IGNORED

Cricket World Cup

Super

Usain Bolt, Sir Viv Richards, Bob Marley, Brian Lara, your boys took one hell of a beating today!

But it's bittersweet as no doubt we'll continue to be ignored by the ICC and test nations even we get out of the group (again).

Full credit to the Irish stunning run chase.

Ireland deserve to have a chance at test status, they've continually performed at ODI level for a while now.  Well done to George Dockrell with 3 wickets.

T20 and all its razzmatazz has utterly ruined the West Indies.

Ireland deserve to have a chance at test status, they've continually performed at ODI level for a while now.  Well done to George Dockrell with 3 wickets.

T20 and all its razzmatazz has utterly ruined the West Indies.

Surprised Pollard can't make that team or is he just a T20 player?

Surprised Pollard can't make that team or is he just a T20 player?

Pollard and Dwayne Bravo were left out due to their role in the player revolt on the India tour last year. They've basically been made examples of to the detriment of Windies chances in the World Cup

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/12/chris-gayle-west-indies-world-cup-squad

Pollard and Dwayne Bravo were left out due to their role in the player revolt on the India tour last year. They've basically been made examples of to the detriment of Windies chances in the World Cup

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/12/chris-gayle-west-indies-world-cup-squad

Madness. Can't help but feel that having such an inexperienced captain didn't help their cause either. The senior players weren't exactly falling over themselves to help him out with advice or create some energy in the field. Apart from the death bowling (hard enough even when you have world class bowlers) and a few jitters at the end of our innings we totally outplayed them. Ireland need to make sure they go on and beat UAE and Zimbabwe now, they're very capable of winning both and if they do it'll almost certainly put them through.

Obviously the ICC aren't keen on having them around and most of the full member nations aren't keen on playing them but if they keep getting through the world cup groups they may have to stop ignoring them at some point. Just nine ODI internationals against test teams in four years is absolutely shocking to be honest. Clearly the ICC and the test teams have no interest in growing the game. It was interesting to see the muted celebrations from Ireland, it wasn't like Pakistan or England at previous world cups, a sure sign of progress.

Madness. Can't help but feel that having such an inexperienced captain didn't help their cause either. The senior players weren't exactly falling over themselves to help him out with advice or create some energy in the field. Apart from the death bowling (hard enough even when you have world class bowlers) and a few jitters at the end of our innings we totally outplayed them. Ireland need to make sure they go on and beat UAE and Zimbabwe now, they're very capable of winning both and if they do it'll almost certainly put them through.

Obviously the ICC aren't keen on having them around and most of the full member nations aren't keen on playing them but if they keep getting through the world cup groups they may have to stop ignoring them at some point. Just nine ODI internationals against test teams in four years is absolutely shocking to be honest. Clearly the ICC and the test teams have no interest in growing the game. It was interesting to see the muted celebrations from Ireland, it wasn't like Pakistan or England at previous world cups, a sure sign of progress.

Perhaps the ECB are blocking Ireland's move to test status because Ireland is such a rich seam if players for our team?!?!

I think the problem is that there's little public interest (at this stage) in a test series with Ireland (or, for that matter, with Afghanistan or even Bangladesh or Zimbabwe) and so it's seen as something that would merely extend the time between series against the teams that can generate revenue. Personally I think that for the future of cricket, horizons need to be expanded and Ireland could be one of those horizons. I imagine though that the ICC will see more potential in Asian nations than in Ireland, where cricket is not really that big a sport

Perhaps the ECB are blocking Ireland's move to test status because Ireland is such a rich seam if players for our team?!?!

I think the problem is that there's little public interest (at this stage) in a test series with Ireland (or, for that matter, with Afghanistan or even Bangladesh or Zimbabwe) and so it's seen as something that would merely extend the time between series against the teams that can generate revenue. Personally I think that for the future of cricket, horizons need to be expanded and Ireland could be one of those horizons. I imagine though that the ICC will see more potential in Asian nations than in Ireland, where cricket is not really that big a sport

All true, but Ireland have been the best Associate nation for about ten years now, and ten of the eleven that took the field yesterday came through the Irish system. Fair enough there were a few experienced ringers supplemented by Irish lads in 2007, but yesterday we put out ten Irish-born players, probably more than some Test nations will field throughout this tournament. I honestly don't know what more they can do at this stage. They've arguably done more than Zimbabwe or even Bangladesh over the last few years and haven't even been given the reward of a couple of ODI series a year against Test sides. Imagine what they might do given regular games against the big boys. Regardless of the game's standing in Ireland or the potential market, if an extended period of excellence (at the level they're operating) such as this isn't recognised and rewarded in any sport then what is the point?

All true, but Ireland have been the best Associate nation for about ten years now, and ten of the eleven that took the field yesterday came through the Irish system. Fair enough there were a few experienced ringers supplemented by Irish lads in 2007, but yesterday we put out ten Irish-born players, probably more than some Test nations will field throughout this tournament. I honestly don't know what more they can do at this stage. They've arguably done more than Zimbabwe or even Bangladesh over the last few years and haven't even been given the reward of a couple of ODI series a year against Test sides. Imagine what they might do given regular games against the big boys. Regardless of the game's standing in Ireland or the potential market, if an extended period of excellence (at the level they're operating) such as this isn't recognised and rewarded in any sport then what is the point?

Don't get me wrong- I agree with you and it would be in crickets best interests to try and bring through more nations to the 'top tier'. I just think that the powers that be are probably more focused on the potential markets in some of the Asian countries. That's not to say that that's right or fair

All true, but Ireland have been the best Associate nation for about ten years now, and ten of the eleven that took the field yesterday came through the Irish system. Fair enough there were a few experienced ringers supplemented by Irish lads in 2007, but yesterday we put out ten Irish-born players, probably more than some Test nations will field throughout this tournament. I honestly don't know what more they can do at this stage. They've arguably done more than Zimbabwe or even Bangladesh over the last few years and haven't even been given the reward of a couple of ODI series a year against Test sides. Imagine what they might do given regular games against the big boys. Regardless of the game's standing in Ireland or the potential market, if an extended period of excellence (at the level they're operating) such as this isn't recognised and rewarded in any sport then what is the point?

Hi,

I 'liked' you, but wanted simply to add something further.

Please ignore all PC comments, but it seems that competitive international cricket has leaned exclusively over the past few years to supporting the 'colonies' - we must help them etc., even if there might be better cricketing nations on our doorstep - Ireland, Netherlands?

Sad? Yes, but this is today's world.

Hi,

Please ignore all PC comments, but it seems that competitive international cricket has leaned exclusively over the past few years to supporting the 'colonies' - we must help them etc., even if there might be better cricketing nations on our doorstep - Ireland, Netherlands?

I think 'the colonies' have just as much say in international cricket as we do Phil, what with this being the 21st Century and all. Plus, the colonies seem to be decidedly better at the game than we are anyway...

Don't get me wrong- I agree with you and it would be in crickets best interests to try and bring through more nations to the 'top tier'. I just think that the powers that be are probably more focused on the potential markets in some of the Asian countries. That's not to say that that's right or fair

I'd say you're probably right. It's just very frustrating. Another factor is that yesterday the Irish fans outnumbered the West Indian fans. Now I know that there are Irish people living all over the world, particularly in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, so you'd have to say that there's a strong chance of the Irish fans putting bums on seats for many future tournaments if the national side is involved. I don't know what kind of crowds the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe get, but there is definite potential there for big crowds, and not just in Ireland.

Hi,

Ahh but isn't Ireland the oldest British colony?  :thumbsup:

To be fair to the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, even they don't get to play that many games against top sides. The whole thing stinks as far as I'm concerned. England, Australia and India fencing off more power and influence for themselves won't help either.

Back on topic, (apologies for going off on one) England should still be able to get out of the group. Losing to the Aussies is no great disgrace, although perhaps the performance was. They should be more than capable of beating Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Scotland and once it gets to the knockouts you never know. I don't think Sri Lanka have been pulling up trees lately either. They lost at home to South Africa last year and got trounced in India. Ok they also beat England back then, but in very different conditions.

I'd say you're probably right. It's just very frustrating. Another factor is that yesterday the Irish fans outnumbered the West Indian fans. Now I know that there are Irish people living all over the world, particularly in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, so you'd have to say that there's a strong chance of the Irish fans putting bums on seats for many future tournaments if the national side is involved. I don't know what kind of crowds the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe get, but there is definite potential there for big crowds, and not just in Ireland.

To be fair to the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, even they don't get to play that many games against top sides. The whole thing stinks as far as I'm concerned. England, Australia and India fencing off more power and influence for themselves won't help either.

Back on topic, (apologies for going off on one) England should still be able to get out of the group. Losing to the Aussies is no great disgrace, although perhaps the performance was. They should be more than capable of beating Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Scotland and once it gets to the knockouts you never know. I don't think Sri Lanka have been pulling up trees lately either. They lost at home to South Africa last year and got trounced in India. Ok they also beat England back then, but in very different conditions.

That was intended to be my poorly-explained point (with acknowledgement to Chipdawg).

The 'successful' (in cricketing terms - but where numerous 'Brits' served/worked) colonies appear to have been well-supported, but the remainder appear to have been left to prosper as best they can - with limited support from the now successful countries. 

That was intended to be my poorly-explained point (with acknowledgement to Chipdawg).

The 'successful' (in cricketing terms - but where numerous 'Brits' served/worked) colonies appear to have been well-supported, but the remainder appear to have been left to prosper as best they can - with limited support from the now successful countries. 

Apologies, I misread your post. 

Can't argue. It looks a closed shop to me but perhaps I'm just bitter.

I guarantee we'll lose at least one of those, and another one will be a nail biter

This is England

Poor Scotland. Be nice if they got a half decent total and made a game of it at least.

Was a crucial toss to win with it swinging all over shop early on. In the end NZ were sweating so fair play to the Scots lads with the cherry

I'd love to see New Zealand to win this.  Obviously I want us to but that's simply not going to happen.  Under Brendon McCullum they've turned into a hard nosed bunch of winners.  There are some top class players in their team (ie Williamson, McCullum (B), Corey Anderson, Ronchi, Boult, Vettori) and lots of experience and they have the advantage of being at home.   Pleased with the 4/1 I got, though worried that someone like India or Pakistan will turn up in the quarter finals on the day and knock them out - the Westpac in Wellington is a strange cricket venue.

I'd love to see New Zealand to win this.  Obviously I want us to but that's simply not going to happen.  Under Brendon McCullum they've turned into a hard nosed bunch of winners.  There are some top class players in their team (ie Williamson, McCullum (B), Corey Anderson, Ronchi, Boult, Vettori) and lots of experience and they have the advantage of being at home.   Pleased with the 4/1 I got, though worried that someone like India or Pakistan will turn up in the quarter finals on the day and knock them out - the Westpac in Wellington is a strange cricket venue.

Absolutely - got a great team and would love to see them turn the Aussie's and Saffers over

Think it's SA's to lose though

I'd like to see them win it for Vettori who's been criminally underatted as a player IMO - if he played for Aus/India he'd be lorded upon. OK he's not as good as he was at his peak but still..

Archived