IGNORED

Bristol Ladies Vs Barcelona Match Thread

myol'man

I went and thoroughly enjoyed the game.  Brilliant second half performance - took the game to Barca and deservedly got the goal to go through near the end.  

First woman's game I've seen (live) and was really impressed particularly by the tactical battle that was going on and the adaptability of the players.  Feared the worst in the first half,  but the response from the Vixens to conceding was indicative of a really strong mentality and togetherness.  They really looked to go and win the game in the second half rather than hold on.

Really looking forward to watching the quarter final.  Strongly recommend it.  

Thought it amusing how some of the crowd in the youtube footage were chanting "Citay" in the worst Brizzle accent.

Nice to see recognition on GMB and SSN this morning

And radio 5 too. Well done girls, maybe this Bristol Sport idea has got something afterall!

To be fair, what he was insinuating - by saying "let me know when there [sic] swapping shirts" - was that he wasn't remotely interested in the actual football (which is what the thread is about, and what the ladies are playing) and in fact considered the objectification of the female form as more important than their sporting prowess.

That's why it could be considered sexist.

If he'd said:

"Passing crisply and posing a threat - much like all teams at Ashton Gate these days, they're looking dangerous. Some of them look beautiful, too!"

it would have been more of a "I think they're attractive but that's not the only thing upon which I base my judgement" type comment that you seem to think his original one was.

Correct, objectification is sexist.

More importantly, well done Bristol Academy on a great result, especially over two legs and against a team unbeaten in 55 at home. I see that they finished 7th in the league this season, but does anyone know if they get a Champions League place for next year if they go on and win it?

Well done to the Vixons. Went along last night - really high level of skill on show, they pushed on in the second half and deservedly levelled. Was particularly impressed with our number 14.

I will definitely go to the next round, let's win this thing!

How are the Flyers doing this season? The other three are certainly doing Bristol Sport proud this year!

Not quite as good as the rest of us... But, if its anything like the NBA, as long as they don't finish bottom they could probably make the play-offs! Sort of like the opposite of Bristol's (rugby) annual play-off problem...

I also believe this is their first season at that level after promotion, although I could be talking complete bollocks there. it's just a vague memory

Great win for them , again puts Bristol on the Radar and to Beat Barcelona is great! Also on the bbc write up their manager Edmonson  says "We train four times a week and they all work full-time or are full-time students. Fair play to them I mean it'll be great once they don't have to work full time and earn from football but in some ways puts the men to shame.

I've never talked about him swapping shirts or shorts on the pitch etc, nor do I comment on the need for special pants to keep his equipment in (referring to the sports bra comment) which are sexist comments.

Fair enough.

I see the contextual difference. Apologies.

I know the threads a bit dead but here is the report on the Barca website which contains some footage which was a bit different from what I saw on the bristol sport link.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/feminine/detail/article/bristol-fcbarcelona-a-1-1-draw-not-enough

Would have been nice to see an acknowledgement on the city site, but unless I missed it - nothing.

When is the draw for the quarters?

Archived