Midland Hotel

Don John's Cross

Scotsman and his Pack

General Elliot

White Horse

Plume of Feathers

Spring Gardens

and soon to be Beaufort Montpelier :(

I used to work for Hilti and our place was right opposite the King Charles, needless to say lunch times and after work was spent in there, the food was good then too.  That was in the Seventies,    Great days and nights.

Sad isn't it. Add to it.

The Friendship

The inns court

The park house

The red lion.

The 3 lamps.

The bush.

I have a book on totterdown and knowle. There was so something like 20 pubs just in those two areas.

I lived in Oxford Street and you could do a pub crawl in a few blocks.  My local was the New Found Out on the corner of Henry Street and Green Street, the Landlord, not manager in those days used to book extension's in block for every Saturday night until 12 midnight.  It was always someones Birthday.

Terrahawks and the Pink Panther Show on school holiday mornings then Pebble Mill at One then no TV on BBC in the afternoon.

<Clipped Home Counties voiceover>

"The time is just coming up to thirteen minutes past one. BBC 2 is closing down now, but we'll be back at six o'clock this evening when we say "Hooray for Harold Lloyd!" and then join Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and Triptaka as they continue their quest for the Holy Buddhist Scriptures in India. but for the next five hours, enjoy pages from Ceefax and some inoffensive lift music."  

I think you're right as it goes.

Anyone else remember "Round the Twist" and the pretty weird & un-nerving "Chocky"???

I used to fancy the girl from RTT when I were a nipper - the original actress, think they replaced her with a right munter for later series - she may have briefly appeared in Neighbours too.

Choccy was pretty strange. We read the book in English class and then, for reasons best known to our English teacher, had to write an open letter to Choccy.

"Dear Choccy..."

compass club

the 400 club

clairs

paradise castle

casa marina

all night clubs in torquay. not forgetting the rising sun pub in Belgrade road that was the only pub in torquay that was serving natch in the early 70s!!!!!!

And the end of the night takeaway at the rib,n'fry or the burger van at torre railway station!!

F Troop and George of the Jungle.

Adam Adamant. Combat. The Brothers. The Virginian. 

All those sets of cards we used to collect and swap at Primary School - The Monkees, 2nd World War, Batman, Joke cards.

Man from U.N.C.L.E. bullet hole stickers to put on unsuspecting car windows.

Johnny 7 -  the only boy in our class who had one was very popular.

Tormenting elderly neighbours playing Knockout Ginger.

Discbat.

Anyone remember the delicacy that all Indian Restaurants served up until the mid nineties-ish, often with poppadoms, the wonderfully fragrant Bombay Duck (which was a fish).  They were temporarily banned by the EU, but a campaign around the early 2000s got that over-ruled, but I think I have only found them once in an Indian restaurant/takeaway since they were re-instated (in Wareham in Dorset oddly enough!)

Apparently the chef's hated cooking them which is why they never really got re-introduced even after the ban, so they seem to have skipped a generation.  You can still buy them (for cooking) at The Sweet Mart in St Marks Road in Easton.

I've been out of Bristol a few years, sad to hear about the demise of so many pubs. Used to drink in the Scotchman, the Bush, the Plume and The White Horse (St Michaels Hill & WoT not sure which one has closed?)

The White Horse/Hoss/Hole in the Wall, W-O-T has just reopened as a gastro pub.

You'd go along way to find an old pub with more character, and characters, until it was extended in the early '80's, but the EP had a story at the time that the alternative was a supermarket.

Apparently they will have 6 ales on offer in the snug and the hatch next door, but from what I've seen of the extensive redecoration from peering through the window - not sure I could bear to go back in - the character of the old place has been obliterated. :no:

The White Horse/Hoss/Hole in the Wall, W-O-T has just reopened as a gastro pub.

You'd go along way to find an old pub with more character, and characters, until it was extended in the early '80's, but the EP had a story at the time that the alternative was a supermarket.

Apparently they will have 6 ales on offer in the snug and the hatch next door, but from what I've seen of the extensive redecoration from peering through the window - not sure I could bear to go back in - the character of the old place has been obliterated. :no:

Oh no. That is a cracking shame. It had bags of character especially loved the little side rooms with the take out servery counter :(

Ale straight out the barrel not many places did that. We've lost the Phoenix that used to do that although reopened with all the character taken out.

Others that used to do straight out the barrel are :

Myrtle Tree - still do

Naval Volunteer - about 15 year ago.

... can't think of any others :(

The Forresters in WoT has closed and is now a Tesco Express. The White Horse is still there but the Westbury 8 challenge is now the Westbury 7 challenge.

Which is incredibly good going really considering the pub closure carnage in most areas.

We always made a detour to include the Eastfield anyway, so it was 9.

If one had to go I'd choose the Forresters, good old pub but a gas hell hole for many years.

Oh no. That is a cracking shame. It had bags of character especially loved the little side rooms with the take out servery counter :(

Ale straight out the barrel not many places did that. We've lost the Phoenix that used to do that although reopened with all the character taken out.

Others that used to do straight out the barrel are :

Myrtle Tree - still do

Naval Volunteer - about 15 year ago.

... can't think of any others :(

It was dying on it's feet. Temp. landlords, beer (especially the famous Draught Bass) not kept well and all the old locals who helped to make it special had died off.

Looks like the revamp has gone down surprisingly well though, judging by the reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186220-d3853361-Reviews-The_White_Horse-Bristol_England.html

Not my sort of thing by the sound of it, but I've got to the stage where I'm just pleased to see any old pub survive in any form so it at least has a chance to return at a later stage in a guise more to my taste.

Archived