IGNORED

Ched Evans

Real Red

Interestingly the grounds for compensation don't seem to include 'new evidence' - thus for compensation to be due there had to have been negligence or such by the state. The only negligence here was by his original defence team who didn't unearth this evidence quick enough.

Agree with what Collis1 said. Ched Evans may have been proven not to be a rapist, but he's still a slimeball who got together with a teammate and cheated on his missus with a barely conscious woman. Hes entitled to continue his career of course but I wouldnt want him at our club. Not a good role model for a footballer.

1 minute ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Agree with what Collis1 said. Ched Evans may have been proven not to be a rapist, but he's still a slimeball who got together with a teammate and cheated on his missus with a barely conscious woman. Hes entitled to continue his career of course but I wouldnt want him at our club. Not a good role model for a footballer.

If you only ever go for morally correct footballers then you're going into dangerously narrow territory. Why should Ched Evans suffer (in this respect) over others just because his was in the public eye and others weren't?

2 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Nail on the head.

Queue a barrage of comments from people who think that kind of 'laddish' behavior is acceptable.

No questioning the bloke is a classless cheating slimeball (and why his Mrs is standing by him I have no idea) but fair play for persevering to clear his name.

11 jurors cleared the man of rape. Whilst the girl had a few bevvies inside her, she clearly wasn't 'out of it' as first claimed, so can everyone stop with the 'barely conscious' comments. She consented. End of.

5 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Nail on the head.

Queue a barrage of comments from people who think that kind of 'laddish' behavior is acceptable.

I don't think anyone thinks it's acceptable he's acted like a**** . But this sort of stuff happens all the time . WRONGLY.  In my eyes and everyone else's eyes a rapist should be shot or killed or any other torture. Scum of the earth. But he's innocent. He's not a rapist 

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I don't think anyone thinks it's acceptable he's acted like a**** . But this sort of stuff happens all the time . WRONGLY.  In my eyes and everyone else's eyes a rapist should be shot or killed or any other torture. Scum of the earth. But he's innocent. He's not a rapist 

Just to be clear. Would you have shot him before or after the appeal as for a couple of years he was guilty.

2 minutes ago, SARJ said:

No questioning the bloke is a classless cheating slimeball (and why his Mrs is standing by him I have no idea) but fair play for persevering to clear his name.

11 jurors cleared the man of rape. Whilst the girl had a few bevvies inside her, she clearly wasn't 'out of it' as first claimed, so can everyone stop with the 'barely conscious' comments. She consented. End of.

I'm not sure anything is clear at all.

All we know is that the jury, perhaps rightly based on the evidence in the second trial, decided they could not be certain he was guilty beyond all reasonable doubt and so went for a "not guilty" verdict.

This is, of course, entirely correct when there is insufficient evidence to be sure of someone's guilt and this of course should be the end of the matter. However that doesn't prove the girl was lying, or that she wasn't out of it. And, contrary to what some have posted, it doesn't even necessarily mean the jury believed Evans to be innocent. It simply means they felt there wasn't sufficient evidence to find him guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. No further inference can be drawn from the verdict beyond that. 

7 minutes ago, SARJ said:

How have you came to that conclusion? The result of this hearing isn't that he hadn't raped her , but that there isn't sufficient evidence to prove he did. Two very different things that maybe you should read up on before making stupid comments like that.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not sure anything is clear at all.

All we know is that the jury, perhaps rightly based on the evidence in the second trial, decided they could not be certain he was guilty beyond all reasonable doubt and so went for a "not guilty" verdict.

This is, of course, entirely correct when there is insufficient evidence to be sure of someone's guilt and this of course should be the end of the matter. However that doesn't prove the girl was lying, or that she wasn't out of it. And, contrary to what some have posted, it doesn't even necessarily mean the jury believed Evans to be innocent. It simply means they felt there wasn't sufficient evidence to find him guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. No further inference can be drawn from the verdict beyond that. 

I work with a guy who's mates with Ched's step brother (the guy who filmed everything going on that night). Those who have seen said video said from day 1 he is innocent and the girl clearly consented. Justice has prevailed.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

But he wasn't guilty rob . I know what you're saying. It's a terrible situation. And only a ***** could be caught in one . No one wins 

But the statement was made that 'all rapists should be shot and killed'.

And, after two and a half years, the conviction has been overturned.

My question is 'when do you pull the trigger?' 

1 minute ago, SARJ said:

I work with a guy who's mates with Ched's step brother (the guy who filmed everything going on that night). Those who have seen said video said from day 1 he is innocent and the girl clearly consented. Justice has prevailed.

He might be innocent and justice might have prevailed. Certainly we have to respect the law and work on the basis he is not guilty of any crime.

My only point is that we cannot infer from the jury's verdict that ched evans has been found to be "innocent" as no jury is ever asked that question and that is never what a jury's verdict sets out to do. It is based solely on whether there is sufficient evidence of guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

Make no mistake, I think the bloke is an utter shite. That said, he must have gone through hell and back for his (now, adjudged legal) sins.

Was 'passive' on this one and certainly didn't join in with the lynch mob brigade. Always had some doubt about the credibility of the prosecution case based on the reported good lady's behaviour.

Personally, I can't wait to view all the tweets and postings from the lynch mobbers apologising for their comments. I won't be holding my breath though.

Have I heard it correctly that it was the CPS that pursued this case without the support of the original accuser? Did I also hear reported that she was texting perfectly sound and rational texts within an hour or so of the event? If so, hopefully CPS heads will roll. They have done a massive disservice to women.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He might be innocent and justice might have prevailed. Certainly we have to respect the law and work on the basis he is not guilty of any crime.

My only point is that we cannot infer from the jury's verdict that ched evans has been found to be "innocent" as no jury is ever asked that question and that is never what a jury's verdict sets out to do. It is based solely on whether there is sufficient evidence of guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

im afraid sense on otib is frowned upon. 

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Make no mistake, I think the bloke is an utter shite. That said, he must have gone through hell and back for his (now, adjudged legal) sins.

Was 'passive' on this one and certainly didn't join in with the lynch mob brigade. Always had some doubt about the credibility of the prosecution case based on the reported good lady's behaviour.

Personally, I can't wait to view all the tweets and postings from the lynch mobbers apologising for their comments. I won't be holding my breath though.

Have I heard it correctly that it was the CPS that pursued this case without the support of the original accuser? Did I also hear reported that she was texting perfectly sound and rational texts within an hour or so of the event? If so, hopefully CPS heads will roll. They have done a massive disservice to women.

The CPS pressed charges based on the account she couldn't remember a thing and that Evans admitted having sex with her.

19 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

If you only ever go for morally correct footballers then you're going into dangerously narrow territory. Why should Ched Evans suffer (in this respect) over others just because his was in the public eye and others weren't?

Youre playing devils advocate and I do see your point... But I just cant condone that sort of behaviour from a professional person who knows that as a footballer, he is very much in the public eye. And im not sure how narrow that territory you refer to is... Of the thousands of professional footballers out there, only a handful have had bad publicity for their behaviour. And BCFC (or any other club) would rightfully be skeptical about signing such a player. I wouldnt want him here, simple as.

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol Rob . Fair point. But if our justice system would of reached the correct decision in the first place . We wouldn't be having this debate. Can't quote u for some reason. 

But faced with the evidence they were presented with, the first jury DID make what they collectively believe was the correct decision. 

Different evidence has resulted in a different verdict. 

Not sure you can haul the jury over the coals for that.

So would you have shot him after the first trial or not, because at that point he had been found guilty of the crime he was charged with by the selected jury. 

Archived