IGNORED

Ched Evans

Real Red

14 minutes ago, SARJ said:

I work with a guy who's mates with Ched's step brother (the guy who filmed everything going on that night). Those who have seen said video said from day 1 he is innocent and the girl clearly consented. Justice has prevailed.

Now if only these had all testified in the first trial complete with said video it could have all been cleared up then!:facepalm:

33 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Agree with what Collis1 said. Ched Evans may have been proven not to be a rapist, but he's still a slimeball who got together with a teammate and cheated on his missus with a barely conscious woman. Hes entitled to continue his career of course but I wouldnt want him at our club. Not a good role model for a footballer.

I wonder how many players we've had that have done exactly that over the years? 

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The CPS pressed charges based on the account she couldn't remember a thing and that Evans admitted having sex with her.

Cheers for that. 

Ummm... but if she was sending lucid and coherent text messages within an hour or so of the event would that not, to some rational person,  indicate a possible slight economy of truth viz her version of events? 

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Looking at the last posts before this come up . And the first few posts since u obviously had an opinion about it . 

The first few posts since what?

Yes I do have an opinion about it and I stated it. 

However we do have a really big game in four hours and this bollox will run and run!

Anything else need clarifying? As I have a football match to think about!

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The girl that cried rape essentially made Evans unemployable once he was convicted and now that conviction has been overturned she walks away without a stain on her character.

She should hang her head in shame.

3 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

The new evidence was from someone who came forward after his team appealed for witnesses and offered a 50k reward for statements given that led to a not guilty verdict. Yet again money has won here and done a massive disservice to victims of sex crimes everywhere. 

We've really got a lot of different views on this. I guess we'll never really know for sure.

31 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Nail on the head.

Queue a barrage of comments from people who think that kind of 'laddish' behavior is acceptable.

No denying he's not a very nice person but that doesn't make him a criminal. And the damage that's been done to his career and reputation is beyond repair. Plenty of 'not very nice' people have been through the doors at Ashton Gate - plenty of them still earning a living here to this day.

I seem to recall some very 'animated' opinion towards people on here (and in the wider world) who thought he was innocent at the time, despite having no more knowledge of the details than anyone else with an opinion.

Perhaps a lesson to be learned by both 'sides' that not everything is always black and white. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The girl that cried rape essentially made Evans unemployable once he was convicted and now that conviction has been overturned she walks away without a stain on her character.

On what basis? A jury hasn't found that she lied and, so far as I can see, she had said from the off she could not remember what had happened. Evans' not guilty verdict doesn't mean she lied. It doesn't even necessarily imply that she did. All it means is a jury felt there was not sufficient evidence to find him guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. No more inference can be drawn than that.

After the original verdict, it wasn't her decision who did or did not employ him.

i'm not so sure she is walking away without a stain on her character but I don't see any reason to assume there should be any stain there in any case.

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

The new evidence was from someone who came forward after his team appealed for witnesses and offered a 50k reward for statements given that led to a not guilty verdict. Yet again money has won here and done a massive disservice to victims of sex crimes everywhere. 

And according to a spokesperson from Women Against Rape it's having lawyers that can around the legal regulations to introduce fresh evidence.

4 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Or it may be a wake up call for woman crying rape.

Look at the trials of the guy who plays Kevin Webster, or Ken Barlow etc.

Potentially ruining lives forcing them to go through a harrowing ordeal.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

It's sounds as though u wanted him to be guilty rob . Ye your right I would of shot him . There are many crimes that get the wrong conviction unfortunately. 

I don't have an opinion either way on if he was/wasn't guilty.

More interested in your firing squad suggestion and when you'd pull the trigger as you said 'all rapists should be shot and killed' and until his conviction was overturned, Evans was guilty of that crime (rightly or wrongly).

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So every person who reports a rape but doesn't then follow through to a successful conviction cries rape do they?

You might well come across as a dick on occasions but I would have thought better of you than to be so thick as to use such wording. Perhaps you may wish to reconsider it. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I don't have an opinion either way on if he was/wasn't guilty.

More interested in your firing squad suggestion and when you'd pull the trigger as you said 'all rapists should be shot and killed' and until his conviction was overturned, Evans was guilty of that crime (rightly or wrongly).

Ye and I told u . Do u agree 

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Indeed. Fwiw, from what I heard at the trial, the new evidence probably did make it impossible for a jury to convict beyond reasonable doubt but it's certainly noteworthy that key witnesses suddenly remembered phrases they'd previously omitted from their testimonies after the reward was mentioned...

Just as we were reminded here  not to refer to Evans as anything other than a convicted rapist before the quashing of his conviction and retrial, it would seem churlish now to refer to him as a rapist who got away and to the girl as a victim in light of what has been decided today.

The jury was aware of the cash incentive when they decided how much weight to give the new evidence. 

As I've said before, from what I've read,  had I been a juror I wouldn't in all honestly think I could convict BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT. 

A slimeball he may be, an imbecile definitely,  but I would have had a nagging worry that the case against him hadn't been 100% proved.

3 minutes ago, SARJ said:

It wasn't rape. Hence she consented. Otherwise he'd be guilty of rape.

He'd be guilty of rape if there was evidence proving him guilty of rape beyond reasonable doubt. Which there was not. But that doesn't prove she consented as that wasn't what the jury were asked to consider. It proves they could not be certain she did not consent, which is a different thing.

23 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

But if that new evidence was tested in a court of law, found to be sound and had a material outcome on the verdict, my conclusion would be pity the poor sods that can't offer such 'rewards' and are wrongly convicted. 

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

She didn't cry rape.  She had no clue what had happened in the morning. It was ONLY when Evans gave his story to the police that the CPS - not the girl in question - took the decesion to charge him for rape.

Archived