IGNORED

The Fucup Dongcaster Match Thread

Major Isewater

Why is everyone crying about cup versus league?

In 06/07 we got through to the 4th round after (you guessed it) a replay in the 3rd, and even managed to go up despite a replay in the 4th too.

And it's not like getting knocked out at the 3rd round the year we went down did sweet FA for our league form.

We've a team that doesn't like losing; regardless of fitness or fixtures, we should have it in us for another round, at least.

Exactly, constantly going out in the 3rd round when we were in the championship did our league form wonders, or even last season..... Would some of our fans be happy if we withdraw our parcipitation in the FA cup next season if were better off going out anyway to concentrate on the league?

If your being successful you go with the flow no mater what the competition and just enjoy it while it lasts.

What..?

That makes no sense, but even trying to guess what you are on about, that doesn't seem right to me.

If we win the replay and get drawn against Rochdale away, which we should win, we are in the last 16. Sorry, not last 8

Why is everyone crying about cup versus league?

In 06/07 we got through to the 4th round after (you guessed it) a replay in the 3rd, and even managed to go up despite a replay in the 4th too.

And it's not like getting knocked out at the 3rd round the year we went down did sweet FA for our league form.

We've a team that doesn't like losing; regardless of fitness or fixtures, we should have it in us for another round, at least.

It's a question of risk; risk of fatigue, risk of injury to key players. The more cup games we play, the greater the risk of these things occurring and a knock on effect on our league form.

Just because we've gotten away with in the past doesn't change this.

It's a question of risk; risk of fatigue, risk of injury to key players. The more cup games we play, the greater the risk of these things occurring and a knock on effect on our league form.

Gotten? Gotten! FFS :facepalm:

Although I'm not unaware of this I just think people overestimate the effect it has on the squad.

Sheffield United went to the semi-finals of the cup last year and managed to finish 7th; Swindon made the play-offs having gone all the way to the JPT final, and Peterborough also got to the play-offs while winning the same thing, and making a good go of the FA Cup, and getting further than us in the league one too.

Granted; Wolves and Brentford were dire in the cups, but Preston have similar fixture build up to us coming up, while MK Dons and Swindon just recently 'blinked' when presented with the chance to steal any real march on us, and at a time when our top scorers and others were out injured or not at full fitness.  Plus, there is the fact we've now got a transfer window to bring in warm bodies, so can do so if needed.

I just don't think we need to get stressed until this is seen to effect our league form, which I've yet to see happen.

What..?

That makes no sense, but even trying to guess what you are on about, that doesn't seem right to me.

One of the most enjoyable things on here is working out what Aizoon is on about. For those of you who don't know, Aizoon was on the team that cracked the Enigma code in WW2.

Sorry what's the problem?

The use of the word Americanism "gotten". Aizoon has never forgiven the Americans for making a hollywood film that depicts the U.S breaking the Enigma code.

Although I'm not unaware of this I just think people overestimate the effect it has on the squad.

Sheffield United went to the semi-finals of the cup last year and managed to finish 7th; Swindon made the play-offs having gone all the way to the JPT final, and Peterborough also got to the play-offs while winning the same thing, and making a good go of the FA Cup, and getting further than us in the league one too.

Granted; Wolves and Brentford were dire in the cups, but Preston have similar fixture build up to us coming up, while MK Dons and Swindon just recently 'blinked' when presented with the chance to steal any real march on us, and at a time when our top scorers and others were out injured or not at full fitness. Plus, there is the fact we've now got a transfer window to bring in warm bodies, so can do so if needed.

I just don't think we need to get stressed until this is seen to effect our league form, which I've yet to see happen.

Very fair comments, can't argue with any of that.

One of the most enjoyable things on here is working out what Aizoon is on about. For those of you who don't know, Aizoon was on the team that cracked the Enigma code in WW2.

The use of the word Americanism "gotten". Aizoon has never forgiven the Americans for making a hollywood film that depicts the U.S breaking the Enigma code.

That's surprisingly accurate. And of course winning WWI, WWII, the Wars of the Roses and the Punic Wars, all on their own ;)

Granted; Wolves and Brentford were dire in the cups, but Preston have similar fixture build up to us coming up, while MK Dons and Swindon just recently 'blinked' when presented with the chance to steal any real march on us, and at a time when our top scorers and others were out injured or not at full fitness.  Plus, there is the fact we've now got a transfer window to bring in warm bodies, so can do so if needed.

I can't quite remember, but who got promoted last year, and who didn't?

I can't quite remember, but who got promoted last year, and who didn't?

What's your point?

You suggesting that it is impossible to maintain cup form AND league form?

Seems a bit defeatist to me.

Haven't seen our progress in the FA Cup and JPT have any impact yet; have you?

Not a vintage away performance by any means today, but the team kept going despite several players having an off day. Fingers crossed we can finish them off in the replay and also get a decent draw in round 4 (please not Leicester away).

But the biggest off day today has to be that linesman in front of us - his decision to flag for offside from a throw in absolutely beggared belief, and it took him about 10 seconds to realise why he was getting slated by the City fans (before eventually putting his flag down).

As an aside, was that Colin Cramb I spotted in our end today?

Got to be honest those highlights are pretty poor and if I was a donny fan I would feel aggrieved that they show that few of their chances and so many of ours.

We were poor first half and if it wasn't for flint throwing himself in front of everything we would of been behind.

Second half we were better and the chances evened up.

Ref was shocking (well the lino who tried to flag offside from a throw in and didn't seem to see fouls right in front of him). JET was alright and most of what good we did seemed to come through him, still frustrating at times though.Flint would have headed a brink if it had come anywhere near him. Kane was tidy and could prove a useful player for us. Matt Smith doesn't seem to do a lot but popped up with a goal and put himself about.

The formation seemed a little defensive with kane, smith and elliot in center mid but they grew into the game.

Crowd was flat for majority of the game but fair play to those in the corner who kept trying to get things going.

On a different note I did find it amusing that they had an ale "draught bitter rovers" (ok there was a date after it... But still made me smile.)

Not a vintage away performance by any means today, but the team kept going despite several players having an off day. Fingers crossed we can finish them off in the replay and also get a decent draw in round 4 (please not Leicester away).

But the biggest off day today has to be that linesman in front of us - his decision to flag for offside from a throw in absolutely beggared belief, and it took him about 10 seconds to realise why he was getting slated by the City fans (before eventually putting his flag down).

As an aside, was that Colin Cramb I spotted in our end today?

Yep, he posted on FB that he was going today. Something like 'I'm City til I die but had a great time at Donny'.

Been shown the benefits of more defenders heading away out weigh the benefits of post defenders.

Personally I would have one on each post.

Leave one up front,two defenders marking him,oppo player takes the corner.

That leaves 8 v 7 ( including our keeper) in and around our box.

I fail to see why any team doesn't defend the goal line as much as possible on defensive corners.

Having so many people in the box creates carnage and if there is no outlet on a clearance, it's only going to come straight back at you. It just invites pressure.

The modern game also in loves a lot of counter attacking football and that cannot happen if everyone is crowded in the box. If a couple of your players, i.e wing backs draw out players from the box on defensive corners, it allows the big defenders to clear without as much pressure. Also if the wingback becomes and outlet, it provides that opportunity to counter attack.

Archived