IGNORED

Ched Evans

Real Red

8 minutes ago, LegionOfBrad said:

Would be amazed if the CPS don't charge him again. They may well lose the case (We don't know what this new evidence is, it's not the post trial tweets from the victim) but from an optics perspective to rape victims they will have to go through with another trial. 

Yea i agree with you...but on the flip side if they dont charge him or they lose the retrial there is no rape victim is there

I think it speaks volumes that he pursued to have this appeal so much in the first place.

He has served his time in prison and is now a free man, yet he has risked going to prison yet again for the simple fact that he wants to clear his name.

I honestly cannot see why a man who is guilty of the crime would possibly risk that.

But I guess we shall find out in the end.

21 minutes ago, bend it like brian said:

I have to be really careful what i say on this but if they dont charge him in two weeks the conviction will be overturned interesting developments indeed, be interesting to see what certain people are saying now

Quick google suggests CPS has 2 months for arraignment, and even then if they miss that it's not an automatic direction for acquittal. ?? 

2 minutes ago, bend it like brian said:

Yea i agree with you...but on the flip side if they dont charge him or they lose the retrial there is no rape victim is there

I'm not talking about the girl involved in this case. More rape victims in general who might be put off coming forward if they don't at least try him again. 

11 minutes ago, KingLear said:

I think it speaks volumes that he pursued to have this appeal so much in the first place.

He has served his time in prison and is now a free man, yet he has risked going to prison yet again for the simple fact that he wants to clear his name.

I honestly cannot see why a man who is guilty of the crime would possibly risk that.

Without full aquittal there is no chance he will play football ever again. His career is lost if he does not clear his name. There's your motive - so not sure that 'speaks volumes' as you say

19 minutes ago, KingLear said:

He's not. If convicted on retrial the court can't impose a sentence of greater severity than the original. Otherwise, as you say, it'd be a deterrent to appealing.

I seem to remember originally posting on here saying I don't believe he should be found guilty and getting slated for it. Fact is it's a particularly ambiguous case, and while I 100% agree that what he did was very scummy, I really don't think there was enough evidence to convict, or conversely, there was too much questioning the legitimacy of the evidence. Either way, I sincerely hope that girl isn't put through too much, shows how scummy tribal sports fans can be.

25 minutes ago, Chloe1992 said:

Without full aquittal there is no chance he will play football ever again. His career is lost if he does not clear his name. There's your motive - so not sure that 'speaks volumes' as you say

Well yes obviously, but when setting out his life goals i'm sure 'Stay out of prison' would be higher on the list than 'Play professional football again'.

So yes I would say that risking going back to prison again to clear his name does 'speak volumes'.

20 minutes ago, 29AR said:

He's not. If convicted on retrial the court can't impose a sentence of greater severity than the original. Otherwise, as you say, it'd be a deterrent to appealing.

But he would still go back to prison.......as opposed to not appealing and staying out of prison......which was my point.

41 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Quick google suggests CPS has 2 months for arraignment, and even then if they miss that it's not an automatic direction for acquittal. ?? 

I gathered that what 29AR was saying is that the retrial can't impose a greater sentence than the original trial and thus he's done his time. So he won't be going back to prison if found guilty?

7 minutes ago, KingLear said:

But he would still go back to prison.......as opposed to not appealing and staying out of prison......which was my point.

He's already served his term inside.

49 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Obviously we shall see the outcome but I think it's a mistake to assume that Evans' tenacity in pursuing an appeal gives a clue to his guilt or not.   

Whereas I said earlier that I don't think there's any evidence that the girl lied, I also don't think there's any reason to think Evans is lying either.  I've no doubt whatsoever that he doesn't regard what he did as rape. I think very few people regard themselves as rapists but, because of the grey areas involved it is very possible for someone to commit an act which the victim perceives as rape and a jury perceives as rape and meets the legal definition of rape yet still believe they've done nothing wrong.

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Ok, I must have got the wrong end of the stick then, I assumed as he was being re-tried he could be sent down again for the remainder of his sentence, I stand corrected!

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Obviously we shall see the outcome but I think it's a mistake to assume that Evans' tenacity in pursuing an appeal gives a clue to his guilt or not.   

Whereas I said earlier that I don't think there's any evidence that the girl lied, I also don't think there's any reason to think Evans is lying either.  I've no doubt whatsoever that he doesn't regard what he did as rape. I think very few people regard themselves as rapists but, because of the grey areas involved it is very possible for someone to commit an act which the victim perceives as rape and a jury perceives as rape and meets the legal definition of rape yet still believe they've done nothing wrong.

Yes all very good points, I must admit that I was under the impression that he could be sent back to prison, apparently this is not the case.

So an open question to anyone then, what happens to him if he is once again found guilty?

1 minute ago, KingLear said:

Yes all very good points, I must admit that I was under the impression that he could be sent back to prison, apparently this is not the case.

So an open question to anyone then, what happens to him if he is once again found guilty?

The papers get to call him a rapist again and he walks out of court. He will never play professional football in the UK again. 

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

I'm no lawyer, but has he not served half his sentence and is out on licence/parole?

I have no clue as to sentencing at a new trial, but technically he still has only served half a sentence. Yes?

Without trawling the thread does anyone know what the new evidence was? 

Also is he allowed out of the country now? 

11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I'm no lawyer, but has he not served half his sentence and is out on licence/parole?

I have no clue as to sentencing at a new trial, but technically he still has only served half a sentence. Yes?

Without trawling the thread does anyone know what the new evidence was? 

Also is he allowed out of the country now? 

The new trial cannot alter his sentancing including his parole conditions. He's on unconditional bail pending retrial but his parole conditions likely mean he wouldn't be able to leave the country. His parole would end sometime next year.

The evidence is not out in public.

2 minutes ago, LegionOfBrad said:

The new trial cannot alter his semtancing including his parole conditions. He's on unconditional bail pending retrial but his parole conditions likely mean he wouldn't be able to leave the country. His parole would end sometime next year.

Thanks LoB...Very succinct!

Ok so he is still on parole despite having had the conviction quashed (as opposed to overturned).

The bail relates to the new charge (the same one as has been quashed)

The new evidence as far as anyone is aware could be as much in respect of a technicality of law as anything else (witnesses etc). 

The fact the appeals court made it very clear there should be an immediate retrial makes me think they believe there is still a substantial case to answer, but again I'm no lawyer!?

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Either way, I sincerely hope that girl isn't put through too much, shows how scummy tribal sports fans can be.

The PrisonRapeLol crowd are exactly as reprehensible, they just get let off easier because the general public are sympathetic to victims.

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Thanks LoB...Very succinct!

Ok so he is still on parole despite having had the conviction quashed (as opposed to overturned).

The bail relates to the new charge (the same one as has been quashed)

The new evidence as far as anyone is aware could be as much in respect of a technicality of law as anything else (witnesses etc). 

The fact the appeals court made it very clear there should be an immediate retrial makes me think they believe there is still a substantial case to answer, but again I'm no lawyer!?

Actually just thinking about it he won't be on parole. He is no longer a convicted criminal. So it's just his unconditional bail.

If found guilty again I would guess his parole is reactivated. (About a year to go on that)

I'd also guess he's been taken off the sex offenders register.

29 minutes ago, LegionOfBrad said:

The new trial cannot alter his sentancing including his parole conditions. He's on unconditional bail pending retrial but his parole conditions likely mean he wouldn't be able to leave the country. His parole would end sometime next year.

@LegionOfBrad his conviction has been quashed therefore his sentence doesn't stand, he is a free man unless the plod place any bail conditions on him before his new trial.

1 hour ago, KingLear said:

He's already served his sentence, so if he's found guilty again it's very unlikely he'll serve any extra time at all!

The only thing we can do is trust the legal process. He was charged for rape, so my personal thoughts on the evidence mean very little. The law states he is a rapist.

If his appeal is successful and he is found not guilty in a new trial, then the law states he is not a rapist, and he should be allowed to continue to play football.

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

The only thing we can do is trust the legal process. He was charged for rape, so my personal thoughts on the evidence mean very little. The law states he is a rapist.

If his appeal is successful and he is found not guilty in a new trial, then the law states he is not a rapist, and he should be allowed to continue to play football.

Actually, the law states he isn't a rapist as his conviction has been quashed.

He is however scheduled to go on trial for rape, so only on at the conclusion of that trial can we label the guy. 

Archived