IGNORED

Lost Brand Names

CyderInACan

Thunderbirds.

Joe 90

Captain Scarlet

Playing Cowboys and indians .

Kids free to be outside on their own without paranoid parents.

Park keepers.

Bulldog in the playground .

French arrows with a gurt nail in the end.....bloody lethal

a bolt with two nuts on one end to accommodate cap gun ammo....big bang theory for skint kids !

The White Horse/Hoss/Hole in the Wall, W-O-T has just reopened as a gastro pub.

You'd go along way to find an old pub with more character, and characters, until it was extended in the early '80's, but the EP had a story at the time that the alternative was a supermarket.

Apparently they will have 6 ales on offer in the snug and the hatch next door, but from what I've seen of the extensive redecoration from peering through the window - not sure I could bear to go back in - the character of the old place has been obliterated. :no:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :(

F Troop and George of the Jungle.

Adam Adamant. Combat. The Brothers. The Virginian.

All those sets of cards we used to collect and swap at Primary School - The Monkees, 2nd World War, Batman, Joke cards.

Man from U.N.C.L.E. bullet hole stickers to put on unsuspecting car windows.

Johnny 7 - the only boy in our class who had one was very popular.

Tormenting elderly neighbours playing Knockout Ginger.

Discbat.

Jason King. But then he was found to have been a very naughty boy in Gloucester bus station bogs.

The White Horse/Hoss/Hole in the Wall, W-O-T has just reopened as a gastro pub.

You'd go along way to find an old pub with more character, and characters, until it was extended in the early '80's, but the EP had a story at the time that the alternative was a supermarket.

Apparently they will have 6 ales on offer in the snug and the hatch next door, but from what I've seen of the extensive redecoration from peering through the window - not sure I could bear to go back in - the character of the old place has been obliterated. :no:

That is very sad, although I haven't drank in there for probably 10 years - and it was dieing a bit of a death then.

My abiding memory was the stench of the place, it smelt like all proper pubs should but after about 5 minutes you became oblivious to it!

Like most of the traditional football grounds, a dive but oozing in character and now lost, sanitised for ever.

No great loss about the Forresters, only shame is Tesco getting their grubby hands on that beautiful building.

Alias Smith & Jones and, some time before, Car 54, Where Are You?

Way back when pre Casualty etc.... Emergency ward 10 .... Dr Kildare ......

& Raymond Burr as Perry Mason, later as cop in a wheelchair Ironside.

Think ZCars has been mentioned but later remember the pre The Bill police series Softly Softly.(weirdest name for a cop show ever?)

Maybe a dedicated thread of weirdly or oddly named TV series, or characters etc should follow this one?

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :(

That is very sad, although I haven't drank in there for probably 10 years - and it was dieing a bit of a death then.

My abiding memory was the stench of the place, it smelt like all proper pubs should but after about 5 minutes you became oblivious to it!

Like most of the traditional football grounds, a dive but oozing in character and now lost, sanitised for ever.

No great loss about the Forresters, only shame is Tesco getting their grubby hands on that beautiful building.

The Hoss was the first pub I ever went into, with my Dad and older brothers. In the mid 70's it still had spittoons on either side of the fireplace, which were later filled with sand for fag ends. The landlord, Bill Webb, was legendary, and the clientele, mostly middle aged and beyond, extremely loyal to the pub and welcoming, insisting you should partake of their snuff. It was always busy even at lunchtimes.

I caught a bus to WOT and back from BS3 for many years because it was such a great pub and the Draught Bass top notch.

From what I've heard the gastro pub dominates the 'new' extension of the early 80's rather than the two original bars which have seemingly just been redecorated, although saying that looking through the window the two old fireplaces seemed to have been painted blue/grey. So very much redecorated, and like many pubs more of a feminine feel about it.

Still slightly intriguing, and with 6 real ales on offer they must have put aside areas where you can feel comfortable just having a pint, so I may check it out for old times sake if I'm over that way.

This revamp seems to be the lesser of 2 evils, the other obviously being the likelihood of it's total demise.

I remember the POT at WOT. Proper job with salty Roast Potatoes on the bar on a Sunday. Is that one still going?

Way back when pre Casualty etc.... Emergency ward 10 .... Dr Kildare ......

& Raymond Burr as Perry Mason, later as cop in a wheelchair Ironside.

Think ZCars has been mentioned but later remember the pre The Bill police series Softly Softly.(weirdest name for a cop show ever?)

Maybe a dedicated thread of weirdly or oddly named TV series, or characters etc should follow this one?

Is that the series in which they used to drive an old Rover?

Ah, Tiffany's ...... Freebird, Stairway to Heaven. No mention of The Dugout by the BEP maybe that had gone by the 80's?

WOT teenage heaven. Many a misspent hour in the POT, White Horse and Dirty Duck - all classic pubs. In those days, WOT was 50/50 red and blue. Didn't know the Foresters was a Gas pub. When did that happen? Nice to see a supermarket taking over an asset from the Gas though.

Odd, given the range of pubs in the village, that a lot of us went out to the country pubs in South Glos for drinks.

I remember the POT at WOT. Proper job with salty Roast Potatoes on the bar on a Sunday. Is that one still going?

Still up and running but, coming of age in the late 90's, I always viewed it as a pub for the slightly more sophisticated gentleman. Maybe it came up market since the 70/80's? Never seemed quite compatible with my particular depths of debauchery, at the time.

Used to get shit from gas heads in the Foresters by the early naughties, More2Sea.

By the end it was having 10 o'clock curfews and regularly being shut down by the police. sniff ;)

Used to get shit from gas heads in the Foresters by the early naughties, More2Sea.

I'm guessing that the Gasheads that used to stink out the Foresters have moved down the road to the White Horse judging by the number of Gas ticket offer posters on the walls the last time I went in there.

who the hell stole Yugoslavia, USSR, Burma, Rhodesia, Czechoslovakia, Persia, Siam, Zaire, Abyssinia and the bloody Ottoman Empire?

NATO caught with its pants down there - not a shot fired.

"Send it to Siam by Zeppelin mail!"

"I can't find Siam in the book, sir; it must be out of date. Is it one of those new countries?"

The 'TELEGRAM' .... UK service stopped in 1982 ...

Last telegram service in the World stopped in India in 2013....

(there was something facinating quant and old fashioned about the image of the UK 'telegram boy' on a motorbike personally delivering important messages... STOP.)

People used to always get them sent as regrets messages at weddings. Now it's texts - or worse, tweets!

Archived