IGNORED

Lost Brand Names

CyderInACan

Whatever happened to everyone's favourite entertainer, Rolf Harris, and his advert where he's in a swimming pool surrounded by kids? How I miss that era where all your favourite tv personalities were up for doing stuff, half naked, surrounded by young children. Was a much happier time, no? I bet he didn't even get paid for doing that, selfless

(in your best Aussis accent) 'swimming, kids love it' (Rolf then lies back and we're left with a shot of his big toe wiggling.....it was his toe, yeah?)

Aztec Bars

Clan Dew

The Insurance Agent coming to collect the premiums every week.

The Football Pools man coming every week also

What about the sister bar of Aztec?.. Amazon.

I could hardly ever afford one of them.. they were always out of my weekly pocket money reach @ around 4 1/2p , A Mars was around 3p and I could just about manage one of them. But I usually went for a Milky Way @ 2p and spent the other 1p on a Sherbet Dip... Gert Lush my babbers.

Aids the diet thingy. Younger posters on here might not realise that there was a diet product up until the mid 1980s called Aids. Then a killer virus became prevalent in which victims were guaranteed to become a lot slimmer which became known as AIDS. I recall an MD of the Aids company saying, rather Canute like, at the time that they would continue to be known as Aids but I guess they did change name as haven't heard of them since.

Aids the diet thingy. Younger posters on here might not realise that there was a diet product up until the mid 1980s called Aids. Then a killer virus became prevalent in which victims were guaranteed to become a lot slimmer which became known as AIDS. I recall an MD of the Aids company saying, rather Canute like, at the time that they would continue to be known as Aids but I guess they did change name as haven't heard of them since.

Sounds like a Ratners sized faux pax that.

The company died from ignorance.

Aztec Bars

Clan Dew

The Insurance Agent coming to collect the premiums every week.

The Football Pools man coming every week also

I used to be that man. It was the advent of the National Lottery that eventually stopped me collecting. I used to collect for Littlewoods, Vernons and Zetters Pools,  from about 100 clients, but within six months of the Lotto starting, it had dropped to about 10 and wasn't worth me doing it. The commission I got from it used to pay for tickets to watch BCFC for myself and my 2 kids.

Was that the ones spelt with a Y- I remember some sort of "healthy" sweets called Ayds.

There is an Italian restaurant around the corner from me called Isis.  Every time I drive passed it I wonder how long it will it try and hold onto the name.

Also, another one for Bemmy lads, Frank Eddolls newsagents where you could buy single fags for about 12p each.

Poor old Frank.

He was a good old boy. The local little urchins (who shall remain nameless) stole stacks of stuff from his shop and yet he still welcomed them back with a joke and a smile.

I reckon that when the taxman visited and saw what was going on, he must've sympathised and realised that what Frank had declared as written-off stock or shrinkage was genuine.

Great for putting around your turban..."You damn coolie!" (Shakes head).

Aztec bars.

Bristol Rovers....whatever happened to they?

Aztec bars. They clinch the argument that Aztecs were Bristolians.

Think about Bristol's main industries - tobacco and chocolate - both Aztec products (one of which they called chocolatl).

Main Aztec god - Qetzlcoatl.

Main Aztec volcano - Popacatapetl.

Aztec West is, of course, the point from which Bristolians left to found the Aztec Empire.

Inter-City Inter-city big blue train away from it all and home again... (those ads conjured good images and feelings at the time) shame about the once popular 'star' who starred in 'em.

Was a great jingle though, they should bring the 'big blue trains' back again, Inter City trains, exactly what it said on the can.. (Virgin trains on the other hand... yeah right) ;)

Archived