IGNORED

Ched Evans

Real Red

I'd love 2-3 weeks off work, how do I get on a big case?

You joke but I wonder about the people doing the Hillsborough Inquest - it's going to be best part of 2 YEARS off work. In some instances will it be possible to return to work?!

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He is not a rapist anymore.  Sign him up!!

He could be found guilty on the retrial. No club will want him till that's done and dusted.

If Ched  is found innocent I hope he is issued an apology and compensation from our justice system, Sheff Utd, sponsors and the rest.

HOWEVER, reading social media it would seem people are forgetting he must have a re-trial and could still be found guilty of rape.

Just imagine if he is found guilty again, that poor girl and what she must have been through, let alone the ordeal itself (if proven to be true). 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If it is not just quashed, but is going to retrial does that mean that they think there was something wrong with the way the original trial was handled. ( I know I have put this on an open thread, but I think I may be looking at @29AR for a steer on this......

Its been quashed because of new evidence. Which wasn't presented at the original trial. Given said new evidence there was a significant chance he wouldn't have been found guilty so there will be a retrial. We don't know what the new evidence is as it's not been made public but someone has probably run their mouth on twitter about it. 

21 minutes ago, Chloe1992 said:

If Ched  is found innocent I hope he is issued an apology and compensation from our justice system, Sheff Utd, sponsors and the rest.

HOWEVER, reading social media it would seem people are forgetting he must have a re-trial and could still be found guilty of rape.

Just imagine if he is found guilty again, that poor girl and what she must have been through, let alone the ordeal itself (if proven to be true). 

Indeed.  Some important points to consider are:

1) Certainly based on the original case, there's was never any evidence to suggest that the girl lied about what happened.  Simply that she didn't remember and was piecing things together after what she was told later, largely based on Evans' testimony which revealed they'd had sex, which she had no recollection of.  I really hope she doesn't get torn to pieces on social media as, even if Evans is ultimately acquitted, she's done absolutely nothing wrong.

2) Under the British legal system, people are either found guilty or not guilty.  Crucially that's different to guilty or innocent.  Sometimes people may be found not guilty because they are innocent and sometimes people may be found not guilty because there's insufficient evidence to prove guilt.  Of course, in those cases, people have to be treated as innocent but rape, especially after alcohol has been consumed, is a notoriously tough crime to prove.  In many ways, this is as it should be as the British legal system quite rightly demands guilt beyond reasonable doubt and that's incredibly hard in rape cases where actions are subject to interpretation.  However I really hope nobody sees what's happened today as vindication of the utterly disgraceful way Evans' supporters have behaved on social media with respect to this case.  Even if he is ultimately acquitted of any crime in a re-trial, he still is not an individual I'd want anywhere near my club.  

48 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Guilty of rape or not, he'll never clear his name of being a morally reprehensible human being at best!

You can tar a great number of professional footballers with that brush (in fact it almost seems a requirement these days)  but it doesn't make them criminals. 

2 minutes ago, LegionOfBrad said:

Its been quashed because of new evidence. Which wasn't presented at the original trial. Given said new evidence there was a significant chance he wouldn't have been found guilty so there will be a retrial. We don't know what the new evidence is as it's not been made public but someone has probably run their mouth on twitter about it. 

Cheers. One wonders how anyone can get a fair trial these days with social media the way it is. We will have to get jurors from the deepest darkest jungles to ensure they have never had any internet access soon.

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

1) Certainly based on the original case, there's was never any evidence to suggest that the girl lied about what happened.  Simply that she didn't remember and was piecing things together after what she was told later, largely based on Evans' testimony which revealed they'd had sex, which she had no recollection of.  I really hope she doesn't get torn to pieces on social media as, even if Evans is ultimately acquitted, she's done absolutely nothing wrong.

2) Under the British legal system, people are either found guilty or not guilty.  Crucially that's different to guilty or innocent.  Sometimes people may be found not guilty because they are innocent and sometimes people may be found not guilty because there's insufficient evidence to prove guilt.  Of course, in those cases, people have to be treated as innocent but rape, especially after alcohol has been consumed, is a notoriously tough crime to prove.  In many ways, this is as it should be as the British legal system quite rightly demands guilt beyond reasonable doubt and that's incredibly hard in rape cases where actions are subject to interpretation.  However I really hope nobody sees what's happened today as vindication of the utterly disgraceful way Evans' supporters have behaved on social media with respect to this case.  Even if he is ultimately acquitted of any crime in a re-trial, he still is not an individual I'd want anywhere near my club.  

Its too late for that. She has been being torn to pieces since the original trial. Her name is on twitter/googling very easily for those inclined to look. 

Also goes without saying that if acquitted at the next trial he will have a club within 24hrs. As uneasy as that might make supporters feel.

1 minute ago, LegionOfBrad said:

Its too late for that. She has been being torn to pieces since the original trial. Her name is on twitter/googling very easily for those inclined to look. 

Yeah - I know.  I just hope it doesn't all come back up again.  Although I realise, of course, it definitely will.  The idea of being pilloried on social media for the fact you simply can't remember what happened on a particular night utterly, utterly terrifies me. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

100% agree with you here. Nail on the head.

FYI - she is being slaughtered on social media. "Lying s**g" "Knew exactly what she was doing" "Time wasting s**t" - It's not hard to see why around 80% of rape/sexual abuse victims do not come forward. Truly is shocking.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If it is not just quashed, but is going to retrial does that mean that they think there was something wrong with the way the original trial was handled. ( I know I have put this on an open thread, but I think I may be looking at @29AR for a steer on this......

Crim law I'm really unfamiliar with I'm afraid. The CoA to my knowledge has two options when quashing: they can direct aquittal or 'if it's in the interest of justice' can order a retrial. I guess maybe the feeling is it raises an element of doubt, but not so much so that a jury could not reasonably find him guilty on retrial.

24 minutes ago, LegionOfBrad said:

He is a virgin ...

perhaps .

8 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Oh Really? There is new evidence that has come to light after the conviction, why on Earth would they order a re-trial unless this new evidence wasn't good enough for a Jury quash the verdict? 

Take a look at 29AR's post above, it seems there is enough for a retrial but not enough to quash the conviction completely.

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Oh Really? There is new evidence that has come to light after the conviction, why on Earth would they order a re-trial unless this new evidence wasn't good enough for a Jury quash the verdict? 

Because the new evidence might not neccesarily prove his innocence only prove that there were inconsistencies in the original trials handling, hence a re-trial.

so at the moment he's in no mans land, so i too doubt if anyone would touch him with a barge pole.

17 minutes ago, NeilS said:

If it was that convincing he'd have had it quashed full stop. 

14 minutes ago, bend it like brian said:

I have to be really careful what i say on this but if they dont charge him in two weeks the conviction will be overturned interesting developments indeed, be interesting to see what certain people are saying now

Would be amazed if the CPS don't charge him again. They may well lose the case (We don't know what this new evidence is, it's not the post trial tweets from the victim) but from an optics perspective to rape victims they will have to go through with another trial. 

Archived