IGNORED

Lost Brand Names

CyderInACan

Ah, Tiffany's ...... Freebird, Stairway to Heaven. No mention of The Dugout by the BEP maybe that had gone by the 80's?

WOT teenage heaven. Many a misspent hour in the POT, White Horse and Dirty Duck - all classic pubs. In those days, WOT was 50/50 red and blue. Didn't know the Foresters was a Gas pub. When did that happen? Nice to see a supermarket taking over an asset from the Gas though.

Odd, given the range of pubs in the village, that a lot of us went out to the country pubs in South Glos for drinks.

Tiffs. on a Tuesday heavy night. Slow dance at 11, loads of girls scrambling to form a queue outside the ladies a couple of minutes beforehand to avoid being asked. Hi Ho Silver lining singing competition at the end between City and Rovers fans, often spilling over into a fracas on the hill on the way out. Very sweaty place.

I can vouch for the Foresters being a Rovers' pub for at least 30 years - I had an altercation with a big group for having the audacity to walk in wearing my City scarf in '78. Had to leg it pretty sharpish down Stoke Lane with a baying mob on my tail!

Still up and running but, coming of age in the late 90's, I always viewed it as a pub for the slightly more sophisticated gentleman. Maybe it came up market since the 70/80's? Never seemed quite compatible with my particular depths of debauchery, at the time.

Used to get shit from gas heads in the Foresters by the early naughties, More2Sea.

By the end it was having 10 o'clock curfews and regularly being shut down by the police. sniff ;)

The POT was at it's best in the early to mid 80's, then the bloke managing it got married and took over the Prince of Wales. The POW was still serving good London Pride on my last visit.

I'm guessing that the Gasheads that used to stink out the Foresters have moved down the road to the White Horse judging by the number of Gas ticket offer posters on the walls the last time I went in there.

The last permanent landlord of the Hoss was certainly a gashead, but the clientele was very much split.

Too posh and feminised after the recent refurbishment for those ousted from the Foresters I would think, suspect the Mouse may be their pub of choice in WOT these days. Haven't visited for a long time but there always used to be a fair few Rovers' fans in there.

Used to drive them. 8 and 9, 24 and 25, 71, 72, 73 Ah those were the days.

Ah, I remember being a teenager in the mid 90's and getting the 24 City Dart to the Gate, from outside of Debenhams. The feeling of getting on and knowing you'd not miss kick off, pure bliss.

Ah, I remember being a teenager in the mid 90's and getting the 24 City Dart to the Gate, from outside of Debenhams. The feeling of getting on and knowing you'd not miss kick off, pure bliss.

When I drove the 24 and 25, they went from Lockleaze to Whitchurch Belland Drive. at that time from the Muller Road Depot   was a great Fish and Chip shop at the Belland Drive terminus.   I expect the 24 is now run from Ashton Depot, if it's still there..

http://bvbg.org.uk/routes1970.html

Bristol Omnibus Services (1970s routes/numbers)

My personal early bus trips to 'the Gate' were from the old Hanham Bus Depot on the No 9 - I started around 1968. Living at Cadbury Heath at the time match days were a walk to Hanham (sometimes bus 311 from Park Estate to Hanham) No 9 to The Gate, return to Hanham pick up the Green Un from Chris Crowes newsagents (opp Blue Bowl) then walk home reading about match we've just watched (& usually scoffing at another rovers defeat) heading across fields where the old Longwell Green Coach Works used to be (asda, b&q, etc etc now) dodging cow pats and crossing stiles (we used to play, walk dogs, get up to mischief throughout childhood in those fields -dammit no Village Green criteria then or we could've protected some real countryside with genuine leisure/agricultural credentials and thwarted the bulldozers tarmac roads and retail parks... ;) . Anyway across green pastures GreenUn, match program, scarf and rattle in hand, back home to Parkwall and a nice cup of tea, fishfingers beans and chips.. Those were the days eh?.

Anyway check out the old buses depots etc that served you lot in days gone by ... Bus conductors, ticket machines, open platforns , and the dreaded 'Blakey' style bus inspectors.. Brands no more!

My early bus trips were on the football special buses letter L from Knowle West to Duckmoor Rd. These buses seemed to run from most Bristol districts to the ground and were parked up for the match in the surrounding roads. No one had cars in them days.

More often than not we would walk to the match down Novers steps, Parson St then Winterstoke Rd and catch the bus home.

Bus drivers and conductors were sat around the pitch edge and went out in a procession with ten minutes to go to man the buses.

My early bus trips were on the football special buses letter L from Knowle West to Duckmoor Rd. These buses seemed to run from most Bristol districts to the ground and were parked up for the match in the surrounding roads. No one had cars in them days.

More often than not we would walk to the match down Novers steps, Parson St then Winterstoke Rd and catch the bus home.

Bus drivers and conductors were sat around the pitch edge and went out in a procession with ten minutes to go to man the buses.

Re: your last sentence,, those bus drivers and their offspring developed an addiction to City during the football special bus days... When the services were eventually discontinued these drivers couldn't adjust to 'normal Saturday duties' -and due to their aforementioned City addictions they all took voluntary redundancy. This resulted in almost 100% of them becoming season ticket holders, but addictions being what they are old habits die hard thus explaining why approx ten minutes before full time in any given game these guys vacate their seats in the Dolman and exit the ground. Seems 80minutes of football and

missing the final stages are so ingrained in their DNA that the offspring of these former drivers were born with the same addiction and habits of their fathers.

Dolman early leaver mystery phenomenon is thus hereby solved and explained -there is absolutely NO NEED FOR THE SUBJECT TO EVER BE RAISED ON THE FORUM HENCEFORTH - (to do so may even be deemed as contravening disability discrimination legislation) .

The last permanent landlord of the Hoss was certainly a gashead, but the clientele was very much split.

Too posh and feminised after the recent refurbishment for those ousted from the Foresters I would think, suspect the Mouse may be their pub of choice in WOT these days.

Went in on Saturday night for the first time since its refurbishment. It's lost all its character, recognised and old regular sat on his own at the bar desperately trying to hang on to the past but the word I would use to describe the place now is 'poncey'.

Real shame.

Too posh and feminised after the recent refurbishment for those ousted from the Foresters I would think, suspect the Mouse may be their pub of choice in WOT these days. Haven't visited for a long time but there always used to be a fair few Rovers' fans in there.

Can't see Billy and Elaine putting up with moronic gas heads, if they're still running it.

Was always quite a rugby pub in my day although he would indulge me re City and Sky TV punters were always welcome, of course. Was full of City fans for the 1-0 win away at Forest a few seasons ago - at about this time of year it was, funnily enough.

Sounds like a tour of the old village is in order once again..

Ashton bus depot on Winterstoke are is now a "retail park" with KFC, Halfords, Currys etc. The replacement bus depot is in Hengrove off Airport Rd opposite the old airfield.

Thanks!   Is that where PC World is now, right next to AG,  if so I was there in 2011 and then I watched City lose 2 - 3 to Reading. Never even though about it, mind you my depot was Muller Road, so never used to go there.  OH!  and by the way if anyone is looking for the Subbuteo City team of 2014- 2015 there is one available on eBay  the link is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRISTOL-CITY-2014-15-SUBBUTEO-TOP-SPIN-TEAM-/331462046977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2cad7501

Went in on Saturday night for the first time since its refurbishment. It's lost all its character, recognised and old regular sat on his own at the bar desperately trying to hang on to the past but the word I would use to describe the place now is 'poncey'.

Real shame.

Went in myself on Sunday.

It gets a 1 out of 10 from me and that's only because they were selling Taylor's Landlord.

The ancient hatch in the bar on the right as you go in was blocked off with one massive dining table filling the whole area. Most of the rest of the pub had upturned wine glasses and serviettes on the tables awaiting the diners. Oh, and the bogs in the snug were also blocked off, so anyone who goes in for just a pint faces a long trek upstairs through the diners.

No custom from us, we walked straight out after a quick look round, much to the disappointment of the manager and several hovering waitresses, but they'd have been aware from our comments that we didn't approve. 

Had a peep through the window of the POT on our walk back to the Downs, it was back to bare floorboards and barrels behind the bar and looked alot more promising than the Hoss.

I never thought I'd say that!

How come this is on Football Chat and the Richie Benaud thread has been move to non-Football? Just asking, like...

Who was Jack the Ripper; why do ships and planes disappear in the Bermuda Triangle; how did Ali Dia manage to fool Graeme Souness at Southampton; is Elvis alive and living on the moon? These mysteries pale into insignificance compared to the way the forum operates.

No idea, let's hope there wasn't an 'Annie St John' type incident.

I liked the popular Annie St John, such a shame life was too much for her...

Likewise also miss the mumbling, bumbling Michael St John, an HTV legend of a link presenter.

Late night (for those days) viewing was a must back then the HTV studios produced as much 'entertainment' as the TV shows themselves.

I liked the popular Annie St John, such a shame life was too much for her...

Likewise also miss the mumbling, bumbling Michael St John, an HTV legend of a link presenter.

Late night (for those days) viewing was a must back then the HTV studios produced as much 'entertainment' as the TV shows themselves.

Who couldn't fail to enjoy a Friday night in winter as Fred Wedlock and Sherry Eugene presented the Good Neighbour Show, before settling down to an episode of Winner Takes All, followed by Albion Market and then 3-2-1 or The Fall Guy before the main Friday night feature, The Professionals/CATS Eyes or if you were really lucky, The Gentle Touch.

Who was Jack the Ripper; why do ships and planes disappear in the Bermuda Triangle; how did Ali Dia manage to fool Graeme Souness at Southampton; is Elvis alive and living on the moon? These mysteries pale into insignificance compared to the way the forum operates.

Elvis living on the moon? ...... not according to the guy who works down the chip shop he isn't,

(erm, I'll say no more, the last person who perhaps said a little too much died in a rather suspicious speed boat 'accident' ... if you know what I mean) There is an interesting phrase going around though 'the King is dead - long live the King' ... hmm if that ain't a cryptic hint I donbt know what is...

Elvis living on the moon? ...... not according to the guy who works down the chip shop he isn't,

(erm, I'll say no more, the last person who perhaps said a little too much died in a rather suspicious speed boat 'accident' ... if you know what I mean) There is an interesting phrase going around though 'the King is dead - long live the King' ... hmm if that ain't a cryptic hint I donbt know what is...

When Kitsty McColl got killed, bits of her got washed up on the shore. The chemist was convinced he'd found a bit of leg, the baker thought he'd found some arm, and the man down the chip shop swears it's pelvis.

Archived