IGNORED

David Lloyd Statement

Dave L

People can still ask questions and get answers by ringing, emailing or attending the many supporter groups that the club holds.

I've always said that the biggest problem with this forum is the total anonymity of it, that some posters abuse.

But answers won't be publically visible.

Dave

The Forum will be poorer without you. 

You'll doubtless have been under pressure for a few days. Can't have been easy.

I think your time on here will have familiarised you with the diverse strands of opinion amongst City fans. You'll by now be able to weigh up which have substance and which are just so much hot air and wishful thinking. At least you won't be bothered with the latter any more.

On a personal note many thanks for the kind words you posted on behalf of the club when my brother Martyn died. Much appreciated and not forgotten.

• Admin

But there isn't much to be paranoid about that's the whole point

The flag thing is stupid, but what else is there?

A new ground? Really stinks of playing in blue and changing our name doesn't it,

Some blue on a banner? Guess what we share a ground with Bristol rugby the bade and kit is blue there is going to be some about

If you think these minor things are bad just think what it would be like with a foreign owner

At least ours is a fan of the club

Some of the conspiracy stuff on here makes Area 51 and Roswell look like a cake walk

How about the so called 10% less sales in an unreserved section, that was proven to be BS

I haven't seen any unacceptable abuse aimed at Dave, personally.

But he must have known he was going to get some stick over the whole "ultras" thing as his response was frankly, ridiculous and factually incorrect.

There are ways of delivering "bad news" to your "customers" and his response to Eastend Wurzel was not a good example of how to do it.

Chivs

You missed out that you can email him, but obviously that would have spoilt your point.

No modern company uses email to liaise with their customers.  It's so last century, metaphorically and literally.

However, strictly speaking you are right.  Dave is still available on the Internet via email.

I guess I could email him (again).  And get ignored (again).

Bristol City (or is it Bristol Sport) must be the only organisation worldwide that think a person, who's main role is to liaise with it's customers, would be better off not using the Internet.  :facepalm:

Although reassured to know that I can attend a fans' meeting in Bristol (no where near where I live) or get hold of Dave on matchdays (though obviously not just before the game, at half time, or just after the game) to be liaised at.

You can still phone or email him though Chivs!

The point about the internet and its reach is a good one though.

This forum has 12,500+ members (plus thousands more visitors who browse it as guests) and during periods of great interest can have up to 8,500+ members viewing the site at any one time. It generates 4.5-5 million page views per month. It is probably the third most visited Bristol-based website, after only 'This is Bristol' and the football club's own official site. This forum is moderated on a voluntary basis, which is a thankless task, yet does catch most personal abuse.

Whilst possibly not truly representative of the wider fan base, it would be an opportunity missed for the football club not to engage with it. I see that Adam Baker no longer posts much these days either. Maybe Twitter and Facebook is where it's at these days.

At a time of greatest change in the Club's history, I find this a little bizarre. Effective 'Change Management' normally requires all available lines of communication to be open and for issues raised to be addressed immediately and thoroughly. This action is doing the opposite.

SL/JL have generally been magnificent in the way they have engaged with supporters to date, as has Dave. Its all gone a little pear-shaped in recent weeks, seemingly, coinciding with Bristol Sport adopting a higher profile.

Anyhow's not the end of the world and nobody has died. Dave, your past contributions on here have been helpful and informative. To the good men in suits at Bristol Sport ... try building bridges not walls.

COYRs

Over the past couple of weeks I have developed a very cautious approach towards Bristol Sport and this just adds to it.

I feel they are trying to distance themselves from the traditional fanbase and I don't believe their side of the bubblegate story either.

Dave's a good bloke and I have nothing against him, but I don't think leaving the forum is the answer.

Dave looked forward to the ensuing debate so much he's packed in rather than answer anymore tricky questions. I think he knows a major bollocks been dropped and has got out of the firing line.

All well and good saying e-mail or phone but that's pretty easy to ignore untill the dust settles. Be careful with e-mailing thoughts about ultras and the like as bristol sport might decide your not the type of fan required in the new utopia.

Genuinely regret this. As one of the strongest critics of the way BCFC has failed to react to fans' criticisms and questions, I have always said that Dave L has done his best to get through to club management. The fact that it often hasn't happened or has happened after delays and obstruction by the club is not Dave's fault. He has passed on promises by the club which the club has then failed to keep, which has put him in an impossible position.

Dave L has always listened to the fans. The club has not always listened to him, or at least not acted on it.

Dave looked forward to the ensuing debate so much he's packed in rather than answer anymore tricky questions. I think he knows a major bollocks been dropped and has got out of the firing line.

All well and good saying e-mail or phone but that's pretty easy to ignore untill the dust settles. Be careful with e-mailing thoughts about ultras and the like as bristol sport might decide your not the type of fan required in the new utopia.

Are you suggesting e-maiIing from an address other than that registered with the club?

I've not heard anything about Bristol Sport deliberately excluding fans who disagree with them.  Do you have any actual evidence to back up that or is this a tin foil hat type of thing?

What depresses me is that the fan engagement and atmosphere around the club is much, much better than two or three years ago and a couple of minor things that the board have got wrong are utterly poisoning things (on this board at least - I suspect the majority of people who come to games don't give two hoots about views on otib or what words are being displayed on flags).

I don't disagree that the board have made their mistakes but I do think the perspective on things has flown out of the window. 

Have always believed the abuse aimed at you and often the club is completely out of order and unfair. You have always tried to help and honestly seem like a genuinely nice person who cares about the club and it's fans.

So I'd just like to extend this imaginery hand to you in thanks for all your help over the years. Cheers Dave!

Sad to see you had to leave and a shame really that people can't be more respectful.

At a time of greatest change in the Club's history, I find this a little bizarre. Effective 'Change Management' normally requires all available lines of communication to be open and for issues raised to be addressed immediately and thoroughly. This action is doing the opposite.

SL/JL have generally been magnificent in the way they have engaged with supporters to date, as has Dave. Its all gone a little pear-shaped in recent weeks, seemingly, coinciding with Bristol Sport adopting a higher profile.

Anyhow's not the end of the world and nobody has died. Dave, your past contributions on here have been helpful and informative. To the good men in suits at Bristol Sport ... try building bridges not walls.

COYRs

I think part of it is a two way thing, lots of fans appear to want Bristol sport to fail so that they can moan/slag it off/say "i told you so". Bristol sport may be building the walls but those fans are passing them the bricks

I've always liked Dave - he seems a nice chap & has always tried his best in my opinion. However the club can't have a Fans Liaison Officer that doesn't liaise / isn't allowed to liaise anymore. That's just ridiculous.

It's a bit like the Customer Service Manager in M&S saying that they aren't going to deal with customers anymore because they are fed up of being moaned / shouted at.

At the end of the day if Dave doesn't feel he can do the job any longer or doesn't want to do the job then that is fair enough and good luck to him going forward. Maybe the Fans Liaison role is just not for him anymore. However I don't see how he can continue to do the job but refuse to get involved with one of the biggest parts of the fan base that he is paid to deal with. Surely his position is untenable - if he was in a shop and this happened he would be moved on so to speak.

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh as that was not my intention and I genuinely feel sorry for Dave if people have got abusive or personal with him.

Good luck for the future Dave.

I've not heard anything about Bristol Sport deliberately excluding fans who disagree with them. Do you have any actual evidence to back up that or is this a tin foil hat type of thing?

If you have a flag with bristol City ultras on it,by bristol sports logic you are associating yourself with the ultra movement, bristol sport declared they are against any association with the word ultras therefore you and your flag are not welcome at Ashton gate.

Dave

I personally would like to thank you for the time you have given helping many fans and with concerns on the forum. It's a shame certain posters have made that impossible now with their actions.

I hope in time you return but respect and understand your decision.

Thanks for all you have done, from one appreciated supporter.

If you have a flag with bristol City ultras on it,by bristol sports logic you are associating yourself with the ultra movement, bristol sport declared they are against any association with the word ultras therefore you and your flag are not welcome at Ashton gate.

That appears to actually be you interpreting Bristol Sports' logic.  Not necessarily the same thing as their logic.  So I take it there's no evidence they're banning fans who disagree with them then?

That appears to actually be you interpreting Bristol Sports' logic. Not necessarily the same thing as their logic. So I take it there's no evidence they're banning fans who disagree with them then?

I didn't say they have, I said be careful what you say in correspondence as a certain viewpoint might not be what Bristol sport want in the new stadium

I didn't say they have, I said be careful what you say in correspondence as a certain viewpoint might not be what Bristol sport want in the new stadium

Which seem a good reason to not put your views on a flag.  Still seems a bit odd that you think it'll make a difference what you put in writing.  What do you expect them to do?  Tut at you in mild disapproval?

Archived