IGNORED

David Lloyd Statement

Dave L

Dave,If your work on here has been that solely of messenger, I genuinely have sympathy for you.However, I have always had the impression that many - not all - of the views you have expressed have been yours as much as the clubs, a view confirmed by affirmation that you were right behind the "Ultras" decision.In that respect, it gives the impression of working against the fans rather than with them. Even if you agree with some of the actions which many feel are frankly nonsensical, I really do think you could have helped your case with a more empathetic attitude. Your replies to the Ultras questions were a shambles - in my opinion - and that is not the first time.I have in my own warped sense of humour started a topic with my thoughts on the opposite side of the coin, so to speak, and I am certain that my post will be "liked" by some but I will be ridiculed by others, which will eventually slip into abuse, including from a current Bristol Sport employee, if other recent threads are anything to go by.So I have sympathy for your decision - if it was your decision - but this is the nature of the internet, people say things to you me and anyone else in a manner which they would not dream of doing face to face, and I recognize that. I am guilty of it myself sometimes, and it is to the credit of you that you seem to be able to avoid crossing that line, as do many others. I have had raging battles on here with posters who have gone on to become very good friends when we have subsequently met up.Bristol City supporters have a passion which is not widely recognized outside of this city; posts critical of you are not really aimed at you but frustration at the sanitisation of our club.Chin up.

You don't speak for me, sunshine.

Which seem a good reason to not put your views on a flag. Still seems a bit odd that you think it'll make a difference what you put in writing. What do you expect them to do? Tut at you in mild disapproval?

Hmmm... I think your missing the point, the context was airing your views on an Internet forum which sometimes may get heated but is anonymous or now having to correspond with the club by e-mail or writing in which case the club will know who you are. Dave Lloyd has obviously been upset by some of the vitriol on here and quite plainly disagrees as do bristol sport,with the views held by many on here. If the bristol sport decides going forward they do not want certain fans groups at the new Ashton gate then banning by association with said views could be implemented. The flag nonsense is just another step in a long line of incidents I.e the stupid flag waving squares, the fire resistant surfer flag fiasco, the triple searches on the east end turnstiles only, over the top stewarding in the east end, see the picture?

Hmmm... I think your missing the point, the context was airing your views on an Internet forum which sometimes may get heated but is anonymous or now having to correspond with the club by e-mail or writing in which case the club will know who you are. Dave Lloyd has obviously been upset by some of the vitriol on here and quite plainly disagrees as do bristol sport,with the views held by many on here. If the bristol sport decides going forward they do not want certain fans groups at the new Ashton gate then banning by association with said views could be implemented. The flag nonsense is just another step in a long line of incidents I.e the stupid flag waving squares, the fire resistant surfer flag fiasco, the triple searches on the east end turnstiles only, over the top stewarding in the east end, see the picture?

I'm not missing the point.  The point is a silly one and a ridiculous leap from what's gone on so far.  I think the only valuable words in what you've written are "if" and "could".  There's zero evidence that this is going to happen and you'd need to be pretty paranoid ot see it as a logical conclusion from what has happened so far. 

I'm not missing the point. The point is a silly one and a ridiculous leap from what's gone on so far. I think the only valuable words in what you've written are "if" and "could". There's zero evidence that this is going to happen and you'd need to be pretty paranoid ot see it as a logical conclusion from what has happened so far.

Of course it's silly, it's intentionally silly, it's as silly as banning the word ultras from Ashton gate.

I've no doubt some minion from Bristol sport is reading all these topics and reporting back to the powers that be that the fans are paranoid whackos. Meanwhile in a darkened office the master plan for the sanitisation of Ashton gate gathers pace.

As someone who has recently posed some questions to Dave, in which we've had our disagreements, I feel it's only right for me to comment on this.

For a long time I thought Dave was doing a sterling job on here, but the last 12-18 months or so have very much gone backwards and it is my opinion that Dave's role was not what it once was (whether this was his own doing, or that of his employers, I don't know?)  I have been feeling that Dave has lost the 'Liaison' side of his role, and instead has mostly been portraying his 'own' opinion on matters.

For me, this is not what his role should be.  He should be relaying the views of the fans to the board / club, and then relaying the clubs views back, acting as a conduit twixt the two, being an enabler for dialogue between the fans and the club / board, allowing fans to challenge back on the responses given.  It is my opinion that, one way or another, Dave became too close to the club and is no longer the 'go-between', but now the unfortunate mouthpiece.  It's disappointing that he's stumbled into the 'Yes Man' role.

Am I disappointed to see Dave remove himself from the forum?  Damn right I am.  He's done some good things for a lot of people over the years.

Do I feel it is right that Dave remove himself from the forum?  Absolutely not.  Let's not forget that this is not a voluntary role - Dave is paid and employed by the club. I've written a fair few job descriptions in my time, and as an employee, I'd like to think that within Dave's job description as 'Fans Liaison Officer', one of his Key Accountabilities would be to engage with the largest online presence of supporters.  It is wrong that he will no longer be satisfying what should be one of the most essential elements of the role.

Yes, we can still phone, email or meet Dave, but one very quick and easy form of contact has now been removed, and it is to the detriment of the club and to Dave's role.

It's a shame that the fans liaison officer feels that he is unable to communicate via the most effective method of liaising with his customers.

Yes, people still have the option of email, phone and face to face meetings, but I can't see if Dave has answered a similar query I may have if thr communication is not in the public domain.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the Q & A section - yes some of the questions could be banal ( Dave where is my ticket - I don't ******* know - ring the bastard ticket office), but there were the odd question that was genuinely interesting , and sometimes, an answer to suit.

I think it's a good idea for Dave to remove himself from the forum. I've felt sorry for him for a long time, whenever the board make a mistake he would get the flack whether he agreed with it or not.

The problem is a stupid decision would be made and no one is being told whether it's the board, bristol sport, Steve Lansdown or the stadium manager making the decision so Dave would just get hung out to dry.

Dave seems to do a lot of good work for the club which I think he should continue doing but the way fans communicate with the people at the top needs looking at, how to improve it I'm not to sure.

I liked the idea of having an elected fans representative to bridge the gap between fans and 'suits'.

I think Bristol sport need to be more open with how and why they make decisions.

As someone who has recently posed some questions to Dave, in which we've had our disagreements, I feel it's only right for me to comment on this.

For a long time I thought Dave was doing a sterling job on here, but the last 12-18 months or so have very much gone backwards and it is my opinion that Dave's role was not what it once was (whether this was his own doing, or that of his employers, I don't know?)  I have been feeling that Dave has lost the 'Liaison' side of his role, and instead has mostly been portraying his 'own' opinion on matters.

For me, this is not what his role should be.  He should be relaying the views of the fans to the board / club, and then relaying the clubs views back, acting as a conduit twixt the two, being an enabler for dialogue between the fans and the club / board, allowing fans to challenge back on the responses given.  It is my opinion that, one way or another, Dave became too close to the club and is no longer the 'go-between', but now the unfortunate mouthpiece.  It's disappointing that he's stumbled into the 'Yes Man' role.

Am I disappointed to see Dave remove himself from the forum?  Damn right I am.  He's done some good things for a lot of people over the years.

Do I feel it is right that Dave remove himself from the forum?  Absolutely not.  Let's not forget that this is not a voluntary role - Dave is paid and employed by the club. I've written a fair few job descriptions in my time, and as an employee, I'd like to think that within Dave's job description as 'Fans Liaison Officer', one of his Key Accountabilities would be to engage with the largest online presence of supporters.  It is wrong that he will no longer be satisfying what should be one of the most essential elements of the role.

Yes, we can still phone, email or meet Dave, but one very quick and easy form of contact has now been removed, and it is to the detriment of the club and to Dave's role.

Can't agrue with that..

This is fairly disappointing all round. Disappointing that someone can be chased off the forum by the agenda of a few posters, but equally disappointing that the 'Fans Liaison Officer' thinks its appropriate to quit the most populous BCFC forum because a few people have given him some grief (the majority of which hasn't been personal, some of which has). No one really looks good here, do they?

This is fairly disappointing all round. Disappointing that someone can be chased off the forum by the agenda of a few posters, but equally disappointing that the 'Fans Liaison Officer' thinks its appropriate to quit the most populous BCFC forum because a few people have given him some grief (the majority of which hasn't been personal, some of which has). No one really looks good here, do they?

This has been done to death but it is/was his job to liase between us and Bristol Sport.

We have listened to some of the absolute shit that Bristol Sport have wanted us to hear and we have communicated straight back some of the absolute shit that we want them to hear.

Apart from any personal abuse Dave himself received, the content was really nothing to do with him.

Imo, he is neglecting the duty of his job but there we go.

Wish I could just drop aspects of my job I don't much like.

This has been done to death but it is/was his job to liase between us and Bristol Sport.

We have listened to some of the absolute shit that Bristol Sport have wanted us to hear and we have communicated straight back some of the absolute shit that we want them to hear.

Apart from any personal abuse Dave himself received, the content was really nothing to do with him.

Imo, he is neglecting the duty of his job but there we go.

Wish I could just drop aspects of my job I don't much like.

Totally agree.

Its by the by now but being on this forum is a big part of his Role IMO.

Bristol Sport/the board need to be very careful, forget what is happening on the pitch off it things are looking increasingly precarious.

I think that when people make accusations of abusive posts about dl they are reffering to me ! Despite what most people think, I have no particular agenda against dl. Rather I have a agenda against his role! If he was to hang up his microphone and flounce off tomorrow the person who replaced him would be just as bad. Because the board ( or Bristol sport or whoever runs the club nowadays ) would only appoint another yes man! ;abolish this position and replace it with a supporters representative on the board! Democratically elected by the fans. Accountable to the fans and with full access to everything that goes on. Don't fob us off with place men who do little for the fans apart from occasionally posting the ticket office number on this forum!

Archived