IGNORED

Unbelievable

Phileas Fogg

I was replying to a speeding analogy if you care to look.

You and I both know that an individual pitch incursion or a pitch invasion the like of our last gas game, will be viewed by the police totally differently, one because an individual pitch incursion is easy to deal with and a gas type incursion has a public interest to it, a mass incursion like Saturday will always be viewed differently, however the law is still there if they wanted to use it then they could and if it was laughed out of court the police would be entitled to say **** it let them invade the pitch and we'll decide if there was serious disorder and act accordingly after the game, I seem to recall the police got a lot of stick after the gas game because they were slow to react to what had been unfolding 10 minutes before the final whistle.

As for the Swindon Town song, the same applies an individual is far more likely to be arrested for singing that song than a crowd of people and that arrest would be far more likely IF it was to happen away from the ground.

I think you've somehow got me mixed up with somebody who was totally against the pitch invasion, but if you read my comments after the one you replied to you will see that is not the case.

Now if you want to talk about the indiscriminate throwing of a smoke grenade during a pitch invasion, that's another matter.

I appreciate that was what you were responding to, I just raised the singing as perhaps a more pertinent example of what could arise inside the confines of a stadium.

As for the criminal point I will state this. I do not believe that an invasion of the type we are talking about contravenes criminal law. I believe a magistrate would be directed or a judge would decide that the law does not apply in the present circumstances.

And what is the relevance I must ask? The supporters club and the football club are two completely different entities. In fact the supporters club is intended to be a check on the club.

In any case I would expect the supporters club, which represents equally both those which ran on the pitch and those that didn't (consider that for a few minutes), would probably spout 'preferably don't, but lets be sensible about things, it happens'.

The relevance is that most supporters did not go onto the pitch and the club, clearly, did not want it to happen, yet Dolly who is perhaps one of the most high profile members of the ST is condoning it.  The ST claim to represent supporters so why should we not follow their lead?

On the pitch after the Walsall game it is then.  Delay the Trophy presentation and risk repercussions against the club.  Knockout.

I cannot believe some of the sanctimonious drivel that's been spouted on this thread. We've won the title for the first time in God knows how many years, and we're told that we should all sit in our seats like good little boys and girls and watch a celebration choreographed for the Sky cameras.

Hey - it's our title, too. We've suffered years of misery and shite and still coughed up our hard-earned for the club. How about us being part of the celebration, too? I'm not advocating people throwing fireworks about, that's the act of juvenile idiots, but why can't we celebrate with the players? We promise not to punch the horses, honest.

Third time this year I agree with you.....

......I need to sit down

The relevance is that most supporters did not go onto the pitch and the club, clearly, did not want it to happen, yet Dolly who is perhaps one of the most high profile members of the ST is condoning it.  The ST claim to represent supporters so why should we not follow their lead?

On the pitch after the Walsall game it is then.  Delay the Trophy presentation and risk repercussions against the club.  Knockout.

We represent all supporters, those that chose to stay in their seats and those that didn't.

A cross section of fans represented by a cross section of board members.

Surely the simple solution is to say "we've had our pitch invasion already" for which we'll get, at most, a small slap on the wrists as a fine with the threat of further punishment it it happens again (even the FA aren't that stupid) and stay OFF the pitch when we play Walsall. Is that really too much to ask, whether you agree with it or not?

I appreciate that was what you were responding to, I just raised the singing as perhaps a more pertinent example of what could arise inside the confines of a stadium.

As for the criminal point I will state this. I do not believe that an invasion of the type we are talking about contravenes criminal law. I believe a magistrate would be directed or a judge would decide that the law does not apply in the present circumstances.

Well i'm not so sure, I do not believe that there is any exemption within the legislation, apart obviously for genuine safety issues.

Once you set foot on the pitch you commit an offence and I suspect that it's an absolute offence.

The relevance is that most supporters did not go onto the pitch and the club, clearly, did not want it to happen, yet Dolly who is perhaps one of the most high profile members of the ST is condoning it. The ST claim to represent supporters so why should we not follow their lead?

On the pitch after the Walsall game it is then. Delay the Trophy presentation and risk repercussions against the club. Knockout.

Any why couldn't/shouldn't the supporters club condone it. If the supporters club had to toe club line all the time what would be the point in its existence.

In any case why should the supporters club even have a position on the matter?

Well i'm not so sure, I do not believe that there is any exemption within the legislation, apart obviously for genuine safety issues.

Once you set foot on the pitch you commit an offence and I suspect that it's an absolute offence.

It's not a point about exemption, it's a point about how you take what has been enacted by parliament and apply it.

There are a number of approaches: literal rule, golden rule, mischievous approach and a purposive approach. I won't bore you with how they each operate suffice to say one is just take the words on their face value right through to thinking what was parliament's intention with this law and does it apply to the present circumstances.

My opinion is you'd be hard pressed to find a judge who wouldn't consider the purpose of the legislation was not to apply to a last game of the season invasion. That being so no criminal offence has been committed.

I think the FA probably got to make noises about it, afterall I guess it's a very different thing if it was a fierce rival, or say we had just ruined someone's chances of playoffs. But there are pitch invasions and there are pitch invasions. We know this but the FA only sees in black and white

You shouldn't go on the pitch. End of.

In Australia you're fined $6,000 and they hold you to it too.

I know a bloke that had to pay.

We (as a country) need to start fining pitch invaders and not clubs.

You shouldn't go on the pitch. End of.

In Australia you're fined $6,000 and they hold you to it too.

I know a bloke that had to pay.

We (as a country) need to start fining pitch invaders and not clubs.

Another reason not to live in that country then.

I have never heard so much sanctimonious rubbish in all my life which has been spouted on here.There won't be a pitch invasion against Walsall as it has been done already.We will be presented with the trophy on the pitch and happy days.We will not be deducted points because if it happened the Rovers would now be being relegated to the conference south.So let's just get on with each other and let this subject die a death.

Champions after 60 years? That was a pitch invasion?? :read:

11111559_10152820294287514_7835850551311

This is a pitch invasion :yes:  No problem back then. For celebrations there is nothing better for young kids etc to give the players a pat on the back.. Lighten up,, sad, sad thread to read in a historic season..

11156250_10152820294332514_6659781389991

I have never heard so much sanctimonious rubbish in all my life which has been spouted on here.There won't be a pitch invasion against Walsall as it has been done already.We will be presented with the trophy on the pitch and happy days.We will not be deducted points because if it happened the Rovers would now be being relegated to the conference south.So let's just get on with each other and let this subject die a death.

Think there will be though....

/Rant mode on

It seems to me that this country is rapidly approaching the situation where everything that isn't compulsory is forbidden. Rather than being ruled by Common Law, where the presumption is that, if it's not a crime, then you can do it, we seem to have the Continental idea that every possible situation is covered by specific legislation. Mostly this presumes that if it's not specifically permitted, you can't do it.

Left and Right wing politicians only differ as to which things should be banned and permitted, but they take it as a given that it should be one or the other. One thing I do observe as I approach 70 is how much less freedom young people have than when I was their age and, alas, so many seem to accept it without a thought. If we'd been told that all under-25's needed to carry ID cards to get a drink, there'd have been riots. Now it's meekly accepted.

/Rant mode off

Champions after 60 years? That was a pitch invasion?? :read:

11111559_10152820294287514_7835850551311

This is a pitch invasion :yes: No problem back then. For celebrations there is nothing better for young kids etc to give the players a pat on the back.. Lighten up,, sad, sad thread to read in a historic season..

11156250_10152820294332514_6659781389991

The only thing we should be embarrassed about as supporter of this fine club, is not that we entered the field, but that so few of us did.

/Rant mode on

It seems to me that this country is rapidly approaching the situation where everything that isn't compulsory is forbidden. Rather than being ruled by Common Law, where the presumption is that, if it's not a crime, then you can do it, we seem to have the Continental idea that every possible situation is covered by specific legislation. Mostly this presumes that if it's not specifically permitted, you can't do it.

Left and Right wing politicians only differ as to which things should be banned and permitted, but they take it as a given that it should be one or the other. One thing I do observe as I approach 70 is how much less freedom young people have than when I was their age and, alas, so many seem to accept it without a thought. If we'd been told that all under-25's needed to carry ID cards to get a drink, there'd have been riots. Now it's meekly accepted.

/Rant mode off

Right on man...

The reason you can invade the pitch is because they took away the cages. Ffs, manager asked, we're trying to get safe standing, we're no longer policed as we were. And this is from someone invited onto the pitch in the 80's. Been there done that.

Younger head on

I would love that everyone stayed off the pitch at the final whistle and then the club open all the gates at the end when the presentation happens in a stand.

I agree there is is no sanity in this, pitch invasion will happen so better to organise it.

What goal is that then?

The one vs Maidstone that came off his arse!!!

Back on topic... I'd much rather the club just came out and said

"right, you've had your fun. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves. This trophy malarkey is big boy shit now, let's leave it to the guys who made it happen to celebrate on the pitch on their own and stay in your seats to enjoy it"....

Back on topic... I'd much rather the club just came out and said

"right, you've had your fun. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves. This trophy malarkey is big boy shit now, let's leave it to the guys who made it happen to celebrate on the pitch on their own and stay in your seats to enjoy it"....

Yep! that simple, your in the wrong job ;)

Archived