IGNORED

Jet Tweet?! - Jet Is Departing (Merged Topics)

BA12RED

Best post on this thread, agree with every word.

My interest will be in where JET ends up, Birmingham IMO with their still undecided financial woes, would be a dodgy move for him and maybe not a step up. I think he deserves better than that, Wolves fearful of losing Bakary Sako (according to Jackett) might be a better fit IMO. Even QPR wherever the end up, I still believe wages will be an issue for some clubs.

But it will be interesting to actually see the quality of his potential suitors.

Thanks mate.

Part of what is hard to accept about it is the fact that he may end up going to an established Championship club. He still has age on his side and I honestly believe he would be an asset next year, especially when trying to unlock the more intelligent and well organised Championship defences.

I really will be intrigued to see where he ends up and if he goes on to be a bit part player or really kick on.

And I'm sure he will be having lots of offers from prem teams and teams from Spain and Italy now he's a free agent, as I expect the managers who know the game better you and I agree with yourself and Ed.

As for genius, we had a genius warming the bench for best part of a season??!!!!

Was SC aware of this???

The words I used are ' genius with a football' which he is. He can do things that other players can only dream of.

He is a classic case of a player having to play in the right team to suit his talents.

Could not agree more... if he does turn out against us in the future I for one will be giving him loud applause... this has taken some of the gloss off what has been an incredible last few weeks. 

Agree. I most definitely will be giving him a loud applause should he ever return to the Gate.

The words I used are ' genius with a football' which he is. He can do things that other players can only dream of.

He is a classic case of a player having to play in the right team to suit his talents.

Like Arsenal then??

A "genius with a football" that has been released by a team that's just won the 3rd tier of English football.

Yes a very skilful player indeed but sadly that doesn't make you a great player or give you a God given right to play first team football week in week out, as proven this season

Apart from all the incredible goals, moments of sublime genius, the ability to lift a crowd to their feet and pull their jaws to the floor, apart from dribbling past defenders  and leaving them befuddled, dizzy and on their arse.....apart from producing moments of magic that will live with you until the day you die and make you appreciate what a wonderful and beautiful sport football is....

...he didn't really track back enough did he. JET OUT!

After such a ridiculously good season this feels like a real sucker punch.JET is the kind of player that supporters pay their money to watch,but only get to see a few times in their supporting "career". A real bag of tricks on the pitch and comes across as a fantastic bloke,even though there must have been plenty of frustrating times for him here.Never seemed to let the bench time get on top of him and always had a smile and time for the fans.All the best wherever you end up next Jay,it has been a pleasure having you at our club.

Apart from all the incredible goals, moments of sublime genius, the ability to lift a crowd to their feet and pull their jaws to the floor, apart from dribbling past defenders  and leaving them befuddled, dizzy and on their arse.....apart from producing moments of magic that will live with you until the day you die and make you appreciate what a wonderful and beautiful sport football is....

...he didn't really track back enough did he. JET OUT!

I understand that's exactly what Steve Cotterill said to him this morning.

What we do not know is whether there was any backstory, in terms of him letting it known he was going to shop around as a free agent?

From a football perspective, Cotts has to win games, knows how he wants to play, and in hard nosed managerial mode has made a decision, that may be 'right'.

From a fans perspective, let's be honest, over decades you are likely to lose as many as you win. Have as many bad seasons as good. What makes the average season worth going to is players like JET, who in one moment do something others cannot. Something that sticks in the mind. For that reason he is a huge huge loss, and frankly we lose that hope that a sprinkling of fairy dust just may brighten up an otherwise dull day. Whatever the result.

He has acted with great professionalism throughout his two minute sub appearances and I wish him every possible success.

and then I remembered the other 89 minutes

Like Arsenal then??

A "genius with a football" that has been released by a team that's just won the 3rd tier of English football.

Yes a very skilful player indeed but sadly that doesn't make you a great player or give you a God given right to play first team football week in week out, as proven this season

No, he's not Messi. But we're not Barcelona. He's as good as we get!

I trust whatever Cotterill's decision as he has produced the best season in many a year for us.

I think JETs time has been up with us for a few months and he will be remembered as a great for us and goes out on a high.

To say its put a damp squib on the week? Bit OTT for me, this lack of ruthlessness and putting loyalty in fans favourites has cost us many a time over the years and I for one am delighted we have a manager who is prepared to take a risk and is ruthless when needs be.

Cannot wait to see who Cotts has lined up now.

My guess is that the club are spinning it as 100% the club's decision and that's not quite the truth.

With my cynical hat on I'd suggest JET is well aware that he'll have no shortage of suitors and said that he wants some kind of first team football guarantee, which Cotts isn't prepared to make, and so a 'mutual' parting of ways is best for all parties.

And to all those acting like its the absolute end of days, let's not forget we pissed the league and have barely been off the top all season, with JET being a rotation player not a regular.

I think if ever a manager has earned our trust, it's now.

I'm a JET fan and am gutted that he is going but whatever we think it aint going to make a blind bit of difference. We have to simply thank JET for his time here and trust in Cotts decision and move on. No point dwelling in the past, lets look forward to SC's next fantastic group of signings and take the Championship by storm.

I'm a JET fan and am gutted that he is going but whatever we think it aint going to make a blind bit of difference. We have to simply thank JET for his time here and trust in Cotts decision and move on. No point dwelling in the past, lets look forward to SC's next fantastic group of signings and take the Championship by storm.

I agree with this.

My guess is that the club are spinning it as 100% the club's decision and that's not quite the truth.

With my cynical hat on I'd suggest JET is well aware that he'll have no shortage of suitors and said that he wants some kind of first team football guarantee, which Cotts isn't prepared to make, and so a 'mutual' parting of ways is best for all parties.

And to all those acting like its the absolute end of days, let's not forget we pissed the league and have barely been off the top all season, with JET being a rotation player not a regular.

I think if ever a manager has earned our trust, it's now.

Exactly my thoughts too. Couldn't blame JET at all for wanting to play more regularly, and tbh I'd question his desire a bit if he didn't. But at the same time Cotts can point to how well the team have done without him being a regular starter and that in a higher league that isn't likely to change.

Can absolutely understand that people are gutted he's gone, I am a bit too, but life goes on and we wait and see who's lined up as a replacement.

I'm not going to get into whether we should've kept him or not, I'm just gonna say a big thank you Jay for the entertainment and joy you've given me over the past two years.

If/when you return to AG, I for one will give you a rapturous reception and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

For once i think its a shame we didn't dole out a 3 year contract to JET like the old days (ignoring the El-Abd fiasco). Sadly he turned up just as SOD was cutting our cloth and seeing as JET was deemed a risk he was only given that 2 year deal.

The reality is JET wouldn't have accepted less than another 2 year deal which to me would have been us taking a big chance on a 'backup player' relatively unproven in the championship. We really needed one more year so we didn't get lumbered with a big contract for a player not used if things hadn't worked out.

Sadly things haven't worked out timing wise and he is leaving, great character and as others have said they type of player who can change a game.

Good luck wherever he ends up, in the right system now he matured a little i think he could really shine.

Sad to see him go but not surprised. A very, very good player for us in terms of goals and assists alone before you even look at entertainment.

The problem this gives the manager though is that if you're letting JET walk, the players you pay money to bring in have to be better. That's going to be a tough comparison.

It is. But not impossible.

Jay has scored 34 for us in 82 appearances.

Certainly not too shabby, but not something that is totally beyond other players.

It is. But not impossible.

Jay has scored 34 for us in 82 appearances.

Certainly not too shabby, but not something that is totally beyond other players.

That's an extremely disingenuous way of expressing statistics when around a third of those were cameos. Goals and assists per minutes on the pitch his ratio is about double any other player we've had for a long time.

JET scored every 135 minutes.

Agard (For us alone, not counting Rotherham appearances) every 219.

Wilbraham every 173

Flint every 306.

EDIT: Does not include JPT games.

Interesting fact, although he was playing against players with 80 minutes under their belts.

That's an extremely disingenuous way of expressing statistics when around a third of those were cameos. Goals and assists per minutes on the pitch his ratio is about double any other player we've had for a long time.

Until we know who is coming in we have no idea how we can compare outgoing to incoming. No point decrying the move as a mistake and wringing our hands until the squad recruitment is done.

We have to remember that JET looked a great player at L1 level. Cotts has decided that he's not who he wants as first choice striker at Championship level, and correctly observed that JET soon loses fitness (and sharpness) if he isn't getting regular first team football. Anyone who witnessed his shambolic performance against Wimbledon will attest to that. It's very sad that we are losing such a likable, talented, entertaining and - at times - astonishing player, but I trust the manager's judgement. The judgement that has brought us our most successful season in many people's lifetimes.

Until we know who is coming in we have no idea how we can compare outgoing to incoming. No point decrying the move as a mistake and wringing our hands until the squad recruitment is done.

We have to remember that JET looked a great player at L1 level. Cotts has decided that he's not who he wants as first choice striker at Championship level, and correctly observed that JET soon loses fitness (and sharpness) if he isn't getting regular first team football. Anyone who witnessed his shambolic performance against Wimbledon will attest to that. It's very sad that we are losing such a likable, talented, entertaining and - at times - astonishing player, but I trust the manager's judgement. The judgement that has brought us our most successful season in many people's lifetimes.

Agree. I also trust in Cotterill's judgement on this one.

Archived