at football matches or start fighting the old bill. If I decked someone in my local, I would probably get 12-18 months inside, I **** someone at a football ground, I get a banning order and ejected from the ground. There should be stricter policing that anyone caught causing trouble fighting at football matches, and trying to fight the old bill, should be treated the same way any other assault case is. Hooligans spoil football for real fans, that's a fact. Quite right they should be banned from the grounds for life, after all they aren't there to watch football anyway !

This had nothing to do with parole boards, whatsoever, he served the time of his sentence, within the terms of the present laws of the land and as long as his prison behaviour was good, he is entitled to be released, without any intervention from parole boards or any other authority, whether he be a danger or not, whether he shows remorse or not.

Parole boards are mainly full of gullible Liberals who make their decisions but safe in the knowledge that they will never have to answer for that decision when it goes wrong, because that is what Liberals do.

he was convicted in a court of law by a jury, he has shown no remorse for his crime, he shouldn't be alloud to earn many thousends of pounds without paying about 90% charity,

to sum it up he is scum and should be left to rot working at mcdonalds or sweaping the streets

Would you show remorse if you were convinced you did no wrong? It does happen you know, innocent people do get put away...

Would you show remorse if you were convinced you did no wrong? It does happen you know, innocent people do get put away...

Mate if he is acquitted on appeal, blame the shitty legal team he employed, if he is acquitted they are the ones who ****** up not the system and the reason he is now employing a different team. The system worked perfectly well in this case.

Why is it ok for Lee Hughes to continue to play football? Why is there no huge petition? He killed a man, whilst drink driving and ran away from the scene - that is scum! He also hasn't exactly kept his nose clean since, an assault charge and an arrest for sexual assault.

its not ok in my eyes nether is Luke McCormick (or whatever his name is)

If it was me I'd ask the centre back to ensure he brings his daughter up as a lady, rather than the kind of girl that went to that hotel that night!

Outrageous beyond belief, these 2 morons were on the look out for just this sort of incapable female, it was pre planned, they are disgusting, just because she was drunk and wearing skimpy clothes that makes her fair game FFS?

Yes but I suspect more often than not the right decision is reached and I don't see any reason to believe an innocent person has been put away here.  As stated above, he's tried to appeal twice and he's been refused leave to appeal on both occasions and, if you read the reasons why and look at the court record of the trial, there's nothing that appears particularly shaky about the conviction.

I'm just not clear why people seem to believe that this is a potential miscarriage of justice just because the defendant is.  Plenty of convicted criminals claim to be innocent.  Some no doubt are telling the truth but some no doubt aren't.  So I'm not really sure why we're expected to give partculal credence to Ched Evans' claims to innocence above the others.

For what it's worth, I think Ched Evans genuinely believes he is innocent.  But I also believe he is in actual fact a rapist, even if he does not see it that way himself.

Yes but I suspect more often than not the right decision is reached and I don't see any reason to believe an innocent person has been put away here.  As stated above, he's tried to appeal twice and he's been refused leave to appeal on both occasions and, if you read the reasons why and look at the court record of the trial, there's nothing that appears particularly shaky about the conviction.

I'm just not clear why people seem to believe that this is a potential miscarriage of justice just because the defendant is.  Plenty of convicted criminals claim to be innocent.  Some no doubt are telling the truth but some no doubt aren't.  So I'm not really sure why we're expected to give partculal credence to Ched Evans' claims to innocence above the others.

For what it's worth, I think Ched Evans genuinely believes he is innocent.  But I also believe he is in actual fact a rapist, even if he does not see it that way himself.

Exactly he and the co accused were so ******* dull, they couldn't even get their stories straight when giving evidence at the trial, they gave conflicting accounts, so one of them was lying.

157,000 people signed a petition urging Sheff U not to let him play for them again. Very poor decision from Sheff U - a PR own goal and just sends out completely the wrong message IMO.

I'm all up for giving people second chances - problem is neither Evans or Sheff U seem to have properly acknowledged he's done anything wrong.

Well he maintains his innocence, so he wouldn't acknowledge he has done anything wrong - other than cheat on his gf and get involved in a sleazy drunken situation he now regrets.

As he has been found guilty by a jury, we have to assume he is not innocent, but juries often get things wrong and I'm not going to say I have 100% confidence that this didn't happen in this case.

Archived