IGNORED

One Question For Steve Lansdown .

Major Isewater

Lets face it... SL's choice of managers and the way he has wanted to run the Club in the past has been simply appalling.

People blame managers for buying in players, and putting them on long contracts and high wages but it's the board and SL who have sanctioned that. At what point in there head did they ever think if it doesn't work out we're buggered with them? They didn't...hence why we were in free fall for so long.

Hopefully they have learnt from that and this upturn continues...

Bringing it Keith Burt indicated to me that the penny had finally dropped for SL. I think SL being such a succesful businessman thought that running a football would be a straightforward matter compared to running a financial house like his.

Burt is a very experienced football executive and City had never employed anyone in that kind of role. Sexstone had been Chief Executive but his knowledge of the world of football was nil. He had to learn on the job and imo didn't learn much.

Now the influence of Keith Burt along with Cotterills management and signings have City flying at long last.

Bringing it Keith Burt indicated to me that the penny had finally dropped for SL. I think SL being such a succesful businessman thought that running a football would be a straightforward matter compared to running a financial house like his.

Burt is a very experienced football executive and City had never employed anyone in that kind of role. Sexstone had been Chief Executive but his knowledge of the world of football was nil. He had to learn on the job and imo didn't learn much.

Now the influence of Keith Burt along with Cotterills management and signings have City flying at long last.

Agree with all of this, Robbo

Burt has been a fantastic appointment, knew SC from their Forest days so there was no 'getting to know you' period, it was straight in and get on with it, Right man, right time

Lets face it... SL's choice of managers and the way he has wanted to run the Club in the past has been simply appalling.

People blame managers for buying in players, and putting them on long contracts and high wages but it's the board and SL who have sanctioned that. At what point in there head did they ever think if it doesn't work out we're buggered with them? They didn't...hence why we were in free fall for so long.

Or....

Does it frustrate you that when you appoint a manager with the broad support of fans (McInnes, O'Driscoll) and it doesn't work out, people think you should have somehow had foresight they didn't?  And when you appoint a manager WITHOUT the broad support of the fans (Cotterill), and it goes well, the manager gets the credit and people continue to hark back to your previous failures?

If you had the Minogues it would take weeks to clear up...

I couldn't walk for a month after having the Minogues....

as for a question....

"With hindsight ...Do you think you should have brought in a more "been there done that" manager after watching us slip from top of Championship with 5 games to go and then losing Play off final"

Apparently O'Driscoll was a difficult man to work with. He was asked about a pre-season trip to Botswana but refused to agree. I'm sure that didn't go down well with Steve Lansdown.

He also had a somewhat dismissive view of senior staff at AG including some on the board, something else that didn't endear him to SL and as soon as City started to struggle he was shown the exit door.

And that's not all. Steve Lansdown offered to take O'Driscoll to a sale of dining room furniture, but our ex-Manager angrily refused. "I never look at tables," he grunted.

Does it frustrate you and do you feel you have failed somewhat, considering the amount of money thrown at the Club since your Tenure, and the amount of managers, and playing staff that have 'underachieved', that you still find yourself in the same division as when you first took over?...albeit now on an upturn.

of course it must, but it's his money and unless you have a consortium waiting in the wings, what do you suggest?, be like the other west country success stories that are (in no particular order) Plymouth, Swindon, Torquay, Exeter or the gas?, lurching from one financial disaster to the next.

Or...put it another way... SL was a difficult person to work with?

And SoD didn't suffer fools gladly? and imho he was right about being dismissive towards some of our staff.

Once more SL pays the bills including the miserable bleeders wages, he is entitled to respect and had SOD been a man of principle he could have walked, it's that simple, the choice that millions living in the real world make on daily basis.

I could just imagine your outrage if the money man owner of our club, had interfered with signings and said no, he is not good enough, or no his wage demands are too high or he wants too long a contract. IMO if the manager doesn't have a ball park figure (including the max the club should go to for wages and contract) and convey that to the owner then there can be no relationship whatsoever between the two and if as you are suggesting that SL was was left to make it up himself, without any advice from the manager because he didn't seek that advice, frankly I don't believe it.

As a fan I would ask him his all time City team & the reasons behind his choice.

Believe it or not SL like everyone else is only human & when interviewing prospective managers there is always going to be a risk involved.

Witness the look on SL's face at the press conference when GJ left. I think you saw genuine passion and sadness that his tenure had run its course. There are not many chairman/owners who would publicly do that.

DMC had an up and coming good track record north of the border. Managing in Scotland seemingly is far easier than south of the border & very soon became out of his depth.

SOD - I cannot believe that he would interview well, but his ideas on how the game should be played are far reaching. Witness the first game against Bradford & some of the football was brilliant & I think we all bought into that. The problem was he was playing with third tier footballers so when scores go against you sooner or later you will get the Spanish Archer. 

I think he backs whoever is at the helm & experience tells him when enough is enough.

Ultimately he is a fan & I think we are extremely lucky to have him & his vision, long may it continue.

Archived