IGNORED

Jet Tweet?! - Jet Is Departing (Merged Topics)

BA12RED

Interesting...I have heard that actually money may have had a bearing on the decision to release JET. Sounds like he was actually on a very big wage at Ipswich. If people recall this was quite a stumbling block that had to be overcome when we signed him and the rumour always went that Ipswich were continuing to pay part of his wages. So maybe not just 'footballing reasons' why we let him go.

Just thought I'd post it and maybe others have heard the same...

Interesting...I have heard that actually money may have had a bearing on the decision to release JET. Sounds like he was actually on a very big wage at Ipswich. If people recall this was quite a stumbling block that had to be overcome when we signed him and the rumour always went that Ipswich were continuing to pay part of his wages. So maybe not just 'footballing reasons' why we let him go.

I always assumed JET was on a big wage here mate?!?

I always assumed JET was on a big wage here mate?!?

He was the best paid player at the club - you can't have the best paid player at the club sitting on the bench for 75+ minutes every game. No player at 24 is going to accept a contract on less money than they're already on, and no club is going to keep an expensive player of their books for the sake of them being a good egg around the dressing room. 4 years ago we would've offered him a 3 year deal on the same/more money, we aren't that club any more (thank god).

I think the writing was on the wall that he was off months ago.

The main problem with JET is that he came back from pre-season needing to shed more timber than the others. Everyone said he looked too big at the time. It seemed to take him until November/December time to get to his optimum level of fitness and that was the time when he did a great job alongside Smith.

I understand all the arguments about "game changer", "superb ability" and all that but perhaps Cotterill, knowing what sort of wedge JET would command in the Championship, simply thought, whilst at the same time looking at JET's record to date in Championship football, "Lansdown has made it clear he is not a bottomless pit of cash and within the budget he has set me I can get a more productive player for that money, someone who turns up in pre-season fit and can give me 46 games per season and not 16".

JET is someone I have enjoyed watching play immensely and has great natural talent that he sometimes displays but there have been many occasions when he has frustrated the pants off everyone too. So if Cotterill thinks he can spend the money he's got in a better way then it's his ar$e on the line and we have to trust him. I think he's earned that trust in the time he's been here if nothing else and if it does go pear shaped there will be no shortage of "takers" ready to lay the boot in on here that's for sure. That's the life of a Manager.

I heard the same thing, tho what I heard was he was on 15k a week at ipswich and they agreed to pay 8k of his wages til the end of his contract (at ipswich) which I believe was this year hence only signing a 2 year deal with us,

I thought it was bollocks at the time but its similar to what you have posted so may have legs

surely going up will mean bigger wages ? if we dont pay better players wont come, if we do championship on the cheap  with some great teams coming to the gate  we might not do so well as people think .

It is written into players contracts (those still under contract that is) that they get a substantial pay rise if we get promoted so that is not an issue. Presumably Cotterill thinks he can do better for the wages that JET would want. Nothing whatsoever to do with "doing things on the cheap" and everything to do with spending the budget Lansdown has given him to the best of his ability (whether we agree with his decisions or not that's his main job until we get back to playing football again).

Archived